PDA

View Full Version : Species you think about but never make/have time to do ?

BlacktailStalker
10-18-2010, 07:03 PM
Just curious what you feel you miss out on and/or really gets you excited that maybe you'll start hunting more often again.
Maybe a species that you've never been after but have a strong desire to pursue (that one for me is grizz and caribou)

For me, it is mulies.
I've only ever targeted them specifically 4 times (being on an Island doesnt help) but I'm going to make it happen again this year I think.

I've always planned to hunt every species in BC and after, decide what I enjoyed most (whether it be the country, timing, interaction on the hunt or table fare) and spend the rest of my time focusing on that.

Right now its elk for interaction, sheep for remoteness and beauty of the country, blacktails for their craftiness/skill of the hunt required to succeed, goats for physical excertion and the "on the edge" factor and following hounds for, well, until you do that you'll never understand.

In conclusion, my plan for one species isnt going so well :lol:

Shooter
10-18-2010, 07:10 PM
To be honest (and like you said being on an Island doesn't help) but Blacktails consume me. I really don't have a huge desire to chase other game. Sure I would absolutely LOVE to get the golden ticket here on the Island but I really don't have a desire to take the trip to the interior to chase Elk. I love moose met and I haven't had any in years so that may be the next trip I decide to take off of the Island, but thats for the food more than the hunt. Plain hunting?.... As I said Blacktails consume my thoughts and energy,... then I consume them.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Wanted to spend more time chasing goats in November..but it's always such a busy month.
Need to whack some meat early and then make an effort to get out toward the mid to end of November for goats.
The new GOS seasons in the EK just might make it happen....one year.

SSS

frenchbar
10-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Never hunted Elk before ...next yr am planning on giving it a go :-D

308Lover
10-18-2010, 07:19 PM
It's elk for me. There are some near PG but it's a rough go compared to the EK region of Famous '47. Hunted elk in Alberta as a kid and remember uncle John's comment about hunting in the snow--"You never see the elk that makes the track". Not quite true, but they can be tough to hunt. Not many of us ever called elk until the 60's. Then came "Hootchie Mama" and other sexy items geared to catch more hunters than elk. LOL It's a long hike, but I just GOTTA GO TO THE KOOTENAYS FOR ELK! It's on my bucket list.

slicky72
10-18-2010, 07:23 PM
Ya elk for me too, might have to tag along with someone from here with some experience but that's what I'd like to try. Til then I'll be chasin mulies

1/2 slam
10-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Bongo in the CAR. Not enough money:-D

Brian011
10-18-2010, 07:29 PM
i've mostly only ever hunted mulies, they are definately my favorite animal to hunt but i would like to go for moose and elk one year but havent had much of a chance. sheep and goats interest me too but it depends on getting the leh for them for where i want to go.

bforce750
10-18-2010, 07:29 PM
For me believe it or not would be grouse, I did almost everything this year,goat,elk,deer,sheep and moose recentley.And not to forget I had a 1week grizz trip.But anyway I never put much time shooting these tasty little birds that seem to be everywhere because I'm always worried I'll scare anything in the area. And it will probably better for the wife and kids to come along.

10-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Dall Sheep Caribou combo in the NWT,'s

My big time bucket list item .....

CT

Jagermeister
10-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Stone sheep, add Dalls to that too.

BlacktailStalker
10-18-2010, 07:39 PM
For me believe it or not would be grouse, I did almost everything this year,goat,elk,deer,sheep and moose recentley.And not to forget I had a 1week grizz trip.But anyway I never put much time shooting these tasty little birds that seem to be everywhere because I'm always worried I'll scare anything in the area. And it will probably better for the wife and kids to come along.

I pack a slingshot with me when looking for deer/elk but want a grouse for dinner, nice and quiet.

TPB
10-18-2010, 07:41 PM
All this talk of elk in the kootenays, why havent i found one! :D

bforce750
10-18-2010, 07:41 PM
I pack a slingshot with me when looking for deer/elk but want a grouse for dinner, nice and quiet.

