PDA

View Full Version : Cops and dirt bikes yesterday

Kudu
10-18-2010, 11:34 AM
So my son and I left home before sunrise yesterday, got to the FSR while still dark, got the bikes off the trailer, got the pack's sorted and rifle in its rack, Our bikes Honda xr's have no Headlights..... Breakfast was served (bacon rolls and coffee) just as dawn cracked.

We took a leisurely ride up the FSR and over the mountains, away from the Sunday rat race, known as the Chilliwack bench road. Bridal falls our intended destination was a good ride off in the distance, along the way we stoped and glased numerous cut blocks saw a number of dear, but a 4 pointer or nothing - was the call for the day.

Having spent a really great day out, hunting, riding and just really enjoying the country and scenery, we headed back towards our SUV around 4 pm.

About 400 meters from the car, a cop comes riding up on a quad and indicates for us to pull over.

Not really to bothered, we slow down and stop, Josh hits the brakes a little hard and skids maybe 12 - 18 inches - then stalls, he is nervous of-course.

The cop walks up and asks for our third party insurance - I just pull my BCWF Card out, and explain that if he wants to see the actual documentation he can accompany us to the car - which I point out as it is clearly visible from where we are.

He took one look at the card, he had of course noticed the rifle on its rack and simply nodded that the card was fine.

Then he started having a go at Josh - accusing him of reckless behavior, and all types of crap. The kid just sat and took it all in, apologised for skidding on the wet mud surface and said he would not do it again.

The cop then goes off to his quad, to get a book of some sort - I guessed a ticket book, to write us up for something or another.

He comes back with a book and starts writing a ticket, reckless driving seems to be the main contention, when he asks Josh for his BC driving licence - Josh replies that does not have one - the cop starts writing him up for that too.

I tell josh to take his helmet off and show the cop that he is only fifteen.

The cop is now staring at the kid realising that he is probably up shit-creek without a paddle - I then ofcourse ask the dumb question about licence requirements for riding on FSR'S.

The cop realising that we were about 350 meters from the start of the paved road, and still clearly on a FSR just looked dumbley at me

You could see the penny dropping in the cops expression, but not wanting to look like a complete blithering Idiot still wagged a finger at Josh and told him to be careful.

Seeing that we were heading towards our car, he put the ticket book into his jacket pocket and rode down the road, off the FSR and parked in front of the Car, waiting for us to ride onto the paved road ........

Giving the twat a cautious wave, josh an I turned around and just rode up the road, leaving him watching us, and most-likely tearing that ticket up.

So what did we learn?

The cops in Chilliwack know and understand the BCWF insurance rules, having a rifle on the bikes showed we were hunting, and they accepted it as much.

Josh needs to keep calm, and stop gently when confronted by the law.

And there are not a lot of deer along that FSR or in the cut-blocks.

Mtn Wonderer
10-18-2010, 11:44 AM
I hate it when things like this happen, just because it ends a good Vibe for the day!!

Nice to see you had all T's crossed and the I's Dotted.

MTW

BigBanger
10-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Sounds like a great learning experience for the kid, good job.

Kudu
10-18-2010, 11:57 AM
I hate it when things like this happen, just because it ends a good Vibe for the day!!

Nice to see you had all T's crossed and the I's Dotted.

MTW

To be honest mate - it did not really worry us.

I was confident that the BCWF insurance had us covered as long as we were hunting or fishing - just as the person had said when I called, to make doubly sure.

The Kids and I love getting out on our dirt bikes, we love hunting the back country, and don't really want to tag out to soon, as it will curtail these weekend adventures of ours. I know once the snow comes we will be restricted - but in the meantime......

