PDA

View Full Version : First duck of the year. Oct 16 2010

warnniklz
10-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Since my ball hockey playing is down from 4 days a week to only 2, and an unsuccessful thanksgiving weekend deer/bear trip I needed to get out. The first plan was to go camping up Harrison with my friends as I snuck out to go find a deer or a bear. But no one else had the weekend off to go so I was stuck in town.

I gave ol' gramps a kick in the ass and convinced him to go out to the marsh saturday morning for some pass shooting. After the Canucks Friday night loss to LA and too many wobbly pops, 4 am came early. But I was awake because I was excited to go.

We loaded up and headed down to Boundary Bay before first light. I parked gramps in the old blind me, him, my brother and our other friend built quite a few years ago. I walked down the marsh to an old log that has washed closer into shore over last winter.

As I was parked by the log I realized it was a little chilly out... excellent, except my fingers were frozen to my shotgun. Held it tight until it warmed up and released. On came the gloves. Just at daybreak a flight of 8 mallards came overhead. Bang! I let 2 3/4" #2 shot fly. One mallard drake now no longer flies. He landed only 20 yards out.

Couple minutes later a couple widgeon snuck in behind me and by the time I noticed them they were out 75 yards. Then I noticed a duck coming in at a slight angle right for me. I swing up on him and as I look down the barrel I lower my shotgun. Bufflehead... I've only made that mistake once. Fishy tasting *******s I think.

By now gramps is getting bored and comes walking over to me. we both hunker down by the log and don't see much else. A few out of range but not much.

After another hour we figured we'd hit Timmy Hoes and 1 duck would be good enough for a day. The tide was way out, we didn't even see the water line at 10 am and there was no wind.

I fried up the wings and legs in some butter with salt and pepper and had them for lunch. I breasted it out and baked them in some greek spice and butter(since the duck barely had any fat on it) and shared it with the roommates. Just a taste of more to come.

Pics to follow.

Marc
10-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Sounds like you had a great morning, time spent with family, out in the cool bay air, watching the sunrise and birds flying around. To me that's what it's all about, it's nice to get a bird or two as well as they are tasty little buggers. Your brother or your friend never got any?

warnniklz
10-19-2010, 12:25 PM
I was with my gramdpa... he didn't even touch the trigger. Might head out again this weekend. I checked the tides and they should be better. I'll probably drag out a dozen decoys just in case.

I know my roommates want more

Marc
10-20-2010, 12:54 AM
I was with my gramdpa... he didn't even touch the trigger. Might head out again this weekend. I checked the tides and they should be better. I'll probably drag out a dozen decoys just in case.

I know my roommates want more

Sorry about that I read where your brother and friend has built the blind and somehow associated it with this hunt.

warnniklz
10-20-2010, 08:15 AM
Sorry about that I read where your brother and friend has built the blind and somehow associated it with this hunt.

Fair enough man

warnniklz
11-29-2010, 10:37 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150322705715387&set=a.10150230093495387.470699.566510386

yeah I had already dressed him out a bit

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150322707745387&set=a.10150230093495387.470699.566510386&pid=15977554&id=566510386

the sunrise that morning