Thats a good idea,I guess it makes it a little funner to when your hiking

shawnwells
10-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Dall sheep all the way...caribous getting scratched off the list next year...hopefully dall one day...good idea for a thread....

Sundance1972
10-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Anything but blacktail!! Haven't made it off the island for a couple years due to work. Would love to go moose/elk hunting again, succesfully this time!!

happyhunter
10-18-2010, 07:57 PM
This year I've been doing backpack hunts whenever I can and it has been the most fulfilling and adventurous hunting I have ever done, and the most work. So Im going to keep doing it as much as possible. It is all I desire at this time, but come winter when the seasons are over I hope to go on a hound hunt for cats. I think its going to be amazing.

16ga
10-18-2010, 08:04 PM
I really want to call in turkeys, when ever I see them I am working and that means not armed, it seems it would be kind of fun. Either that or trying for a Stone or Dall with a recurve bow--next to impossible probably but at least it would be an experience.

bforce750
10-18-2010, 08:05 PM
This year I've been doing backpack hunts whenever I can and it has been the most fulfilling and adventurous hunting I have ever done, and the most work. So Im going to keep doing it as much as possible. It is all I desire at this time, but come winter when the seasons are over I hope to go on a hound hunt for cats. I think its going to be amazing.

You haven't backpacked up nothing,or hiked anywhere lazy a$$:-D

shawnwells
10-18-2010, 08:10 PM
I really want to call in turkeys, when ever I see them I am working and that means not armed, it seems it would be kind of fun. Either that or trying for a Stone or Dall with a recurve bow--next to impossible probably but at least it would be an experience.

yes that would be cool too...add turkey to my list too..

Tikka270wsm
10-18-2010, 08:20 PM
My dreamhunt would be for Dall Sheep for sure. But a hunt that I need to make time for is for Elk or Moose off the island. I absolutely love hunting Island Blacktails as well as Black Bear but a freezer full of Moose or Elk would be very nice.

BlacktailStalker
10-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Yes turkeys are one that would be right up there on the "interactive" list and I too want to try them.

moosinaround
10-18-2010, 08:27 PM
I am presently on a weightloss training program to get into shape for sheep in Aug 2011. It is a VERY lofty goal but dam it I gotta hunt those curly horned *******s!! It is a tough goal but hunting this year has been the easiest on my body in years!! So it is the sheep, and the mountains that are calling my name!! Moosin

Squamch
10-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Grouse over a dog. I love wingshooting.

Sitkaspruce
10-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Honestly, for me, there is really not anything in BC that I have not hunted a fair bit. Nothing really drives me to "want" that animal

I have hunted caribou a few times, sheep a few times, goats a lot, muley's a ton, wt's a bunch, BT since I first started hunting, elk, both Rosie's and RM's, a ton of moose, black bears, grizz and even wolves.

I guess if there is one thing that consumes me, it is a BIG BT from high up in the big timber in early Sept or November....ah hell any time!!!!

That is why I have at least a week off in Nov to try and fill the freezer and target one of those BIG boys.

Good post BTS.

Cheers

SS

happyhunter
10-18-2010, 08:44 PM
You haven't backpacked up nothing,or hiked anywhere lazy a$$:-D

Bullshit and you know it and I got the pictures to prove it!

blindguy
10-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Being stuck on the island mine would be mule deer we make a trip up to the peace every year and do well. but i'd love to spend all of nov up there and look for a freakin wall hanger ,got my big whitey and black tail last year now just need the big mule.

nano
10-18-2010, 09:13 PM
Would love to hunt Elk and moose next year. Tried both meats once and have always love the taste.

born2hunt
10-18-2010, 09:13 PM
I guess for me its whitey's .. Ive shot my share of Book bt's .. born and raised on the island helped alot ,Mulies gotta love them.. but its the white tails that i havent hunted much and now this november is devoted to them with my kids, along with his goat draw in 4-24 :)

todbartell
10-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Id like to go goat/sheep/caribou hunting someday

Stone Sheep Steve
10-19-2010, 04:18 AM
I have hunted caribou a few times, sheep a few times, goats a lot, muley's a ton, wt's a bunch, BT since I first started hunting, elk, both Rosie's and RM's, a ton of moose, black bears, grizz and even wolves.