I can see why the cops blitz that area, there are many out there that need to slow up a bit. Some of the things we have seen people do on their atv's and dirt bikes around there is quite astonishing, having said that - we have met many, many great people out there in the past and I'm sure we will meet many more in the future.

vortex hunter
10-18-2010, 11:57 AM
yeah cops have nothing better to do that ride all of the fsr and try and ding people. My cousin-in-law ride's at chipmonk creek in chilliwack and says there like scabs thier . They want you to have a license plate on your dirtbike like yeaaaah okay buddy like he is gonna put a plate on his nice kx450f . anyways it's alot to do with the guy's on quads riding around with a whiskey bottle between there legs.. anyways I think our bcwf card is good enough. And he should have left your son alone ..... I would take your son and fight that thats bullsh_t like pickin on a little kid SAD very SAD and me talking I didn't try to offend any police officers from this SITE ...thats my 2 cents

Squamch
10-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Probably a member of the special detachment of fun police.

Mauser98
10-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Besides $200,000 liability insurance and helmets, a driver's licence is required when riding on an FSR.

It's probably a good thing that the Officer wasn't up on on all the rules that apply when driving on an FSR. Actually, maybe he was and decided to give the boy a break for not having a drivers licence or his own liability insurance.

The second paragraph on the attached pamphlet pretty much spells it out.

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hth/engineering/documents/brochures/Guide-for-Safe-Travel.pdf

Jagermeister
10-18-2010, 12:40 PM
I'll break it to you gently. Your son needs to have a valid drivers licence to ride on FSRs along with the required insurance. You cannot get insurance without a valid drivers licence.
Maybe the cop did not know all the rules, afterall, they have to know firearm regulations as well.
On the other hand, maybe he was just being nice and didn't want to end your son's otherwise good day with a ticket.

vortex hunter
10-18-2010, 01:35 PM
why would you need a driver's license on a fsr when your car insurance is nill-in-void on any fsr anyhow thats a joke . I have dirtbiked for years since I could walk and find it a farce . this bs about having insurance started a year ago after idiots who drove around drinking on the quads , dirtbikes and have hurt people . whats the world coming to ....

thepitchedlink
10-18-2010, 02:26 PM
The kid is 15...he can't have a drivers license.

Barracuda
10-18-2010, 03:02 PM
which means he cant operate a mc on an fsr . and you have had to have third party since the 70s i think it is just that it wasnt enforced

Kyle84
10-18-2010, 03:04 PM
You must have a vaild drivers license to drive your dirt bike on the FSR, doesnt matter if hes 15 or not. I found out the hard way. Active FSR is a public road like granville street in Vancouver. You are aloud to ride a de actived FSR without insurance or license. Same with riding in the Bush.

DMAN009
10-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Can you say MONEY GRAB?

Unfortunately, the cop was doing his job as per our "government regulations". One law I am not to fond about.

It's funny how they pick on the people that are not breaking the law. Do you know why? Because honest people pay the tickets!!!

The people out there burning cars and partying and leaving a huge mess everywhere go unpunished. Why? becaues if you are a cop who is easier to handle. A couple guys/girls on dirtbikes in a good mood enjoying a nice day in the back country, or a bunch of rowdy people drunk and high?

I have a prime story to prove it.

I used to work downtown working for construction on the Woodwards Redevelopment site. I was building the SFU campus. Well I was driving to work one day with my dad in the car. I own a mazda 3 sport. The new age station wagon so to speak. I love it.

When I bought it I got all the windows tinted. exlcuding the front window obviously. The driverside front window and passenger side window had the lowest tint possible. just enough to give it a ting of darkness. My eyes are very sensitive to light and I find it less straining to have this. As well as I do enjoy the look it gives the vehicle. (and before you say it...I do know it is illiegal. That is why I went with the lowest tint possible so it would help but not cause problems.)

So I am driving down hastings street, just past main street. The red and blue comes on. HERE WE GO. I didnt know what the deal was. Needless to say he questioned me about the tint on the window. I said it didnt have any of course. He said he couldnt see through it. I called bullshit. I sad It is 630am. Its raining. Of course you cant see through it.

It took him a few minutes to realize that I actually had it. I asked him why it was illegal. He told me it doesnt matter why and that he didnt have to explain it to me.

I responded with...Isnt prostitution illegal?? As I pointed to the two hookers on the corner.....Isnt smoking crack illegal? as I point to the two guys huddled down smoking a crack pipe across the street. and then I said Isnt selling weed like THAT GUY on the other side of my car illegal?

