PDA

View Full Version : Stop and ask..Hey do you need some help?

tombstone
10-19-2010, 11:37 AM
My neighbour buddy and I were up hunting Quesnell area for his leh moose for a 10 day hunt. Had a great trip,nice suntanning weather, but still managed to fill our tags, more on that later.
Anyways why I'm writing this....
On about our 4th day, we were in the truck looking over some new logging cut blocks, it was about 12 noon and 23 deg when we drove by a local hunter, it looked like he had probably dropped something and was working on it and it kind of looked like he was maybe alone, we exchanged waves and drove on.
What do we always do when we are hunting alone? I know! we think we can manage by ourselves and are allways too Proud or feel too Stupid to ask for help when we need it.
So after a km or so I thought we should go back and ask the dude about this area we were new to, and see if he needed any help. We had time to kill while we waited for evening.I think Scott was his name, maybe, so we stop and walk over the bank, Hey could ya use some help?? "I sure could if you don't mind"was his reply. We were more than willing and Scott was very appreciative, as we spent the next hour and a half pulling his 3 point bull out of the slash and loading it into his truck. The poor guy was so beat I don't know if he could have kept going much longer, it was hot out, lol,

It so happens, He shot his annimal at 7am, gutted it out, and tried to pull it within his rope length with a come along, which he broke, and had it hooked up to his quad and was trying to pull it up a hill with great difficulty as it kept getting hung up, hence, off on off on, so needless to say, with that temperature and 5 hours later and his moose still 100 yrds down the bank, it was a good thing for him that we stopped and asked if he needed a hand, that annimal had to get to the cooler and it would be a shame if it went bad.
Terry and I really enjoyed helping Scott out and chating with him.
That was one of the best parts of our trip!
Hope Scott made out ok with his bull!
So if it looks like someone may be struggling or by himself and might need a hand, Ask him or her if they need help! cause we are all hunters enjoying our time out there and we want to be safe and to keep our game as fresh as possible!
So anyways
day one, got the hell scared out of me when I was sneeking up to my slash in the morning and a big bull let out a couple of grunts that echoed through the timber and hills lol,our bull draw wasn't open till the next day so we got the hell out of there,
next few days we saw cows ,calves,does,2 point muley,bears,and helped Scott, nothing to shoot.
Sun our luck changed, we saw quite a bit of game, In the morning we spotted a 4-5 point bull in the slash about 5 or 600 yrds, didn't pull on it and he got away before we could get closer, but later in the evening I quaded up to my special spot, did some calling and scraping and I dropped a 3 point bull in my slash.We passed on another 2 point muley and saw couple of coyotes, lots of bears( one close call with sow and her cubs) plenty of grouse which we left alone, does, cows and calves, God I Love It!!
Couple days later, got my 3 point muley, and on last day of hunting Terry passed on a spike and a 2point but later that day we filled his tag with yet a 2point, lol
Had a great Time
As I grew up in the kootenays, I just Love hunting in the interior of B.C.
can't get muchg better!!!
Cheers!

slowkey
10-19-2010, 11:44 AM
a nice upbeat pleasant story of a hunters helping hunters! thank you and congrats on a successful hunt

Peters Wildlife
10-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Good on ya Tombstone!

steel_ram
10-19-2010, 11:51 AM
I was hunting up Quesnel ways alone. Dropped a moose about 100 yards from where I could get my truck to. Couple of local hunters came buy, saw I shot "their moose", grinned and wished me a sarcistic "good luck" and drove off.

I managed.

Rodd
10-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Couldn't agree more, thats why I hunt too.... Enjoyment of the beautiful area we all call home!

Bowzone_Mikey
10-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Nice .....
Karma will get you back

10-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Its always good to help. Some times you can reallly bail a guy out with little effort.

I was fishing the WigWam with my wife and father summer before last. Thoes who know it can attest to how steep and hard it is to get to. There were two guys walking down the road way before the rec. site on the river. We waved and drove by. About 100yds later i thought.... Where could these guys have parked? this is a one laner on a mountain! So we backed up and asked if they wanted a ride. They did.

These guys had put in a mega trip on the Wiggie. Had fished down for a few miles, walked up the mountail to the road and had a good few miles to walk back to the car..... in waders.

