PDA

View Full Version : Was it worth the wait?

The Dawg
10-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Bear, Does, Moose. Shot em’ before.

But the Mulie buck had always eluded me. Flicker of movement, gone. Bounding away white rear end. Glasses up too late. Think it’s a stump, and then it moves. 3 points in a 4-point season.

You know, the usual excuses.

Not this time.

My good friend Brett and I decided to head down to my mother in laws ranch just outside of Kamloops for the any buck season. Id been there a couple of times this year already in the 4-point season, and saw 2 shooters. See excuses above.

We arrived around noon on Friday and headed out shortly after changing into our gear. It was Brett’s first time being there, so there were many areas to show him. Within minutes, we had spotted a few dark spots in one of the many fields. Bino’s up! 4 does, 3 fawns… Not even a spike.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/glassing.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=20725)

Friday evening came and we went for a drive to the other end of the property. 6 more does. Seems to be par for the course now. Last time I was here, I saw over 70 deer in 3 days, half of which were bucks. After hyping this place up for a year to Brett and Mike (Moosinaround), now I cant even get a spike to show.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/glassing1.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=20726)

Saturday morning- same as yesterday. Up to almost 35 deer now without an inch of antler. Its almost like they have a calendar saying “Season open, lets go to Mexico”
I really should look into a migration southward at this time. Check for bucks hiding under a sombrero.

Anyways…. Saturday around 430pm we decide to gear up and hop on the quad. Haven’t shown him this side of the property yet, so I’ll take him there. Nothing to lose except daylight.

We jump off the quad after riding for 5 minutes or so to each walk a low ridgeline. Him on one side, me on the other. Beds, rubs, poop, game trails. No animals. I look towards Brett to give a ‘F IT’ look and notice a large moving animal about 500 yards away on a hillside.

I throw up the bino’s to have a look and see that it’s a he. And what a he.

I immediately whisper-shout to Brett to get down and motion that there’s a large buck on the hill behind him.

With the friendship we have, of course he thinks I am messing with him and starts chuckling. After a second or two, he believes me and hits the dirt. Perhaps it was the panicked look on my face that did it.

(FYI, tears DO work when someone doesn’t believe you J)

He crouch-walks up the hill to me and glasses the buck. Ok, now he realizes the game is on.

Brett lays down and begins filming (which I found out after). I begin to try and close to within a comfortable shooting distance.

Thump, thump, crunch, snap. Do I ALWAYS make this much noise when I walk??!!
Every step I seemed to be making more noise than the last.

I close up the ridge to within 200 yards of where I last saw him. Brett hasn’t yelled that he’s gone yet, so I think he’s still there. I can just make out the tips of his antlers in the grass, so yep…still there and bedded down now.

Wind is good, noise is down. Things are going good. Flicker of movement on the hillside across from the buck. A doe and 3 more smaller bucks. Great. I think I am about to be busted, but they don’t even notice. Thump, crack, snap! Was I seriously born with an elephant walk?!

The last few yards up the hill were the worst. . As I crested to within a good sightline, I could see he was still there.

Heart racing, lump in the throat, trying to control the breathing…inhale, exhale…inhale, exhale.

Lower crosshairs onto him slowly…He drops.

I hear the shot from the 338 Win Mag propel the 225g TTSX towards him.

Does it always happen like that? The buck on the ground before you hear the shot?

I couldn’t believe it. My first buck was down and he was bigger than I thought or even hoped for. I waved for Brett to come over. I said my thank yous to this beautiful animal and waited for Brett.

Pictures taken and guts removed, it took the two of us to lift one side and drag it onto the quad. Back to the barn, lifted with the tractor and skinned out and caped for the taxidermist.

I was asked, “So, was your first buck worth the wait?”

Oh hell ya.

Thanks to Brett for all the help, laughs and yes, even the unmentionable smells ;)

Thanks Brother!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/wide21.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=20728)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/brettquad.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=20729)

killman
10-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Nice work guy's, nice buck you got there. Congrats!

Where is the vid?

PS You just had to sit on it didn't you.....:)

Bowzone_Mikey
10-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Nice Mulie ....

