PDA

View Full Version : Anchoring on the Fraser

dropshot
10-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Hi! Kind of new to the forum, well sort of. I have signed up several months ago but have been following the site for close to two years now.... Yes I have been lurking and not posting much, and yes I have already posted my joke when I finally signed up awhile ago.
I have some questions on or about fishing techniques on the Fraser. I have been boating as long as I can can remember however I have never really done any river boating I have mainly fished the oceans and some lakes, pretty much mostly trolling and jigging while drifting.
So I want to take my sons out when I get them, and try to get them away from the computers for a bit and some good old BC fresh air. They live with their mother in Aldergrove and I get them a couple days a week, so I want to learn how to fish the Fraser so that I can take them out once I get efficient at navigating the river.
The questions I have are
1) Is there a special method to anchoring. I herd different views and methods, but have only herd this in general conversations I have over herd
2) Is there particular anchor you have to use in the river I know there are several types (I have two).
I am wondering these things as I would like to learn and teach myself (by info and trial and error) how to do this safely before trying this out with my kids on board.
I want to learn also how to fish for the various species in the river too. either by boat or on one of the islands or bars that can be reached by boat (to get away from the crowds while I learn). I am totally new to river fishing so I am lost, but I can tell you anything about fishing the ocean.
I have other questions to on riggings for the fishing but will follow these up once I learn about anchoring and how to properly do it without losing either the anchor or the boat. I would be probably fishing between Surrey/Langley up to Matsqui, possibly higher up but this area for starters. I will be using a 14' (car topper style) boat on a trailer.
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks

darrin6109
10-18-2010, 06:12 PM
http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab23/darrinandmichelle/River_Anchor.jpg[/IMG]

this is what i use

dropshot
10-31-2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the reply. Do the other kinds of anchors work in the Fraser or is the the best style for the area? How much chain do you you have to use? Is it all chain you use to anchor, or a combination of chain and rope and what total length should be carried on the boat?

betteroffishing
10-31-2010, 05:04 PM
i tried for a couple years to save money and use my heavy lake anchor in the fraser with frustrating results , this year we broke down and spent the couple hundred dollars darrins anchor costs and am sooo happy with the results . its funny the angst im willing to sbject myself to in the name of saving a couple hun. as far as technique goes , anything you can do from shore , you can also do from the boat at anchor , you just dont need to wade out to your bellybutton anymore to reach the fish

NaStY
10-31-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the reply. Do the other kinds of anchors work in the Fraser or is the the best style for the area? How much chain do you you have to use? Is it all chain you use to anchor, or a combination of chain and rope and what total length should be carried on the boat?

Your chain should be as long as your boat. I usually had 50' of rope attached in case I wanted to run a little deeper than 30'.

winchester284
10-31-2010, 06:47 PM

General rule is the length of chain you need is the length of your boat as a minimum. I have a 18ft boat and I use 20 feet of chain, then rope. My anchor weighs about 35 lbs plus the chain weight.

dropshot
11-01-2010, 05:15 PM
When I drop anchor and once it hits the bottom. How much slack line should I give before I tie it off? Do I tie it off to the bow? What are the retrieving techniques for retrieving the anchor, so you don't get it stuck and end up loosing it because you can't get it loose? I appreciate any and all input. I am new to this and would like any info before i give this a go
Thanks

NaStY
11-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Tell you what. Take me fishing and not only will I show some places to fish, I will also give all my experience. :mrgreen:

winchester284
11-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Take a look at the anchor picture. You'll see the chain attached to the bottom of the anchor and then attached again with zap straps to the top of the anchor.

When your anchor gets stuck you just put your motor in reverse and the zap straps break leaving the chain attached only to the bottom of the anchor. Almost impossible to lose the anchor with this setup.

Hydrojet
11-01-2010, 06:27 PM
windchester....the straps should break when driving over the anchor so in forward gear, you can set the anchor up to break the straps when backing up but you tend to break more of them in normal use and pulling will drive the anchor deeper into where it is stuck....you need someone up front pulling in the slack as you drive up to it...if its free then continue pulling until in the boat but if it is stuck tie it off when you're over top of it and drive forward, only drive forward as hard as it is safe to do so as when you get too far over the anchor and it doesn't release the bow goes down and will take off to one side or the other if under too much pressure and can get violent. this will break the straps and then you should be able to pull it up......the length of chain for length of boat works great with 5/16 chain....smaller chain you will need more of and less with bigger chain. A 30lb anchor will work great with a 14'....you could get away with a 20 but it will need a longer rode to set it in the ground....the "angle of the dangle" needs to be pretty shallow in relation to the bottom as you approach 90 degrees with the bottom the harder it is to set the anchor and the more weight you need....the closer to parallel you get the less weight is needed but the longer the rode (or rope/chain combo)...best results are a less than 45 degree angle with the bottom. 15' 5/16 chain and 1/2" rope (not for strength but for ease on the mitts...go double braid! you'll thank me after pulling anchor all day! Twist rips your hands apart) and a 30lb'r and your good!...good luck

SHACK
11-01-2010, 07:36 PM
I will simply add this since the "newbies" may not know this (and I have seen it done with disaterous results!)

Do NOT EVER, EVER, EVER for ANY reason cleat your anchor off to anything but THE BOW!!!!!! Not to "pull it off" not to hold your stern steady, nothing, the bow is the ONLY safe place an anchor can be cleated off to in movin water PERIOD, no exceptions.
The SECCOND you cleat off to anything but the bow, your boat will flip around in the current and take on water over the side or transom. The last time I saw this happen the boat was gone in about 3 secconds, and 2 guys with their poodle were hanging on to dead heads until we pulled them aboard!

mark
11-01-2010, 07:42 PM
I will simply add this since the "newbies" may not know this (and I have seen it done with disaterous results!)