They thanked us drank a gallon of water and left. Happier we stopped im sure! Oh ya it was late July an 30deg out! But the fishin was worth ever bit for all of us!

moosinaround
10-19-2010, 12:27 PM
I helped out a fellow this past summer. They were heading to Bowron Lake Park to do the canoe trip for 7 days and thought they could cross from Purden lake down the Bowron FSR to Bowron lake, as it shows that the road connects on the BC backroads map. Well it doesn't for vehicles due to deactivations. He was on his way out and blew a tire on the fancy suburban they had rented in San Antonio Texas!!!:shock::shock: So the tire carrier on the Burban was pooched and he had NO tools to get the tire off. He was thinking he was gonna walk out the 70 or so kms to the Highway? So my son, father in law and I happen by on quads, I see his predicament and dig out my tools and start fixin! Next thing you know we got him on his way, and they hopefully made thier canoe time slot. This fellow was a eye surgeon from John Hopkins Hospital in San Antonio Texas!! When I found out I changed his tire for him too! I felt good helping out a fellow outdoor enthusiast, and I hope he has good stories to tell his friends about our province! Moosin

shawnwells
10-19-2010, 12:32 PM
good for you last year we found a lone hunter that had been walking for a looooong time to get help because he was stuck(as hell) way in the back of an area....was a pleasure to get him out...he woulda been done if we didnt come along....

todbartell
10-19-2010, 12:37 PM
shoulda asked for half his meat before helping like some people would LOL

good on ya tombstone!

Big Lew
10-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Most of us that have travelled the back roads for years have many great stories and feelings about helping others. One of mine I'll always remember was on the steep road up to Johnson lake north of Kamloops over forty years ago. Two very overweight, middle-aged brothers from Washington and Oregon had blown a radiator pipe on their old jeep pickup that was carrying a heavy wooden home-made camper about halfway up the hill early in the morning. We came by in the late afternoon, stopped and asked if they needed any help. They had soldered the pipe back on, but didn't have any water to re-fill the radiator....they were melting their ice trying to get enough. In their shape, it was impossible to walk the long distance needed to get water. As we were filling their radiator, they told us that people had driven by all day without stopping, and some would laugh as they raced by. (I suspect because they were dressed in Hutterite or Mormon bibbed over-alls and large felt hats) We made sure they arrived in camp, and later had a very nice visit. The next day we had outboard motor trouble and they came over, pulled it apart and fixed it for us...tit for tat.

rocksteady
10-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Karma is a very powerful thing (if you believe in it, at all)...Good Karma or bad Karma...Can be coming your way....

Not sure if I believe in Karma, but I always try to help others out, if there is such a thing as Karma, I should be reincarnated as the next Hugh Heffner:-D:-D

10-19-2010, 01:59 PM
I would have pointed and laughed.

JK...good for you...like others have said, good karma heading your way

Sitkaspruce
10-19-2010, 02:09 PM
My neighbour buddy and I were up hunting Quesnell area for his leh moose for a 10 day hunt..... and I dropped a 3 point bull in my slash.

Hey Tombstone

Not to be a saint or such, but what you said better be a mistake or a typo........:?

And good on you for offering help. We always stop when we see a truck on the side of the road, just to make sure. I have found a few people w/o gas, lost and one who needed medical help. You just never know!!!

Cheers

SS

BimmerBob
10-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Way to go tombstone! Good karma and it changed your trip from being a nice outing to a successful hunt. Thanks for sharing, Bob

10-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Hey Tombstone

Not to be a saint or such, but what you said better be a mistake or a typo........:?

And good on you for offering help. We always stop when we see a truck on the side of the road, just to make sure. I have found a few people w/o gas, lost and one who needed medical help. You just never know!!!

Cheers

SS

Dont worry he used up his Karma to cover that! :mrgreen:

moosecaller
10-19-2010, 03:26 PM
It is nice to help out your fellow neighbour , but we still have to be cautious I know a fellow who helped out a supposed stranded motorist and got an arrow in the face for his efforts! Foutunatly he lived. Maybe not quite the same thing but there are some crazies out there and perhaps this has changed us into fend for yourself type society, really too bad.

Jelvis
10-19-2010, 03:33 PM
My buddy won't accept help with a downed moose, does it all himself and then brags about it after when asked about hunting moose by himself.
Hunts it, shoots it and guts, quarters it and packs it and won't accept help, then tells people he does it all himself like it's nothing .. lol ..
Jel .. Hey some guys can do it all like it's fun .. lol .. some one asked need help pal? No he said keep hunting
.. He figures the help will want something for free anyways .. kinda sinical lol ..

sawmill
10-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Good on Ya!

I busted my ankle one time a mile or so back in the bush moose hunting,crawled all the way back out to the road,damn near puking from the pain.I hit the road about a half mile from my truck and as I crawled down the road,dragging my busted leg at least 50 vehicles drove by ,slowed down ,then kept going.I cursed every one of the SOB`s and I hope they all have horrible lives.Made it to the rig,climbed in and drove to the Hospital.
Believe me,when I see a guy needs help,I help.

