PDA

View Full Version : Cougar hunting-possible without hounds?

shawnwells
10-19-2010, 05:51 AM
hey there...just read a second thread about bad cougars...plan on cougar hunting one day again here...but prefer to do it without hounds...just not my style...has anyone found an effective way to hunt cat without hounds? I pinned a deer up around Williams Lake and had a tag so i hunted around the gut pile the next day but ...no cat. i imagine glassing bigger open areas might be a start? tracking in snow in timber? burnin around on sleds/quads? any thoughts?

frenchbar
10-19-2010, 05:56 AM
Well ive hunted for 35 yrs and put on a lot of miles walking around the mountains and have never seen one.....could be a tough go without hounds..

shawnwells
10-19-2010, 05:58 AM
ya...im thinkin so...ive stood in quite a few cat tracks over the years and only saw 2 lynx and 1 bob kitty briefly to show for it....

pg83
10-19-2010, 06:19 AM
I share your desire to get a cougar without the help of hounds, but you're in tough. Even when you know of a particular cats range it is hard to come accross one. I ran into one 4 years ago while deer hunting, but had no tag. Have had a cougar tag in my pocket ever since. As soon as he saw me he was hunting and it took a warning shot to get him to leave. I would think your best bet would be in winter with the ski doo to find fresh track and then go hoofing, but even that would be a low success hunt I think.

frenchbar
10-19-2010, 06:24 AM
they are a reclusive animal and in the habitat they live in would be tough to hunt.ive seen lots at night along the highways they do their prowling mostly at night i would think .

kennyj
10-19-2010, 06:44 AM
I'm sure you'll do fine hunting cougar without hounds. However the killing of a cougar will be very difficult. Hunting and hiking in prime cougar country on VI for over 35 years has only presented 3 sightings and only one shot opportunity but no tag.
Good luck.
kenny

snowhunter
10-19-2010, 07:07 AM
The frequency in encountering cougars while hunting ungulates is for me about one for every eight to ten years, and then only one of them stayed long enough for a clear shot, if I had to. Rest of them never gave me a chance to point at them with my rifle, before they disappeared.

bridger
10-19-2010, 07:11 AM
maybe a predator call using a fawn bleat? anyone tried it?

huntinnut
10-19-2010, 07:14 AM
I think the best bet would be to find really fresh tracks in the winter, and then follow the tracks, but without the pressure from hounds, I doubt you could 'tree' it. You might get lucky enough to catch a glimpse.

digger dogger
10-19-2010, 07:21 AM
Shawn, if you are gonna try to kill a cat without hounds, try using a deer distress call. It will be tough but it's doable. following a mature cat track without hounds will most likely turn into a grueling hike that wont produce a cat. goodluck. :-)

boxhitch
10-19-2010, 08:04 AM
Sounds like a combination would work. Travel around to cut a fresh track so you at least know a cat is in the area. Then set up with the calling. Setup would ahve to be in the thick stuff, don't expect them to come across a opening. They will be hunting you.
Will have to try it again this year myself.

Rodd
10-19-2010, 08:23 AM
maybe a predator call using a fawn bleat? anyone tried it?

Predator calls work guaranteed! Or Hunt them just like if you had hounds, find a fresh track in fresh snow where you know it's been made within hours(Same as with hounds) and track them down, as your trailing them Glass the ridges and vantage points the cats may use to chack his backtrail from and you'll eventually see one watching you. Generally crappy shots are the norm, if any shot opportunity at all, but it works! Hounds are a fun hunt, just not for everyone I guess...

