PDA

View Full Version : Successful Sheep hunter becomes the hunted!

Ramshot
10-18-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm telling this story as it was told to me by my uncle. Everything happened yesterday in MU 3-17 in the Mature full curl area. My uncle had spotted rams and a friend of his came for the weekend to see if they could find them again. After a lot of looking they loacted the rams and they were starting to do the rutting ritual. They came up with a game plan and my uncle's buddy took off to get on them as my uncle would use hand signals to tell him where they were. Several hours later he was in place and had to stalk around and figure out which one was legal. He ended up with a beautiful 38+ inch ram well over the nose. He got on his motorola hand held and relayed the good news to my uncle. He had left his pack down the hill aways and started the caping and deboning process. He figured that going and getting his pack was in order so he left his rifle at the ram and started off down the hill. He was down half way when something made him look back. When he turned he was horrified to see a mature mountain lion in full leap heading at him. He had just enough time to move to the side and the cat landed in front of him. With it growling and hissing at him he proceeded to yell and scream and throw everything he could grab off the ground at it. He just made a move for his skinning knife that was on his belt when the cat came at him. He swung his knife at the cat and hit it in the nose. The cat jumped back and was somewhat surprised at what happened. The sheep hunter made it up to his rifle at the kill in record time to just look back as the cat was coming again. He got off two shots and all he could see was hair, scope was on nine power! The cat ran off and he could find no blood. He gets on the radio and my uncle said he was so freaked he couldn't understand him. When he calmed down somewhat he said a f#$% cougar attacked and he said he wasn't sure if he shat himself. He got himself together and went and loaded his ram up and got the hell out of dodge! Six hours later he made it back to the truck. They weighed the pack at my uncle's and it was 145lbs. I might have missed more detail's but this is what was told to me. He was one lucky sheep hunter in more way's than one! Ramshot.

Tenacious Billy
10-18-2010, 01:26 PM
I'd have deuced in my pants for sure if that was me!! That's some crazy shit!!

rifleman
10-18-2010, 01:38 PM
wow thats crazy. glad to hear he is still alive after that. hope he hit the cat with a kill shot. don't want that to happen to anyone else.
any pics of the ram yet?

shawnwells
10-18-2010, 01:42 PM
crazy story...

RayHill
10-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Did he shat himself???

I'm telling this story as it was told to me by my uncle. Everything happened yesterday in MU 3-17 in the Mature full curl area. My uncle had spotted rams and a friend of his came for the weekend to see if they could find them again. After a lot of looking they loacted the rams and they were starting to do the rutting ritual. They came up with a game plan and my uncle's buddy took off to get on them as my uncle would use hand signals to tell him where they were. Several hours later he was in place and had to stalk around and figure out which one was legal. He ended up with a beautiful 38+ inch ram well over the nose. He got on his motorola hand held and relayed the good news to my uncle. He had left his pack down the hill aways and started the caping and deboning process. He figured that going and getting his pack was in order so he left his rifle at the ram and started off down the hill. He was down half way when something made him look back. When he turned he was horrified to see a mature mountain lion in full leap heading at him. He had just enough time to move to the side and the cat landed in front of him. With it growling and hissing at him he proceeded to yell and scream and throw everything he could grab off the ground at it. He just made a move for his skinning knife that was on his belt when the cat came at him. He swung his knife at the cat and hit it in the nose. The cat jumped back and was somewhat surprised at what happened. The sheep hunter made it up to his rifle at the kill in record time to just look back as the cat was coming again. He got off two shots and all he could see was hair, scope was on nine power! The cat ran off and he could find no blood. He gets on the radio and my uncle said he was so freaked he couldn't understand him. When he calmed down somewhat he said a f#$% cougar attacked and he said he wasn't sure if he shat himself. He got himself together and went and loaded his ram up and got the hell out of dodge! Six hours later he made it back to the truck. They weighed the pack at my uncle's and it was 145lbs. I might have missed more detail's but this is what was told to me. He was one lucky sheep hunter in more way's than one! Ramshot.

oldschoolguy
10-18-2010, 01:49 PM
HOLY SH1T. I never knew cougers would actually stalk people like that. Thats creepy

GoatGuy
10-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Sounds like one hell of a ram.