He didnt say anything as he finished writing my ticket. I said I sure hope my tint doesnt kill anyone.

Kyle84
10-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Its an okay law, just sucks if your a kid and learning to ride cuz FSR is a easy place to learn. But what happens if there is an accident involving a couple of people and someone is seriously hurt or bikes/quads get wrecked. Going to need a vaild license and insurance.

crazy ducker
10-18-2010, 03:36 PM
can't you get third party on your house insurance because we need it to hunt in the fraser valley

troutseeker
10-18-2010, 03:53 PM
He didnt say anything as he finished writing my ticket. I said I sure hope my tint doesnt kill anyone.

Did he also write you a box 2 notice and order to get the tint removed and to bring your car to a detachment to prove it was done? Or better yet, a box 1 notice and order, meaning he takes your plates and our car get's towed to a place of your choice? Then, only once you've complied and had the car inspected (at your cost) can you put new plates on it (at your cost)...

Seems like you got a good deal, only getting a ticket for tinted windows, especially since, as you said, you knew you were breaking a law... :-D

Glassman
10-18-2010, 05:32 PM
I own an auto glass/tint shop and have tinted front door glass for cops and cops wives personel cars, ghost cars, NHL hockey players cars, lawyers, and other people cars/trucks that I can't say, and the average Joe Schmo. The only cars ever to come back is from the average Joe. In a whole year maybe 3 or 4 cars come back to get tint removed. When mister policeman is behind you ready to pull you over he runs your plate and when he finds out the car is registered to a celeb or a fellow cop buddy all is ok, but if it is Joe Schmo he gets a ticket.

JoshLedoux
10-18-2010, 05:57 PM
Did he also write you a box 2 notice and order to get the tint removed and to bring your car to a detachment to prove it was done? Or better yet, a box 1 notice and order, meaning he takes your plates and our car get's towed to a place of your choice? Then, only once you've complied and had the car inspected (at your cost) can you put new plates on it (at your cost)...

Seems like you got a good deal, only getting a ticket for tinted windows, especially since, as you said, you knew you were breaking a law... :-D

This is the crap we always get, "were lucky the cop didnt treat us worse" "be thankfull all we got was a ticket" I hate this overcompensating nanny-state form of thinking. Tint on a window? are you kidding me? why should we be thankfull or feel lucky after some expensive fine because we need somebody else to tell us what is safe for us?

slicky72
10-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Move this debate to open chat , it has nothing to do with hunting!

DMAN009
10-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks JOSH... I totally agree.

Can anyone explain why it is illegal?

BCLongshot
10-18-2010, 06:14 PM
I totally agree with you Josh !!!

The holier than thou lawmakers and enforcers.

They can be so damn stupid and ignorant.

I am totally discusted with how weak people are !

sparky300winmag
10-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Gone are the good ol days of riding in the bush.I think its an f...ing shame.Too many rules , regulations , signs , licences and shit for everything you do these days.Ya i already know , all you do gooders have a reason for it.

urbanhermit
10-18-2010, 06:23 PM
it boils down to accountability, years ago people were accountable for their actions etc. now judges dont hold criminals accountable, pinheads dont hold themselves accountable for their own stupidity and want to sue somebody. we are screwed as a country the way its going...

BCLongshot
10-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Gone are the good ol days of riding in the bush.I think its an f...ing shame.Too many rules , regulations , signs , licences and shit for everything you do these days.Ya i already know , all you do gooders have a reason for it.

ha ha

Well down here in the FV anyways where we have a heavy concentration of losers (2 millionish).

Y not just bust the balls of the dumbass shit disturbers instead of the good people.

My favourite of late are the lazy ass Royal Canadian Mounted Police standing in the Scale office when it's raining giving truckers seatbelt tickets.

Ooooooooo I'm such a bad person for not having my seatbelt on going through the scales. Please forgive me !