Big Lew
10-19-2010, 08:46 AM
When I was younger and in great shape, I snowshoed quite a bit,(used 3 styles, round bush shoes, long traditionals, and large modern ones with the ice grips) but even though I cut fresh cougar and wolf tracks, was never able to go fast or quiet enough to catch up with them. Was able to see bobcat and lynx though. I've seen many cougar, and several wolves over the years while treking through the wilds before the snows. It is very hard and dangerous to travel these same rough and steep areas while in deep snow. I think your best bet would be to first find an area with both old and fresh tracks, and then set up an ambush situation and call them in.
On side note, if you are in good shape, and can learn to use shoes,(the large modern ones are great) it is a lot of fun and personal satisfaction to be able to follow any tracks with the hope of catching up and sighting your quarry, just be always conscious of avalanche dangers.

shawnwells
10-19-2010, 09:40 AM
hmm...all good points boys....maybe a combination....fresh tracks....track in a ways then deer in distress or predator call.... i guess a good idea would be go when late season deer is still open then if the cougar idea doesnt go so hot a guy can hunt deer for the last couple days...

boxhitch
10-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Not sure that a distress call is needed. May raise alarm level ?
Sounding like a healthy doe or fawn that is the normal target may be better ?
Had a lion come in to investigate a buck grunt once, my only experience, but will be trying this winter.

blacklab
10-19-2010, 11:43 AM
If you can find a fresh kill it's easier than you might think. Find a spot where you can watch and be there two hours before dark. If the cat hasn't been disturbed it will be back to feed for a couple of nights.
I hunted with hounds for years, but I never missed watching a kill in the enening and have shot several cats by doing that.

Ghost Stalker
10-19-2010, 01:06 PM
i have done it. it takes time.not in the calling but the homework to find them. in my expirience i found that the key is to zero in on a an area that they are actively hunting. find a good set up and i use a fawn in distress call. might take a few seasons before it happens but it is like nothing else to have a hungry lion come into a call. the one i called in and killed came to 15yds before i pulled the trigger.

shawnwells
10-19-2010, 03:34 PM
i have done it. it takes time.not in the calling but the homework to find them. in my expirience i found that the key is to zero in on a an area that they are actively hunting. find a good set up and i use a fawn in distress call. might take a few seasons before it happens but it is like nothing else to have a hungry lion come into a call. the one i called in and killed came to 15yds before i pulled the trigger.
thats what im talkin about....more exciting then skydiving....im doing it one day here then....its settled....thanks for all your input boys...

Jelvis
10-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Getting a cougar with out dogs is less chance than winning the Lotto Max lol.
Jel ( Like finding a needle in a hay stack )

BlacktailStalker
10-19-2010, 04:34 PM
A mature tom can cover 20km overnight when he's not in a hurry... have a nice walk :lol:
I know one guy who shot a female who had come in to his doe bleats, he thought it was a buck.
He saw the tawny colour through the firs and got set up, waited,thinking it was coming in and nothing... casually turned around 5 mins later and there she was, sitting like a dog 25' away watching him, wind in her face.
They're curious. She heard doe/fawn and checked the wind but it (scent) didn't "match" so she just observed.
Pretty sure he felt like a loser when he realized she had milk in her tits.

Gateholio
10-19-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm hardly an expert in the area, but I think the key is to know thier is a cougar in the area. Then set up your fox-pro E caller and hide yourself well. A fawn decoy beside the E-caller would add some realism and be a good idea, I think.:-D

BromBones
10-19-2010, 05:48 PM
Gonna be tough. Possible that a predator call may bring one in if you get yourself in the right setup.

I've found fresh cougar tracks after new snow a few times and followed them for hours with never a sight. I only know one person who's hunted down a cat on foot and that was Bart Lancaster. Other than that I've never heard of it being done.

Schutzen
10-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Shawn
Myself I think I would do a combo of calling and a visual attractor.
Be sure to set up with your back well protected or have a buddy with you.
Cats are visual hunters and a attractor really helps.
Just a short distance away in the open but close to cover put a hi stake in the ground or use a sapling.
Run a cord to your hide from the stake and call a little but keep pulling the cord on your attractor erratically.
A large coat hanger with a brown covering hanging a couple feet up is the attractor (mimicking a deer in trouble).
A little cat urine would be a plus along with a tad of raw burger at the top of the stake.
So the urine covers scent requirement or/as does the burger.
The calling triggers the hunting instinct.
The attractor covers the visual side.
Have some binos hanging from your neck at the ready too.
Don't be surprised if other animals come to the set-up too so be prepared with your regs knowledge.
Good luck and I hope you have a blast.
S

swampthing
10-19-2010, 07:28 PM
I knew a guide in Kamloops that would find a fresh track and go for it. When he got close he would bark like a hound and giver. Gots to be in good shape for that. One of my main huntin partners tried it and got a glimpse of the cat as it ran away. You will have fun tryin.