Good post BTS.

Cheers

SS

SS-Your post should make all of realize how shitty it is to live in BC. I mean really, how many weeks of holidays does a person need to pursue all of those species?
I think everyone who buys a hunting license should automatically get 4 more weeks of holidays than everyone else at their workplace:).
Those guys down in the States have it made:wink:.

BC sucks!:mrgreen:

SSS

moose2
10-19-2010, 05:27 AM
My future hunting goal would be to fill a bc slam. I would need a cougar , dall , rocky\cali bighorn , a rosie and a turkey to complete it.

digger dogger
10-19-2010, 07:44 AM
Big mulies are my weakness, it's been 6-7 years since i've shot anything that has gotten me yippin & yappin. A 200" mulie would turn me into a kindergartener. i've stalked 2, 190-200 inchers before (wind screwed me on 1 and a truck on #2)
I was shaking so bad (on #1) and trying to calm myself down didn't work, if the wind hadn't gave me away i probably would have missed.

Dall's are the one i think about the most, after mulies!

farside
10-19-2010, 08:35 AM
It would be elk for me. But I have no experience and lack a partner for that kind of thing. I know - get out and just figure it out!

No excuses!

Sitkaspruce
10-19-2010, 08:47 AM
SS-Your post should make all of realize how shitty it is to live in BC. I mean really, how many weeks of holidays does a person need to pursue all of those species?
I think everyone who buys a hunting license should automatically get 4 more weeks of holidays than everyone else at their workplace:).

SSS

Yup it sure sucks to live and hunt in BC!!!

I agree about the holidays, but weekends do work as well!!!

Cheers

SS

Peters Wildlife
10-19-2010, 12:09 PM

SSS

Hahaha.....I vote for SSS to be the new Premier.

luckynuts
10-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Great thread!

For me it would be island blacktails. No time for the simple fact i'm to far away. Haven't hunted them since I was 21. Almost 20 years ago:cry: Never shot a monster but miss playing tag with them in the thick stuff with stick and string. Would really like to get one that is worth mounting. My all time want is still goat and a big goat at that. Hopefully next year. The other one which I put no time into is cougar, need dogs. Would love to do a hunt with dogs but money is spent on other hunts right now. I would like to eventually have had the chance to experience hunting all BC game and maybe even harvesting one of each too:-D

W.

warnniklz
10-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Orcas and the vancouver island marmot... maybe a spirit bear.

JK... A big ol' grrr bear. I only want to harvest two in my lifetime. One coastal and one interior. Nothing else I feel I must have. Looking at going on a cariboo hunt next year. I think that'll be pretty exciting.

DV-67
10-19-2010, 01:05 PM
High country hunt. All the great pics that get posted really make me want to do a hike in goat / sheep hunt.

Ride
10-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Mountain goats. The first time i tried for goats implanted in my brain a desire to keep going again and again. Also, i have always wanted to go for blacktails. Just gotta sit down and say "This is the year"

Gateholio
10-19-2010, 02:06 PM
FOr me it's caribou and pronghorn. And although I don't get all horny about whitetails like I see the guys on Wild TV, I wouldn't mind hunitng them too. Never bought a tag for any of these animals.

Pronghorn hunts in Wyoming are pretty cheap, a guy can do it for a few thousand. BC has some decent caribou areas, but NWT woudl be very cool. Whitetail I will hunt when someone invites me.:-D

Ruger4
10-19-2010, 02:11 PM
RedStag , hopefully next year visiting relatives in Austria :mrgreen:

Peters Wildlife
10-19-2010, 02:15 PM
One day I will make the trip to the NWT for Caribou and a Grizz