AWESOME

mud-dog27
10-18-2010, 06:32 PM
its cause of crap like this that ive given up on bothering with a dirt bike cause theres just too much crap, i was on a miniquad pretty much from the time i could walk til about 6 or 7yrs old and we never had insurance and us younger ones obviously never had DLs its a joke but like others have said its easier to hassle people who are just enjoying themselves and if anything by hassling the kid its just gunna put a bad impression on him for the future, im starting to think it may be worth getting into a field where your involved with police so you can get away with what ever you want would deffinately make life more hassle free.

Torch
10-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Just because a law is in place doesn't make it good or effective...Good cops know this... This lame duck "well it could have been worse" attitude I hear from many in the 45+ age range seems to me as maybe part of the reason this countries in a bad spot and getting worse over the last 20 years...

(I'm not blaming ALL people in This age group, thats just where I've herd it most)

BearStump
10-18-2010, 06:40 PM
DMAN009 Thanks JOSH... I totally agree.

Can anyone explain why it is illegal?

maybe I can shed a little light.
and before I say anything else, I'll have to say that I agree that this is a pretty hokey law and it sucks that you're windows cant have any tint other than a factory job.
I got a $109 fine for my windows a couple years ago. not only that but it was a cop buddy of mine that plays hockey with me that gave me the fine(f#@*! prick)
any how, I think there is a couple of reasons.

1. a cop cannot see into the vehicle clearly to identify the occupants, therefore making it impossible for him to assess risk while approaching a pulled over car. This may put the officers safety in jeopardy.

2.it adds to the visibility problems of a driver.
(now I know that one is hard to swallow cuz I dont think that it does. but if you think about it..........at night in the rain without street lights.......its hard enough to see, but add some tint to the windows and it gets really hard.)

Kyle84
10-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Whats so bad about having a license/insurance on the FSR? (which is a public road, just like any other road). Only makes sense to me. Like i said, riding in the bush or deactivated FSR doesnt require a license/insurance.

Kyle84
10-18-2010, 08:02 PM
I agree with BearStump. Also if you want to ride chipmunk without license/insurance just drive down the road an extra couple minutes to the gravel pit, you'll be fine there. The RCMP patrol that area all the time, even they will tell you to park at the gravel pit if you dont have license/insurance.

Sitkaspruce
10-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Whats so bad about having a license/insurance on the FSR? (which is a public road, just like any other road). Only makes sense to me. Like i said, riding in the bush or deactivated FSR doesnt require a license/insurance.

Tell me where it says you can drive on a deactivated FSR w/o insurance???

Insurance is needed on ALL FSR's and soon it will be on ALL roads, whether FSR or under RP. Plus licencing and registration, it is all going to be in place by Nov 2011

The rules are in place all thanks to the ambulance chasers who are right there anytime a person is hurt asking about liability and whether they want to sue or not. Just look in the yellow pages under lawyers and see how many ask about or mention accidents.

It is the sign of the times and whether we like it or not, it will be in effect.

Cheers

SS

Kudu
10-18-2010, 09:51 PM
Besides $200,000 liability insurance and helmets, a driver's licence is required when riding on an FSR.

It's probably a good thing that the Officer wasn't up on on all the rules that apply when driving on an FSR. Actually, maybe he was and decided to give the boy a break for not having a drivers licence or his own liability insurance.

The second paragraph on the attached pamphlet pretty much spells it out.

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hth/engineering/documents/brochures/Guide-for-Safe-Travel.pdf

I'm sorry - but I forgot to mention that Josh is a registered hunter with his core exam passed and a payed up member of BCWF as well, I guess that entitles him to the same insurance coverage as I have.....?

Helmets? - we ride with helmets all the time - only a bloody fool would ride with out one.