Do NOT EVER, EVER, EVER for ANY reason cleat your anchor off to anything but THE BOW!!!!!! Not to "pull it off" not to hold your stern steady, nothing, the bow is the ONLY safe place an anchor can be cleated off to in movin water PERIOD, no exceptions.
The SECCOND you cleat off to anything but the bow, your boat will flip around in the current and take on water over the side or transom. The last time I saw this happen the boat was gone in about 3 secconds, and 2 guys with their poodle were hanging on to dead heads until we pulled them aboard!

Must have been some pretty fast water, Ive tied off to the side of the boat many times in calmer water with no issues!

SHACK
11-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Just your usual flow for the Fraser infront of the mouth of the Sumas. Swift, but not absurd. Your also running a 20+ foot NR though arent you? A little bit more stable platform than a car topper, like the poster is mentioning. It was however a 16 footer side console "crestliner" type of boat with a 40 merc that sank infront of me, and thats not undergunned for the Fraser!

Hydrojet
11-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Achoring from anything other than a very forward mount.....well ahead of center...will result in a downed boat....even a big jet...the big ones will fight a bit longer but will succome in current, especially when the swim grid gets into the mix! current were the boat can touch bottom before sinking isn't enough but the fraser is more than enough current.....watched a boat with a dad and son headed downstream have there 9.9 catch a sunken net and she went down faster than I could process what had just happened.....I was doubting that I had acctually see the boat I thought I did until the dad started hollern for his boy! Very glad that both had pfd's on.

dropshot
11-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Tell you what. Take me fishing and not only will I show some places to fish, I will also give all my experience. :mrgreen:

I am open to taking you or any others out any time to mentor me on the techniques on the Fraser. I am not trying to get your local holes but rather the anchoring techniques and the fishing techniques on the river. It is a big river and once I have the knowledge down I can find my own spots and don't mind putting in the time to do that so I can take my kids out in the future.

After reading some of the responses on here of boats going down I am sure glad I have posted this thread . For those of you who have given input I truly appreciate it. Can someone tell me how much slack line to leave once the anchor hits the bottom.Also can any one tell me if there is a boat launch on the south side of the river between Fort Langley and Sumas Mtn. Seems to me I saw one once over the years walking the dikes but can' t remember where it was. I thought it was on the Mtsqui flats somewhere before Sumas Mtn but could not find it when I drove out there to have a look at it a couple weeks ago

bforce750
11-09-2010, 04:50 PM

Were they in a canoe :confused:

mountainman
11-09-2010, 07:31 PM
After reading some of the responses on here of boats going down I am sure glad I have posted this thread . For those of you who have given input I truly appreciate it. Can someone tell me how much slack line to leave once the anchor hits the bottom.

You might have to kind of play with it a bit to figure out how much to let out. You'll find that if your rope is to steep that when you move in the boat you'll lose your hold on the bottom and to much out your boat will want to swing in the current real bad. You can combat the later by tying a 5 gal pail with holes in it to your stern and letting it out behind your boat or a drift sock. I usually allow enough rope so my line is running at about 45 degrees from the bottom.

Stay safe out there especially in smaller boats.

SHACK
11-10-2010, 06:58 AM
Were they in a canoe :confused:

Read my last post.

Im shocked at some of the resposes I have gotten, or should I say that it seems others do not know this. You dont need to be in a small boat to have the current or "water tension" flip you over and suck you under should your anchor become well hooked up and your rope cleated up elsewhere than the bow!
For anyone who does not believe me, your welcome to try it out, just make sure you have another boat ready to pull ya from the river, and dont say "I didn't warn ya!":wink:

Leaseman
11-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Read my last post.

Im shocked at some of the resposes I have gotten, or should I say that it seems others do not know this. You dont need to be in a small boat to have the current or "water tension" flip you over and suck you under should your anchor become well hooked up and your rope cleated up elsewhere than the bow!
For anyone who does not believe me, your welcome to try it out, just make sure you have another boat ready to pull ya from the river, and dont say "I didn't warn ya!":wink:

I totally believe you, with the hours i have spent on the river over the last number of years..... the thing you see out there especially if it is salmon season is downright scary....:(

Many people drive by the Fraser and think that it is a wide slow moving river! They don't realize the speed, different currents, dead heads to name a few (never mind hidden sand/gravel bars!!) that can be found different times and the farther up the river the worse it can get!!

Not enough people give the respect the river deserves......:?

srupp
11-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Leaseman is THE man when it comes to anchoring on the Fraer river..he is very very good at this...HOW GOOD?? Im glad you asked..:wink:

He is so good at anchoring I was there when he had to leave his anchor on the bottom and go home without it..:mrgreen: NOW there is a guy who really knows how to SET an anchor...

No problems Mike...Im with ya man..just wanted others to know how good you are...you already have me convinced..

so THERE...HA!

oh ya thats not the first time he's left an anchor..se...he's consitant too..

cheers
Steven:mrgreen:

Barracuda
11-10-2010, 05:10 PM
we tie off on the front and it is actually surprising how much it sucks down from the river speed.

the length of the rope also depends on the speed of current .

in slow current you can have a pretty steep angle(as long as it doesnt pull when the boat rocks) but in fast current we need to let the leash out or else we wont hold.