BCrams
10-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Sounds like some good rams dropping this year and good thing nothing worse happened. There's another nice Spences ram taken by a fellow here in PG a couple weeks ago.

BimmerBob
10-18-2010, 02:39 PM
Sounds like a hell of an adventure to go along with a hell of a ram! Wow, would love to see pictures if you happen accross any...

BlacktailStalker
10-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Lucky man !
Sounds like a great ram.

Yotapup
10-18-2010, 05:23 PM
HOLY SH1T. I never knew cougers would actually stalk people like that. Thats creepy

I'd believe it. Vortex Hunter and I we're out in spring for bear. Came to a fork in the trail so we went our ways. A few minutes later he came running at full speed. I quickly made it to him and he tells me there's a couger down there, could see it's tail flicking in the air and maybe even saw it move around a bit (if he reads this I'm sure he'll clarify it more)

I flicked my scope caps and safety off and we got out of there quick.

Great story man! That's some scary stuff right there. Glad to hear he made it out without a scratch. He'll never forget that one.

M.Dean
10-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Your Uncle going to have one hellva story to tell around the camp fire for a long long time Ramshot!!! Glad he made it out, sounds like he's one tough Sheep Hunter!Congrats to him for what sounds like a real fine Ram! M.Dean

Stone Sheep Steve
10-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Holy crap!!

Funny...just heard the same details in an email. Obviously the same story:wink:.

Congrats to your Uncle and glad to hear he's okay!

SSS

Jelvis
10-18-2010, 07:02 PM
That could have turned into a real Cat tastrophy glad he dint get hurt.
JellyCat ..

Chuck
10-18-2010, 07:06 PM
WOW! Now that's a story and a half with a good ending. Maybe he should buy a Lotto ticket, just in case.

peashooter
10-18-2010, 07:17 PM
i think it was another hunter dressed up like a mountain lion to steal a 38" trophy.

Rattler
10-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Wow, he is very lucky. Glad everything worked out ok for him.

parkerhale308
10-18-2010, 08:46 PM
I bet he will never leave his rifle behind again.

landphil
10-18-2010, 08:47 PM
They weighed the pack at my uncle's and it was 145lbs.

I'm willing to bet he hardly felt the weight of that pack after the puddytat ran away!:-D

Ruger4
10-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Daryl I'll bet Uncle will never leave his rifle behind again !!
scarey , glad he's ok , post pics of ram please......

Lucky77_
09-19-2014, 11:18 PM
Good story ramshot

tayleoscar
09-20-2014, 07:23 AM
WOW!!!! very lucky, congrats on the ram

swampthing
09-20-2014, 08:11 AM
Crazy stuff. I never get that kind of excitement. Any time I have come across a cat it bolts the second eye contact is made. Sounds like a stomper ram!!

Weatherby Fan
09-20-2014, 08:14 AM
Its only been 4 years and still no picture of that Ram.........cool story though !

Phreddy
09-20-2014, 06:53 PM
My son, Betterofffishing, had a similar experience sitting by a game trail a few short years ago. ALWAYS look behind and around you ever once in a while.

Brambles
09-20-2014, 07:06 PM
That's wild, clearly he was on a migratory path!!!

stinkyduck
09-22-2014, 07:03 PM
where is the picture of the ram wes????

.330 Dakota
09-22-2014, 08:56 PM
i think it was another hunter dressed up like a mountain lion to steal a 38" trophy.

It was Dave Suzuki,,the pussy

Lucky77_
04-24-2016, 07:33 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5757&stc=1http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5758&stc=1

New Bow Hunter
04-24-2016, 08:25 PM
Speaking of cougar attacks, when I worked in Port Alice I had the opportunity to have coffee with this gentleman.

http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/wildlife-nature/articles/pdfs/cougar-cougar-attack.pdf

okas
04-25-2016, 04:46 PM
A friend of mine in Port Alice used to look after all this Cougar stuff . He stopped before this attack as a CO with no brain like most of them to lazy for a real job and to stupid to get a trade FU-KED him over and he sold the dogs.:wink: took two off the school grounds no more tags

604Stalker
04-25-2016, 05:53 PM
Sounds like he had a big set of balls with him if that was the case .. Ive always been adiment that big cats are the only thing that scare the crap out of me in the bush nice ram!

stinkyduck
04-27-2016, 08:36 PM
Nice ram buddy!