6.5x55
10-18-2010, 09:59 PM
There are also now stiff penalties for riding off road in environmentally sensitive areas . Unfortunately fellas its high time the ATV crowd got off their asses and started walking. IMO the best place to ATV is about 200kms west of Tofino. The hunting would sure get better.

vortex hunter
10-18-2010, 10:14 PM
kudo I think what happened to your kid was bs. I had a chat with the cousin-in-law today and he said the prick cops at chipmonk even bugged them at camp about no insurance. He told the cop he is not riding and this is bs the cop told him not to ride the rode he laughed and said show me in your little book were you need insurance to ride dirtbike trails. It's a total JOKE try giving me a ticket for that lol hope the cop can ride trails good and fast lol I just feel sorry for the kids growing up .....

mud-dog27
10-18-2010, 11:51 PM
kudo I think what happened to your kid was bs. I had a chat with the cousin-in-law today and he said the prick cops at chipmonk even bugged them at camp about no insurance. He told the cop he is not riding and this is bs the cop told him not to ride the rode he laughed and said show me in your little book were you need insurance to ride dirtbike trails. It's a total JOKE try giving me a ticket for that lol hope the cop can ride trails good and fast lol I just feel sorry for the kids growing up .....

exactly like the kid is 15yrs old out having a good time with his dad and has to get hassled by some high and mighty cop, if anything the cop shoulda praised the kid for being a good kid instead of being out there involved with gangs and drugs and shit.

all i can say is its no surprised people lose more and more respect for cops each day with crap like this........and answer me this where is a little kid supposed to learn how to ride their little 50.....cant do it on the street.....cant do it anywhere in city limits....and if ya ask me expecting a 5yr old to pick up trail riding when they are starting out is a little much, so to all the do gooders on here that say it makes perfect sense that every rider should be licensed and insured whats your answer to that.

slicky72
10-19-2010, 06:41 AM
Here's the future of motor sports
http://popkummotorcyclepark.com/
The only place that is practical for a youth to ride these days is private property. No license means no ride on the rode which includes fsr's . When in the woods you are encouraged to stay on the roads and not tear off into the hills so you are not supposed to ride there either. It sucks as a parent or youth but that's the facts, many others stated it on here already. Yes we are over regulated, but it's no different than anything else these days. It's the yahoos that have ruined it for the honest folks.

DMAN009
10-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Ok so I can understand a little about the cops safety. But then why can you have factory tint or smoked glass.

And in all reality it is pretty obvious when some gang bangers are cruizing the streets with their balling rims, blacked out all windows, cranked stereo. Usually $40 000+ vehicle. Not a mazda 3 sport haha. Go hassle the escalade rolling on dubs a$$.

I dont agree that it affects my vision. Like I said I got the least amount possible.

Back to the fsr insurance. Wait until they start inforcing sound laws like the states does. Oh your factory dirt bike exceeds the 95db sound limit CHA CHING $50....oh and you cant ride until you get a new pipe.

Been there done that.

All I know is I just hope they dont close any more areas down. There are not enough places close to ride.

Barracuda
10-19-2010, 10:57 AM
i welcome a 95 db enforcement on vehicles such as MCs and boats and quads.

Slinky Pickle
10-19-2010, 11:26 AM
i welcome a 95 db enforcement on vehicles such as MCs and boats and quads.

Agreed!!!!

BigBanger
10-19-2010, 11:34 AM
I don't!!!!

Barracuda
10-19-2010, 11:50 AM
noise is the one thing that impacts everyone near. What is the purpose of the extra noise? It isnt better performance .

Bowzone_Mikey
10-19-2010, 12:08 PM
the cop didnt have a clue about rules ..... you were lucky ... most likey if he did you would be one bike short right now and a whole lot lighter in the bank account

DMAN009
10-19-2010, 12:19 PM
noise is the one thing that impacts everyone near. What is the purpose of the extra noise? It isnt better performance .

Dont get me wrong I am not a "Get a loud pipe" kind of person. I am just saying that why would there be a law that is made to require a sound level. But just about all bikes or quads u buy exceed it right out of the box.

Its just one of those things that makes you go hmmm.

And for someone who rides a lot. I never hear fellow riders when you stop and take a break. You can sit there in silence and not hear a thing but yet tehre are 15 trucks parked at the lot.

