PDA

View Full Version : Moose hunting question??

Mtn Wonderer
10-18-2010, 08:39 AM
I am trying to get mt wife an LEH moose in the Clinton Area.

This weekend we managed to call one in but it hung back behind one tree and wouldn't give us a good shot. We could see bone but not enough animal to make a ethical shot.

The moose figured something was up pulled a 180 and was gone.
It was in are regrowth cut the trees are eight to 10 feet tall. so no Parting shots were offered damn!!!

I've never seen my wifed so pumped up! Only to be deflated so quickly. Bummer.

We're headed back up there next weekend, would you consider this moose schooled or do you think he may come to a call again???

We still have a little more time.

Big7
10-18-2010, 08:51 AM
I've called the same bull in twice....as early as the next day....so keep trying!

bearhunter338-06
10-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Have your wife sit about 50 yards to one side of you, then call a moose in

Mtn Wonderer
10-18-2010, 09:33 AM
She was to one side about forty yards, wouldn't you know it the moose comes from the other side!!!!! Grr!!

tomahawk
10-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Nothing to lose by trying to call him again, it will depend on how his rut state is next week. In the prime rut i have had a bull spot me as he came in before i spotted him, as I saw him he ran into the bush at hight speed, clearly not liking my presence. I walked up to where he went into the bush at high speed and sat down and watched by watch for 10 mins, I knew once he was in dense cover he would have settled down. I used the same call as I had used to call him out the first time and he took only seconds to be back right where he had run off and within my sights again and down he went. That was a large mature breeding bull in full rut and it only took 10 mins to forget his past!!

moosecaller
10-18-2010, 10:55 AM
If it is in the area and was not just a transit moose it will come to the call again. When it gets close go more subtle with the call away and soft into the ground behind you, break a few branches the snapping has a positive effect. I have had them come in right after a shot, do your part and your wife will score if she does her part. Good luck.

16ga
10-18-2010, 11:02 AM
This may not be the smartest comment, but..... you have seen a bull there, why not go back and call? Seems like a good spot.

Mtn Wonderer
10-18-2010, 11:50 AM
This may not be the smartest comment, but..... you have seen a bull there, why not go back and call? Seems like a good spot.

Did that the next day, but nothing happened so we went for a good hike of the area and found rubs and beds so we will be back again.

MTW

Sitkaspruce
10-18-2010, 09:33 PM
Always set up your partner in front of you, as the bull will be fixated on you and nothing else. If they hold up, move away and do not worry about making noise (as long as it natural) and call away from the bull. Keep this up and make sure your partner is watching both side as well as in front as they will move around to try and get your wind.

I have called bulls after they have been shot at, I have called in another bull after shooting the first one and have stopped bulls in their tracks while sliding to a stop in the middle of a logging road, so try it again and if no luck go back there again.

i'st addicting, fun and frustrating all wrapped up in one!!!!

Good luck

Cheers

SS

Ltbullken
10-19-2010, 03:54 AM
Call him again. He'll come back. Careful of your scent, wind etc. Good luck!

c.r.hunter
10-19-2010, 07:56 AM
The bull will try to catch your wind before coming out in the open. Try to set up your shooter down wind assuming that's where he will come out. Be sure to tone down the volume of your calling when he gets close. If he holds up again, try a couple of bull grunts and scraping a shed, shoulder blade or large branch on some trees where you're hiding. Keep in mind that this might spook a young bull who's not interested in fighting. But if he comes in grunting and looks like he's a got some size, it will often seal the deal. Sometimes, if the bull thinks there's compitition for the hot cow, he'll come in for a fight. Most important, BE PATIANT!!! Good luck!!!