PDA

View Full Version : does poop change with seasons?

twoSevenO
10-18-2010, 09:43 PM
does mule deer poop (and other critter poop) change as the seasons change? Does it look different in spring/summer as it does in fall/winter based on change of diet or no?

There is an area i'm scouting (area A) that has TONS of perfectly oval (moose-like) droppings yet not too many deer there this summer and early fall. On the other hand the area where we saw bucks and where we got our 4x3 (area B) didn't have as many such droppings but had the animals. And what came out of the 4x3 buck we got was damn near identical to what they have in the CORE book on the scat page, not the oval (moose-like) droppings i expected.

I'm trying to use this info to see if the two areas are their different hang-outs throughout the year. I guess my real-world confirmation will be when i head up come November and see if there's more animals in Area A than Area B this time.

Just wanted to get some clarification on this from the more experienced dudes :)

Thanks a bunch :)

BlacktailStalker
10-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Grass (spring) poop is more 'mushy' or clumped/semi formed and as they switch to browse, the pellets become more formed and separate.
I would imagine the bucks just "shart" as they are more concerned with other things come november.
Moose is oval, elk is round and semi flattened like a supersize chocolate covered raisin and deer are glossettes.

twoSevenO
10-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Grass (spring) poop is more 'mushy' or clumped/semi formed and as they switch to browse, the pellets become more formed and separate.

cool! thanks :)

10-18-2010, 10:32 PM
I've noticed that during a really sustained wet period shiet can get soft and pellets clumped together in mushy lumps.

Bow Walker
10-19-2010, 11:42 AM
Yup - depends on the weather, the availability of preferred food source(s), and most of all the seasons.

Rubicon500
10-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Well I can't speak for everyone on here , but my poop only changes if I change my diet. Chineese food makes it turn into a runny mess, almost to the point its hard to look at and take pictures of. I have also found pepto bismol turns it almost a black with hint of green , and blue slurpees from 7-11 turns it green :):)

urbanhermit
10-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Well I can't speak for everyone on here , but my poop only changes if I change my diet. Chineese food makes it turn into a runny mess, almost to the point its hard to look at and take pictures of. I have also found pepto bismol turns it almost a black with hint of green , and blue slurpees from 7-11 turns it green :):)
I think you misread the question, he asked if poop changed with the seasons, not "seasonings"..

Big Lew
10-19-2010, 12:31 PM
:-D Yup, deer poop does change. It tastes like sweet candy and is firm and non-sticky like blueberries until the first day of huntng season. Then it becomes soft, glue-like, and s--tty smelling just to get back at hunters.

Wrayzer
10-19-2010, 01:42 PM
It's a good thing the deer don't frequint cedars smorg or we would have a hell of a mess in the back woods.

ravensfoot
10-19-2010, 01:44 PM
It also changes appearance the longer it's been on the ground. Fresh is always glossy no matter what the season is. May be more glossy in the wetter seasons but generally glossy all the time. Best way to gauge is to pick some of the shat up and fondle it in your hands. Feel it, see if it's still warm, have a sniff, or even a taste, it'll really freak out your hunting buddies.

Bear shite really varies because of their diet. When you find bells & whistles mixed in, it is usually spring/summer. When you find bits of cammo material and beer cans, it's usually fall or other hunting seasons.

Kiyoot Shite is all over the map. Never can tell what season it is with that crap.

rocksteady
10-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Mine does...During the summer, beacuse of my work schedule I tend to eat more fast food (gut bombs - burgers) on the road and then camp food... Definitely changes it up....

And over doing the gatorade also changes the color
significantly..

Pics to follow :)

ravensfoot
10-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Various fresh deer shat in the fall. All Fresh all on the same trip. I am of the belief that the larger clumped up variety is that of larger Bucks. Just my opinion.

http://www.ravensfoot.com/hunting/pics/IMG_3302.jpg
http://www.ravensfoot.com/hunting/pics/IMG_3303.jpg
http://www.ravensfoot.com/hunting/pics/IMG_3304.jpg

kbb
10-19-2010, 03:47 PM
mmmm deer mud

sawmill
10-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Mine does in hunting season but that`s because of a straight wild meat diet.A lot of multi grain bread helps though.
Meat is King
Fibre is Qween
Likker is the court Jester.

M.Dean
10-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Again, the answer here is taste! Take some older looking BT poop, pop a few in your mouth, savor them a bit then swallow, if it has the taste of fresh Clover and wild bunch grass that covers the Island, it pooped in the spring.Now look for scat that's a bit newer, darker color, smells a bit more like crap and do the same, gently chew until the flavor caresses your pallet, if your getting a stronger taste of clover and wild grass it's because it's mid summer poop, not quite as tender and juicy as spring poo. Now, as you continue collecting poop and eating it, you have to seriously ask your self, Am I going Fuc**** Nuts??? I eat shit cuz some nameless guy on the Internet say's I should!!! Seek help my friend, and soon!!!