Obviously it depends on where you ride but in reality is there any homes near the few riding areas we have

goatdancer
10-19-2010, 12:35 PM
A deactivated road is no longer cosidered an FSR.

mxracer328
10-19-2010, 12:43 PM
i wish i could say gone with the good old days, but im to young to say that. i think its a shame the way the southern part of BC is getting. i never get hassled about riding around FSR's or my parents gravel road. hell just this summer me and my buddies tried to see how far we could make it up sand blast hill in pg. got a friendly visit from the blue berries and cherries reminding us not to splatter ourselves on the road because that would be to much paper work for him. followed by a 20 talk about his suburban and trying to talk him into doing a burnout. if i started getting hassled about how loud my bike is with stock exhaust or going down a FSR i would just not stop anymore.

Torch
10-19-2010, 02:10 PM
^ and that is why I'm moving to PG...

I'll find new stuff to p*ss me off ;)

Sitkaspruce
10-19-2010, 02:19 PM
A deactivated road is no longer cosidered an FSR.

You might want to confirm that. Just because it is deactivated does not mean that tenure is lost. There is lots of deactivated FSR's, usually maintained as wilderness status, but they are still FSR's. Any road that the gov builds or takes over is an FSR. Hell I was just inspecting two Bill 28 takeback roads that are FSR's, yet both are deactivated. Actually one is no longer there in life, but is still there on paper. The Wakeman and Kingcome FSR's are two that come to mind.

I used to deactivate all sorts of FSR's then reactivate them a couple years later to access more wood.

You might want to re think your toughts if you think that an FSR that is dactivated is not an FSR.

Cheers

SS

mxracer328
10-19-2010, 02:40 PM
^ and that is why I'm moving to PG...

I'll find new stuff to p*ss me off ;)

when are you movin up to pg?

Good2bCanadian
10-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Chipmunk is a horrible place to take a kid to learn to ride. Way too many cars and people ripping around to tea h your kid safely there. I personally know 2 people that have died there riding on the roads. Road riding is for squids that don't know how to ride. You and your son are not included in that last statement. It is so easy for a shitty rider to feel like a hero on a logging road. I bet 90percent of the people that ride there have no clue of the trail network on the mountains, and even fewer have the skills to ride them. If you want a nice fsr to take your son on take one of the less used roads in the valley to take them on. The cops don't have the man power to police the area so they go in and spend a shift up there once and a while and bust as many people to get there quota. I bet if you choose any other fsr other than chipmunk you will never get hassled. Chipmunk is the problem hotspot that's why they are there.
Try nicklemine fsr 15 min past hope up the #1. fsr are alot less busy and probably a safer area to ride.
90 percent of the bad injuries my riding group have witnessed have been on the logging roads. Teach your kid to ride trails and if he has to ride on the roads, he will be a much better rider.

Gunner Staal
10-19-2010, 03:32 PM
This is the crap we always get, "were lucky the cop didnt treat us worse" "be thankfull all we got was a ticket" I hate this overcompensating nanny-state form of thinking. Tint on a window? are you kidding me? why should we be thankfull or feel lucky after some expensive fine because we need somebody else to tell us what is safe for us?

Do you have any clue why you cant have tint on a window??? At all??? And does YOUR opinion of whether or not it should or shouldn't be against the law make a cop an asshole for enforcing WHAT IS a provincial statute.

Well im a cop as you figured....one that has never written a window tint ticket and honestly never will. I never was a fan of writing people tickets. But just so you know....If you can put yourself in the situation of having to pull over a vehicle in the middle of the night (or day) for that matter after receiving a call of a violent nature. Maybe its a gangster who's known to carry weapons or a guy who just beat his wife and took off with a gun....or maybe just a regular old traffic stop for speeding but unknown to you the guy behind the wheel has a warrant and is refuses to go back to prison. As you approach the vehicle the only thing on your mind is trying to see inside that car. How many people? Whats the driver doing? Why is his hand in the console? Tinted windows....takes that all away. Now YOU are approaching this gangsters car with no ability to see that hes pointing a shotgun straight at your chest the whole time your approaching the vehicle. Sure...its unlikely, but its realistic. Its something that Ive had to face many a time. I question why you need tinted windows to begin with?? Because they look cool?? You need privacy as your driving down the highway?? To each his own I guess. Anyway, I dont want to rant, there are definitely good cops and bad cops just like any other profession in the world. But oh to turn the coin for just a day.....when even if YOU did your job exactly as you were taught, exactly by the rules and regulations of a higher power you had no control over....and just the same your critisized and slandered for doing your best. Just the same I still love it......almost as much as hunting!

