PDA

View Full Version : Sheep down Question

averagejoe
10-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Lets say "someone" shot a ram it was legal by at least an inch on its left horn. short on its right...... it had a terrible roll down the mountain breaking off nearly 10 inches of horn on the long side.... lets say they searched for 4 hours finding the broken chunk of horn. what is going to happen when they bring the ram in.???????????

averagejoe
10-19-2010, 09:49 AM
no lets say the chunk was found... what will happen when they bring it in

boxhitch
10-19-2010, 10:05 AM
They will have a canceled tag for a legal sheep
and a story to tell about what happened
IF all the parts line up, and the size or age can be confirmed, a taxidermist can repair it all
IF the facts don't wring out clear the ram will probably be confiscated.

NOT reporting the kill is clearly poaching.

Wild Images
10-19-2010, 10:34 AM
They will have a canceled tag for a legal sheep
and a story to tell about what happened
IF all the parts line up, and the size or age can be confirmed, a taxidermist can repair it all
IF the facts don't wring out clear the ram will probably be confiscated.

NOT reporting the kill is clearly poaching.

X2 they will be realistic about it, sh t happens

Rodd
10-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Walk in with both pieces and explain, and if its believeable they'll be reasonable about it. Only option in my opinion, otherwise its poached!

BlacktailStalker
10-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Now lets see a picture of your busted up sheep.

ufishifish2
10-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Now lets see a picture of your busted up sheep.
Exactly what I am waiting for too!

Steelpulse
10-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Walk in with both pieces and explain, and if its believeable they'll be reasonable about it. Only option in my opinion, otherwise its poached!

Honesty is the best option

Fullcurled4point
10-19-2010, 05:19 PM
ya lol " Be a man. do the right thing" hahah post them pics mang.

KodiakHntr
10-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Sheep in that exact scenario have been known to be confiscated though....With warnings given, but not fines.

Work partner in Cranbrook had that happen years ago, even with video of the sheep being legal, the shot, and the fall. Upon recovery the ram was broken, and the piec found.

Wasn't an exact match up though, due to the nature of how the horns can shatter when they break.

Wasn't fined, but the sheep was confiscated, and he was issued a warning ticket.

boxhitch
10-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Wasn't fined, but the sheep was confiscated, and he was issued a warning ticket.Hope it went to the regional manager level? Some discretion should be used.
Not many poachers carry around bits of broken horn to try to make up stories I bet.

averagejoe
10-20-2010, 10:58 AM
why does hunting have to be so difficult.

Jagermeister
10-20-2010, 11:05 AM
why does hunting have to be so difficult.Hunting is not difficult, it;s how you make it difficult.
If you have all the pieces, I don't see the problem.

Rodd
10-20-2010, 11:10 AM
why does hunting have to be so difficult.

Couldn't agree more!? there should be no grey area, and or "Officer discretion" where one guy gets a warning(the guy who is in the Curling Club with the officer), and any other guy gets ticketed... for the same offense... The rules and the wildlife act are nearly impossible for the average person to understand, let alone expected to be an expert at. They do this so anytime any hunter is encountered they have something to bust you with if your not his type of person... If you read the wildlife act, your commiting an offence when you squish a mosquito on your arm, or step on an ant.... Really what is the difference between an ant and a deer?? One is an insect and the other an ungulate, both "wildlife" and mosquitos aren't on the Class C list.... Just have it setup so if you hunt your guilty of something.... And they wonder why hunter participation is down.... It should be clear and with no doubt involved... IMHO.... No need for lengthy forums discussing the legality's of what a tine is, who can hunt in youth season, is this a legal 4 point etc.... etc... It could be alot clearer is all I'm saying...

KodiakHntr
10-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Hope it went to the regional manager level? Some discretion should be used.
Not many poachers carry around bits of broken horn to try to make up stories I bet.

Nope, he just wanted to put it all behind him. As far as I know that was the last time he hunted sheep.

pearljam
10-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Sheep in that exact scenario have been known to be confiscated though....With warnings given, but not fines.

Work partner in Cranbrook had that happen years ago, even with video of the sheep being legal, the shot, and the fall. Upon recovery the ram was broken, and the piec found.

Wasn't an exact match up though, due to the nature of how the horns can shatter when they break.