shawnwells
10-19-2010, 07:45 PM
when i finally get out there i think i'll rock the mossberg too in case my cougar murder turns into a case of cougar self defence...maybe a helmet ha ha...im gonna be lookin up as much as around...i find with hunting most other things calling works 1000 times better than chasing...i think thats the plan...if theres snow on the ground hunt the timber and find tracks off a sled or atv just like with dogs....and start followin...if you find a spot way the hell in there away from every person on earth...start whining like a sad little half starved baby deer and something might happen....better than a good day at work anyways....maybe a dall sheep will come in too...then 2 birds with one stone ha ha....

GRIZZEZE
10-19-2010, 09:35 PM
I rattled one in during the rut one year, really pissed me off because he spooked off a large blacktail tha was coming in. I do know a guy that has gotten a cat on foot. He had a really crappy hound and tried to get it to take the track, to make a long story short, he drug the dog along on the hike and saw the cat. Then he barked like the dog is supposed to and the cat went up a tree and he shot it. I think the dog is supposed to do the work, at least thats how we do it.

shawnwells
10-19-2010, 09:38 PM
I rattled one in during the rut one year, really pissed me off because he spooked off a large blacktail tha was coming in. I do know a guy that has gotten a cat on foot. He had a really crappy hound and tried to get it to take the track, to make a long story short, he drug the dog along on the hike and saw the cat. Then he barked like the dog is supposed to and the cat went up a tree and he shot it. I think the dog is supposed to do the work, at least thats how we do it.
ha ha scurvy hound dog....no dinner for you...

Fisher-Dude
10-19-2010, 09:49 PM
It's possible but highly unlikely. I've only ever seen one cougar in the bush when hunting without hounds, and it was a 3 second experience.

One problem with snap shooting a cat on the ground is that you're unable to determine the sex of the animal before the shot. As BTS stated above, you can end up killing a female with kittens, and that's not really a good thing. A treed cat can be IDed properly, and a female can be let go.

Have you ever been on a hunt with hounds? It's pretty friggin' awesome to hear them bay treed. Good hounds are amazing.

And really, is it any different from having a lab flush up a grouse or pheasant for you?

GoatGuy
10-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Gonna be tough. Possible that a predator call may bring one in if you get yourself in the right setup.

I've found fresh cougar tracks after new snow a few times and followed them for hours with never a sight. I only know one person who's hunted down a cat on foot and that was Bart Lancaster. Other than that I've never heard of it being done.

Hunting buddy has done it 3 or 4 times. Sitting on kills and calling works but sounds like it requires lot of patience.

shawnwells
10-19-2010, 09:56 PM
patience i can do...i dont use doggies to flush birds either...to each his own...if a hound wants to go hunt a cougar...thats his choice...he can borrow my gun and i'll take his picture with it...and i'll help him cut and wrap it....but if i want a cougar...i'll go get my cougar the hard way...

GoatGuy
10-20-2010, 05:22 AM
patience i can do...i dont use doggies to flush birds either...to each his own...if a hound wants to go hunt a cougar...thats his choice...he can borrow my gun and i'll take his picture with it...and i'll help him cut and wrap it....but if i want a cougar...i'll go get my cougar the hard way...

Patience could mean a couple years, especially where you live as you don't have the cats we do in the south country. I've got a buddy who lives up there and has hounds, he comes down here to hunt.

shawnwells
10-20-2010, 08:19 AM
ya my buddies got a few cats in the chilcotin i'll talk to them fellas...they used hounds tho...but maybe they can point me in the right direction...i'll be seein them chinook fishin next summer...