mijinkal
10-19-2010, 03:48 PM
I got a ticket for driving with tint on my front windows, and the Vancouver police officer said that the film is not safe for front windows because it's harder to break the window and rescue somebody, or arrest them I guess. He said it would have been fine if they were smoked instead of having the film on.
I actually had been given 2 warnings in the 2 weeks prior to getting the ticket so I deserved it I guess. Every cop said that the film on the window was the illegal part.
As for the cop that was looking for any reason to give your son a ticket, don't let him ruin your day. Some police officers forget the reason for handing out tickets it seems. There's a lot of good cops out there, don't let the bad ones give them all a black eye.

DMAN009
10-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Do you have any clue why you cant have tint on a window??? At all??? And does YOUR opinion of whether or not it should or shouldn't be against the law make a cop an asshole for enforcing WHAT IS a provincial statute.

Well im a cop as you figured....one that has never written a window tint ticket and honestly never will. I never was a fan of writing people tickets. But just so you know....If you can put yourself in the situation of having to pull over a vehicle in the middle of the night (or day) for that matter after receiving a call of a violent nature. Maybe its a gangster who's known to carry weapons or a guy who just beat his wife and took off with a gun....or maybe just a regular old traffic stop for speeding but unknown to you the guy behind the wheel has a warrant and is refuses to go back to prison. As you approach the vehicle the only thing on your mind is trying to see inside that car. How many people? Whats the driver doing? Why is his hand in the console? Tinted windows....takes that all away. Now YOU are approaching this gangsters car with no ability to see that hes pointing a shotgun straight at your chest the whole time your approaching the vehicle. Sure...its unlikely, but its realistic. Its something that Ive had to face many a time. I question why you need tinted windows to begin with?? Because they look cool?? You need privacy as your driving down the highway?? To each his own I guess. Anyway, I dont want to rant, there are definitely good cops and bad cops just like any other profession in the world. But oh to turn the coin for just a day.....when even if YOU did your job exactly as you were taught, exactly by the rules and regulations of a higher power you had no control over....and just the same your critisized and slandered for doing your best. Just the same I still love it......almost as much as hunting!

See this I understand. And yes the answer to your question is I do think it looks cool but my main reason is I have sensitive eyes to light. I find I squint a lot which tends to headaches and I do where sunglasses but when you have tint you dont need the sunglasses all the time. Plus it keeps your car cooler by blocking out the sun.

And as for getting pulled over, I ussually roll down all my windows so that it isn't a question about what I am doing in the car. (I dont get pulled over that often for the record.) But even going through the border. I roll down all the windows. I got nothing to hide. I know I am one of the few. If I were you in that situation I would draw my gun.

My comment was more towards a cop giving a ticket downtown east side amongst some of the worst people in vancouver for window tint. The ones that steal, and sell their bodies, and are involved in mass amounst of drugs are just cruising around not getting busted. That was more my point. Like I said I know it's illegal but realistically if I roll my windows down etc and make it easy view. PS they are not blacked out. They are the weakest tint anyone can get.

I also know that you cant put all those people in jail etc etc. Their life is worse on the street. Thats the hard part. But having to swallow a window tint ticket while people are smoking crack and selling their bodies on the corner is a hard one to swallow.

PS my best friend since kindergarden is a cop. I understand. He tells me all about some of the prick cops as well.

BimmerBob
10-19-2010, 04:26 PM
He tells me all about some of the prick cops as well.

And... unfortunately, sometimes it is OTHER cops! :icon_frow

Squamch
10-19-2010, 05:19 PM
It really warms my heart when I hear of a cop loosing his chance to fine and collect. I bet there's at least three good cops, and boy do I hope I can meet one one day. The rest of em will get just as much respect as I get from them.