Wasn't fined, but the sheep was confiscated, and he was issued a warning ticket.

This is the exact reason guys shut thier lips or drive away when something bad/mistakes happen....... An honest guy never gets a break. Better off doing the old tripple "S"

10-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Pearl jam....
Dont like your avtar.... hahahaha

Slee
10-20-2010, 12:07 PM

I wonder if this is the same guy I know?????

Same idea, broken horn found (8" worth), video of kill shot/fall, ect....

CO and CI told him he shouldn't be shooting at sheep where they might fall off a cliff. HAHAHA!!!! Who are these clowns.....

Anyways, he lost the horns and was given a warning....... He says if it ever happns again he will just keep the horns at home and not have them mounted.

Our system is set up to hammer the honest people. Its a joke!

KodiakHntr
10-20-2010, 12:19 PM

CO and CI told him he shouldn't be shoot sheep where it might fall off a cliff. HAHAHA!!!! Who are these clowns.....

Anyways, he lost the horns and was given a warning....... He says if it ever happns again he will just keep the horns at home and not have them mounted.

Our system is set up to hammer the honest people. Its a joke!

Could be, if its the guy who was a couple other guys, and they waited for the ram to feed away from where he'd been bedded on the edge for an hour or so so he wouldn't fall off the edge...

averagejoe
10-20-2010, 03:09 PM
i love the look on the faces of people when you bring a ram in whole.

Wild Images
10-20-2010, 03:36 PM

And did they answer your question for you ( in your favor I hope )

boxhitch
10-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Couldn't agree more!? there should be no grey area, and or "Officer discretion" where one guy gets a warning(the guy who is in the Curling Club with the officer), and any other guy gets ticketed... for the same offense... The rules and the wildlife act are nearly impossible for the average person to understand, let alone expected to be an expert at. They do this so anytime any hunter is encountered they have something to bust you with if your not his type of person... If you read the wildlife act, your commiting an offence when you squish a mosquito on your arm, or step on an ant.... Really what is the difference between an ant and a deer?? One is an insect and the other an ungulate, both "wildlife" and mosquitos aren't on the Class C list.... Just have it setup so if you hunt your guilty of something.... And they wonder why hunter participation is down.... It should be clear and with no doubt involved... IMHO.... No need for lengthy forums discussing the legality's of what a tine is, who can hunt in youth season, is this a legal 4 point etc.... etc... It could be alot clearer is all I'm saying...He he good stuff, wringing with sarcasm.

boxhitch
10-20-2010, 05:07 PM

CO and CI told him he shouldn't be shooting at sheep where they might fall off a cliff. HAHAHA!!!! Who are these clowns.....

Our system is set up to hammer the honest people. Its a joke!So he kept the cape and meat ?
Must be more to it.
? CO nor CI could substantiate what the ram was for size or age ?
? Hunter feels slighted or robbed, and does nothing else ?
? Hunter states he would rather become a poacher than report an accident, or error, again ?

boxhitch
10-20-2010, 05:09 PM
Happy ? envious ? Proud ? Glad ? I don't get it.

s-dog
10-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Parden? Video of kill,Broken horn DNA,......um LAWYER!!? I would of chalenged this BEFORE it made it to crown auction!

Slee
10-20-2010, 08:38 PM
So he kept the cape and meat ?
Must be more to it.
? CO nor CI could substantiate what the ram was for size or age ?
? Hunter feels slighted or robbed, and does nothing else ?
? Hunter states he would rather become a poacher than report an accident, or error, again ?

#1 Lost horn, meat, and life size cape (2001)

#2 The CI guessed the age at over 9 years old but there were only 7 countable annuli, He asked them to pull a tooth and age it and the reply was a no go. The CO said he wouldnt care about the results as the regs state age by annuli.

#3 Average joe blow blue collar guy, has no money for lawyers ect.

#4 a big yes, He says he has learnt his lesson, The nice guys always finish last. Loosing this ram has changed his outlook on COs and the entire system. It is set up to hammer the honest guy. Guys who shoot first and count tines second get away with what ever they want.

This guy is a stand up guy and I dont think he would ever break the law if it came down to the nitty gritty....... But he is right that honest guys get the big green weenie!!!