PDA

View Full Version : LEH - What do you think?

ravensfoot
10-18-2010, 08:28 PM
Last week I posted a question asking if anyone has heard anything about the MOE scrapping the LEH. There has been alot of feedback so I thought I would pose the question.

Spy
10-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Scrap it for BC residents. Put all guide outfitters and there clients on a LEH system.:-D:-D

bridger
10-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Scrap it for BC residents. Put all guide outfitters and there clients on a LEH system.:-D:-D

x2 great idea

butthead
10-18-2010, 08:57 PM
scrap it. like the gordon's going to get the boot

Jonas111
10-18-2010, 09:32 PM
I don't mind if the LEH stays as long as they give it out to more BC residents. I hate the fact that i have applied quite a few times and haven't had a chance at any LEH to date.

Give out more and keep it. That's my vote.

Sitkaspruce
10-18-2010, 09:46 PM

X3

I fully agree!!!

It time we moved on from the old and into the new.

Cheers

SS

10-18-2010, 09:51 PM
X3

I fully agree!!!

It time we moved on from the old and into the new.

Cheers

SS

Yup, I'll sign on to that one as well,,,, X4...!

ravensfoot
10-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Wow, so far the results aren'y what I thought.

Peters Wildlife
10-19-2010, 02:20 PM
I like the idea behind the LEH, I just think it needs work.

Gateholio
10-19-2010, 02:21 PM
LEH makes sense only where there is conservation concerns. We'd have to identify what is what before putting everything on GOS.

Cyrus
10-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Yup, I'll sign on to that one as well,,,, X4...!

X5...gotta let the permanent residents have a shot at the game in the areas we live....tired of "some" of these guys thinking they own the bush!!

Hemi
10-19-2010, 04:34 PM
We talk about this at work, it almost seems like allot of the LEH are given to people from other areas like the lower mainland. I see allot of rigs coming through town. Not saying they are all from the coast. But from a conservation side of things give the tags to the people who really have to work for the game. If their plans get screwed up they don't hunt and one animal saved. If I had an LEh I would hunt everyday after work untill I filled my tag.. Just a thought probably way off:)

chinooker
10-19-2010, 07:39 PM
I hate Leh,:twisted: I put in for moose every year and I got 1 draw in 20 years my dad has never had one. I realize for goats and other harvest sensitive animals its probably a good management tool. Moose should have more open seasons.

tombstone
10-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Scrap it!! or figure out why locals don't get draws.Is it tourisms dollars they want??
I've been trying for Island elk for 25 yrs with no luck, but getting an interior moose seems no problem. JMO

"live to hunt, and hunt to live!"

curt
10-19-2010, 08:42 PM
that is a great idea guides and non res on leh

bigneily
10-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Scrap it ?, you guy's arn't realizing how much dough the government collects from us each year just from us buying our leh's, they would be crazy to dump it. They are laughing all the way to the bank, I live here in the East koot's i also put in for antlerless cow/calf elk in 4-03x and didn't get drawn, did anyone get a refund in the mail when the ministry decided to have a gos?.nope ,I know i didn't. You fella's that also put in and got drawn for the late season have every right to be pissed to be put last after the open season. Not that i expected gordo and his crew to have thought of this, They'll all suck us dry in the end.And bs us by telling us how good they have done...

Fisher-Dude
10-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Scrap it ?, you guy's arn't realizing how much dough the government collects from us each year just from us buying our leh's, they would be crazy to dump it. They are laughing all the way to the bank, I live here in the East koot's i also put in for antlerless cow/calf elk in 4-03x and didn't get drawn, did anyone get a refund in the mail when the ministry decided to have a gos?.nope ,I know i didn't. You fella's that also put in and got drawn for the late season have every right to be pissed to be put last after the open season. Not that i expected gordo and his crew to have thought of this, They'll all suck us dry in the end.And bs us by telling us how good they have done...

Not really. They make a tonne more money with a GOS. LEH money pays to run the LEH system, and there's little or nothing left once it's all said done.

GOS = way more expensive tags than LEH cards (your elk tag is 4X more expensive than a draw card), more people hunting, more people travelling and paying tax on fuel, etc.

LEH losers (the majority) sit at home and pout - that doesn't put money into government coffers.

BTW, the ministry floated the 4-03X GOS last fall for stakeholder comments, and posted the season submission on their website on February 5, 2010, well before you had an LEH synopsis.

chinook
10-19-2010, 09:42 PM
LEH for some species / areas if fine but the way its done in BC is ass backwards. From what Ive heard the Alberta system is a lot more reasonable. Im not sure of the specifics but from what I hear your odds on the draw increase by the year and if you do get drawn and life steps in the way and you are not able to go, you can postpone your draw to the following year and the next hunter in line gets it this year. Anyone else familiar with other Province / States systems that could work well in BC?

bigneily
10-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Not really. They make a tonne more money with a GOS. LEH money pays to run the LEH system, and there's little or nothing left once it's all said done.

GOS = way more expensive tags than LEH cards (your elk tag is 4X more expensive than a draw card), more people hunting, more people travelling and paying tax on fuel, etc.

LEH losers (the majority) sit at home and pout - that doesn't put money into government coffers.

BTW, the ministry floated the 4-03X GOS last fall for stakeholder comments, and posted the season submission on their website on February 5, 2010, well before you had an LEH synopsis.
You sound like you and Gord sit down for beer's quite regularly.

shawnwells
10-19-2010, 09:44 PM
We talk about this at work, it almost seems like allot of the LEH are given to people from other areas like the lower mainland. I see allot of rigs coming through town. Not saying they are all from the coast. But from a conservation side of things give the tags to the people who really have to work for the game. If their plans get screwed up they don't hunt and one animal saved. If I had an LEh I would hunt everyday after work untill I filled my tag.. Just a thought probably way off:)

before i knew this site existed and i got broader feedback...me and my buddies and dudes i met were convinced that there was some government guy readin the addresses and giving leh to people farther away in an effort to raise tourism dollars...some guys i knew started puttin in their leh's from like their parents address down south and it seemed to work...they started getting draws...but ive had a few in my time so i cant say thats the case...who knows...

jackychiles
10-24-2010, 06:06 PM

Yup this is a good idea

d6dan
10-24-2010, 06:24 PM
LEH makes sense only where there is conservation concerns. We'd have to identify what is what before putting everything on GOS.

Gatehouse has a valid point regarding conservation. But if Residents are going to be on LEH, then the GO's shouldn't have any quotas for those animals. It burns my butt seeing nonresidents shooting elk on the Island when most of us residents can't seem to get a draw?.:?.

Tron
10-24-2010, 06:27 PM

I agree but think they don't manage our wild life well enough and for that fact I don't thinks it works the way they claim it does. 7-28 for example. Has leh moose cow/calf, bull and open for spike fork and calf. Last year 3 of us hunted hard and only saw one moose and he was a spike but got away just as we called him legal. There was more moose there 3 years ago that I saw and talking to others it was the worst they had ever seen it in 20yrs. Its hard for the population to make a come back with the way the reg's and leh are set here in my mind.

troutseeker
10-24-2010, 06:33 PM

Hey! What a great idea!!!:-D Groovy man!

robertmcallan
10-25-2010, 11:37 AM
i think the leh should be more like Alberta's system it allows someone every 4 years to get something so you don't get the stretches of ten years that i hear some people talk about