Gunner Staal
10-19-2010, 05:52 PM
Well to the last two comments who have obviously had some bad experiences I would invite you into my camp anytime your in the Kelowna area. I think maybe your opinions would change. The beer is cold and the fire is warm in my world and your more than welcome to sit by it. Despite being called a prick on this website by a fellow who doesnt have the gall to just say it and has never met me in his life, the invites still there pal, anytime.

vortex hunter
10-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Chipmunk is a horrible place to take a kid to learn to ride. Way too many cars and people ripping around to tea h your kid safely there. I personally know 2 people that have died there riding on the roads. Road riding is for squids that don't know how to ride. You and your son are not included in that last statement. It is so easy for a shitty rider to feel like a hero on a logging road. I bet 90percent of the people that ride there have no clue of the trail network on the mountains, and even fewer have the skills to ride them. If you want a nice fsr to take your son on take one of the less used roads in the valley to take them on. The cops don't have the man power to police the area so they go in and spend a shift up there once and a while and bust as many people to get there quota. I bet if you choose any other fsr other than chipmunk you will never get hassled. Chipmunk is the problem hotspot that's why they are there.
Try nicklemine fsr 15 min past hope up the #1. fsr are alot less busy and probably a safer area to ride.
90 percent of the bad injuries my riding group have witnessed have been on the logging roads. Teach your kid to ride trails and if he has to ride on the roads, he will be a much better rider.
Chipmonk is a crappy place to ride I like nicklemine better and its safer I almost got hit by some drunk on his quad in chipmonk two years ago and trail riding is for those who CAN RIDE not to learn on the kid would get hurt in alot of places

Kyle84
10-19-2010, 10:15 PM
chipmunk is an awsome place to ride, the 34km loop is wicked. Plus all the marked trails, easy riding. Nicklemines is obviously better, harder trailers.

JCVD
10-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Well to the last two comments who have obviously had some bad experiences I would invite you into my camp anytime your in the Kelowna area. I think maybe your opinions would change. The beer is cold and the fire is warm in my world and your more than welcome to sit by it. Despite being called a prick on this website by a fellow who doesnt have the gall to just say it and has never met me in his life, the invites still there pal, anytime.

I personally don't think all cops are pricks. Pretty much just 90% of traffic cops. I have met some cool ones, especially when I was a teenager. They gave me a lot of breaks which I did not deserve. One who I worked out with occasionally mentioned that traffic cops are taught to be extra aggressive. I find that being extra pleasant throws them off a bit haha. I drive like an old man now anyway though so I haven't run into one in years ;)

ps I would want full tint just because...and I hate people gawking at me beacuse of my ravishingly good looks.:mrgreen:

Gunner Staal
10-20-2010, 05:49 AM
I personally don't think all cops are pricks. Pretty much just 90% of traffic cops. I have met some cool ones, especially when I was a teenager. They gave me a lot of breaks which I did not deserve. One who I worked out with occasionally mentioned that traffic cops are taught to be extra aggressive. I find that being extra pleasant throws them off a bit haha. I drive like an old man now anyway though so I haven't run into one in years ;)

ps I would want full tint just because...and I hate people gawking at me beacuse of my ravishingly good looks.:mrgreen:

HAHAHA! You are more right than youll every know! About the traffic cop part......I cant comment on the good looks. Ha!

j270wsm
10-20-2010, 10:22 AM
I bought my first 2 dirt bikes last year( one for me and one for my son) and we learned how to ride together, we never had insurance( didnt know it was needed) and we were never bothered. This spring I wanted to do some riding near Koocanusa so I purchased insurance. I also asked about getting coverage for my 7 + 4yr old sons, I was told that only people who had a DL could buy insurance and that my boys are covered under my insurance.

I am lucky enough to live in a community where I can buy my insurance and then get a $10 plate from the District office and litterly ride my bike out of my drive way onto a trail system and be out of town in 2 minutes.