Rattler
10-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Great job guys. Nice to see good stories like this....

moosinaround
10-19-2010, 06:29 PM
I pulled a lady out of the ditch one time. She was rounding up cattle and hit the ditch and just about rolled the truck over. She was pretty shook up for a cow girl!:wink: I hooked on to her truck and yanked her out of the ditch, and she offered me one of her prized cattle dog puppies for being a good samartian. I have been rescued myself out there, having to ask for a boost or tow a time or two! It is a Karma thing for sure!! Moosin

huntersam
10-19-2010, 06:51 PM
good for you helping that guy and nice work tagging out, show us the pics!

tombstone
10-19-2010, 07:20 PM
thankx for the comeback guys
yes, great storys and we've all been on both ends and enjoyed it all
ps: I did ask him for something, "do you have time for a cold beer" lol
SS what do ya meen typo?

tombstone
10-19-2010, 07:58 PM
sorry not much to add for pics, maybe my 3 pnt muley
didn't have my camera for the moose
I can't figure out how to resize it so it would be accepted here, says it's to big, and I'm not very computer savy, if anyone could help I'll send some

Sitkaspruce
10-19-2010, 09:13 PM
SS what do ya meen typo?

Read you original post. I also highlighted what you said in my original post.

His LEH and you shot a three point bull. Last time I checked, you cannot shoot someone else's LEH bull and you cannot shoot a three point bull without an LEH, so either you Po...ed it or you meant to say two point bull.:confused:

Lots of people on here who look for this kind of stuff.

Cheers

SS

Phil
10-19-2010, 09:27 PM
I came accross a hunter this year who had just dropped a moose and was all alone too. I helped him gut it and get it into his truck. Luckily a few of his buds came along for the lift. He was very appreciative and I had fun. It's great to help out and pass the good spirit along.

rainman
10-19-2010, 10:06 PM
this is why we are respected the world over we are CANADIANS and known for these acts ,totally different scenario i was at a gas station in august and a motorhome trailering an suv was in obvious difficulty,he could not get out of the stall because the suv was jacknifed and they were an elderly couple and the suv wouldnt swing around like it should...i was in a rush because i have 3 kids and we both work,nuff said.......but i couldnt leave them thjere knowing they nwere in trouble,not going to fix my typing errors at this point,so i took ten minutes pulleed some pins did some jockeying around with the suv and got them on there way...last thing they said was thats why we love you canadians...good enough for me

BlacktailStalker
10-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Good on you, it'll come back to you one day guaranteed.
I've picked up a couple hunters trekking a long way back to their truck in 15" of snow when one had a bad knee, actually it was "115 or bust" and his dad coincidently, off this forum.
I've pulled guys out of the ditch (have a 1 ton truck and 15ton tow strap at all times) and I also ran into a Dad with 2 sons who had shot a 2 pt across a ravine about 50-60 deep. All three had skate shoes on (nice white ones!) and I was just going for a ride but had carharts on etc, so I hooked their buck up and brought it across for them.
They were happy about that but I was more envious of the 2 kids hunting with their old man.

I think I was repaid for all that this year making buddys with a welder on my hunting trip and having my cracked frame fixed before a 1200km drive home :cool:

What goes around comes around.

model88
10-20-2010, 02:04 AM
Years back, I was driving home from hunting, was pouring rain. In the lights, I saw a guy standing on the highway with a gun on his shoulder, I stopped and asked if he needed help. Turned out that their truck was stuck, he had sent his buddy for help, hours ago and he hadnt showed up yet. Just as he got in my Jeep, a truck turned up the road where he had come out of, it was his buddy with help. Followed him up to the stuck truck, good thing there was two trucks, because it took both of us to get him out :shock:

Another time, while pulling horses out of Settlers road by Radium, came across a guy with a flat, no spare, gave him a ride into town and then back to his rig, sooner or later I will need the favour returned and hopefully one good turn deserves another :wink:

ravensfoot
10-20-2010, 07:55 AM
What comes around goes around. Helped many hunters out and have had the same come back to me. If I ever get help from another, I always keep an extra case of beer or bottle of booze on hand as a thank you gift.

Had a similar story a couple of years ago, helped out a guy hunting by himself gut and load an immature bull moose into his truck in the dark. No way he would have been able to do it on his own and I learned a couple of new tricks at the same time.

.330 Dakota
10-20-2010, 09:13 AM
"Do unto others", "reap what you sow" yup karma will catch the guys that drive by for no reason

greybark
10-20-2010, 07:50 PM
:-D Hey Tomestone , Great post and a friendy reminder on helping others .