Congrats man
Nice shapely wide rack

Fisher-Dude
10-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Yep. Well worth the wait! Congrats on the buck!

rifleman
10-17-2010, 07:39 PM
thats a great buck 1st or 20th. congrats

tuffteddyb
10-17-2010, 07:39 PM
BEAUTIFUL BUCK!!! CONGRATS!
makes you feel pretty good when you drop the first of a certain critter you been after for A long time.know your feelings cuz i dropped my first moose this year.

kennyj
10-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Congratulations on your first buck! He's a beauty.Great story too.
kenny

M.Dean
10-17-2010, 07:46 PM
He looks real nice and wide, a keeper in anyone's book! Great story and photo's, congrats to you and your partner!!!

boxhitch
10-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Nice buck, good effort

Good on ya fir sitting on him

nano
10-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Congrats man!

BlacktailStalker
10-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Well worth the wait, good buck !

Brett
10-17-2010, 08:05 PM
He looks real nice and wide, a keeper in anyone's book! Great story and photo's, congrats to you and your partner!!!
easy on the partner!:mrgreen:

It was a great adventure and I was glad to be there for it, video this week, maybe a couple days.

Steve I can produce the extra "scent" anytime!

....and yes, you were born with the feet of an elephant!:neutral:

Thanks

todbartell
10-17-2010, 08:16 PM
nice buck, congrats!

BimmerBob
10-17-2010, 08:21 PM
Nice buck "elephant walker" lol! It always amazes me when I am trying to be stealthy walking and worrying about every twig snap and I seem to step on every one that is on the chosen path. Great story and great buck, a beauty mulie!

shawnwells
10-17-2010, 08:36 PM
super buck...congats...pretty wide...

lightmag
10-17-2010, 08:41 PM
NIce Buck!! glad it worked out, a beauty too start things off with, congrats.

Caveman
10-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Nice buck for sure, Congrats guys!

born2hunt
10-17-2010, 08:46 PM
no matter how many anyones shot thats a keeper:) good job guys

Brian011
10-17-2010, 08:48 PM
nice buck!

elkdom
10-17-2010, 08:48 PM
real nice muley buck!:grin:

but he looks more like he was SQUISHED!:shock:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol

moosinaround
10-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Well, all I can say is "Work Sucks"!!!!!! Man wish I could have been there Dawg!! That is a beauty buck, long time coming for sure, and yes well worth the wait!! Congrats to you guys, for gettin er done in the Loops!! Moosin

The Dawg
10-18-2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks all.

I deboned him and took him to the butcher to be made into smokies, salami, sausage and pepperoni. Saved the backstraps :)

110 lbs of deboned meat too.

Cant wait for the finished shoulder mount too...should be back in time for my birthday :D

Phil
10-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Great story and pics! Congrats!

Kevin21
10-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Nick buck and story dude and yes we inherited the "elephant walk " from dad ;) I had the same problem with my moose last year

chainsaw
10-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Thata boy Steve nice buck he will look good on the wall. Give me a week ill show ya mine, well give me to the end of Nov any way. Way to go bro.

newhunterette
10-19-2010, 02:40 PM
way to bring one down Steve, I know how hard and how long you have wited for this buck - congratulations

can't wait to see the mount when its completed

packrat
10-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Gives some of us Hope!!
Thanks.

Brew
10-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Great first buck. good for you

moosinaround
10-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Jim Shockey look out, Brett is on the rise!! A masterful peice of cinematograpgy!! That has a golden globe written all over it!! Nice show boys!! Whats with the cursing Dawg?? You kiss your mother with that potty mouth??!!:wink: Moosin

Th0r
10-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Nice buck! From the guy who bought your 10-22 a few years ago.:mrgreen:

bruin
10-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Right on, great looking buck

Laurence_Erickson
10-19-2010, 10:06 PM
awesome first deer congrats guys . Some of tha farm hunting can be pretty good .

ianwuzhere
10-19-2010, 11:14 PM
ya nice buck-will look grrreat on the wall! I love hunting the open country sometimes!

Kevin21
10-20-2010, 07:14 AM
Jim Shockey look out, Brett is on the rise!! A masterful peice of cinematograpgy!! That has a golden globe written all over it!! Nice show boys!! Whats with the cursing Dawg?? You kiss your mother with that potty mouth??!!:wink: Moosin

wheres the vid pls ?

moosinaround
10-20-2010, 07:30 AM
Sorry Dawg, was a good vid. I understand the whole privacy thing! Moosin

Sangstercraft
10-20-2010, 07:36 AM
Nice! what a beauty.

BCrams
10-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Really nice looking buck!!! I'd say it was worth it considering you pulled the trigger on him!!

scoot
10-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Sweet man, Congrats. A nice wide buck for sure.