PDA

View Full Version : Caribou in Salmon River valley????

emerson
10-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Maybe I'm crazy; but I'm rethinking the "elk" rack that I saw leaving my area 5 weeks ago. I've lived in the NWT and I would almost swear that the headgear I saw leaving actually looked like a caribou. Anyone else run across anything like this. How do elk and caribou tracks compare?

Bowzone_Mikey
10-17-2010, 08:10 PM
was it attached to an animal ????or was it on a truck ???

emerson
10-17-2010, 08:39 PM
An animal whose bedding area, while only 30 yards away, took me 15 min to find a non swimming path to.

shawnwells
10-17-2010, 08:40 PM
I saw a caribou in mcgregor right on the railway tracks about 10 years ago...so i guess its possible...

pnbrock
10-17-2010, 08:53 PM
i also saw a caribou in the mcreager area ran down the road in front of me and wouldnt move of the road,.

steelheadSABO
10-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Yep caribou in the caribou imagine that there around but very few there like the blacktail of the caribou

Bowzone_Mikey
10-17-2010, 09:09 PM
the Woodland caribou home range are the east portion of the province ... the Macgregor is smack in the middle of it ... Salmon Valley is a bit west of their main range ... but anything is possible ... 10 years ago I am told there was no elk anywhere around here

emerson
01-03-2011, 07:40 PM
I have rethought this and am convinced I saw a caribou. There were at least half a dozen beds within 50 yards and LOTS of tracks along the river bottom in the area. How do caribou and elk tracks compare, anyone?

elkdom
01-03-2011, 07:45 PM
I have rethought this and am convinced I saw a caribou. There were at least half a dozen beds within 50 yards and LOTS of tracks along the river bottom in the area. How do caribou and elk tracks compare, anyone?

caribou tracks are almost a perfect half moon shape () ,

elk tracks will be thicker at the back and tend to narrow and taper to the front

caribou tracks look very much like cattle imprints to the novice sign reader!

emerson
01-03-2011, 08:18 PM
caribou tracks are almost a perfect half moon shape () ,

elk tracks will be thicker at the back and tend to narrow and taper to the front

caribou tracks look very much like cattle imprints to the novice sign reader!
Thanks, I'll try to remember that for the 2011 installment.

BCrams
01-04-2011, 12:24 AM
If it was the Salmon River area .... especially along the river ..... it was probably a bull elk you saw and the sign from elk.

More than a few elk winter along the Salmon north of town and I have seen over 100 in fields by the river from the helicopter.

Anything is possible with a wayward caribou from the McGregors but I highly doubt it from what I know from living / working here.

emerson
01-04-2011, 12:36 PM
I know what you are saying about it probably being elk. This was in late September. I still see the rack in my head and re-looking at the mental picture still makes me think caribou, but without photo proof it's hard to believe.

BCrams
01-04-2011, 01:37 PM
I'll put my money down on elk at the end of September ;)

Hunted them up that way a few times.

Ride
01-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Anythings possible, but it sounds like elk to me........i did find an old caribou shed once on a hilltop just south of PG in the Baldy mtn area which i thought was kinda neat.

CanuckShooter
01-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Anythings possible, but it sounds like elk to me........i did find an old caribou shed once on a hilltop just south of PG in the Baldy mtn area which i thought was kinda neat.

Some bou's lived on George Mtn at one time.....:-D...there are a few that hang out just up the Fraser from Salmon Valley, so wouldn't be surprised if they passed thru once in awhile.

Riverratz
01-04-2011, 04:35 PM
About ten years ago, I used to occasionally see a small herd of caribou (15-20) right along Hwy. 16 E., about 10-15 km. PG side of Purden, and of course, there are caribou east of Purden in 7-05, and also in 7-16/7-23.

Salmon Valley is not very far away for wandering 'bou, so it's possible. This is the first I've heard of 'bou in SV area, but there's no reason why they couldn't be wandering through there.

Maybe the wolves are pushing them out of their usual habitats, but we probably shouldn't visit that topic AGAIN !!!!

curt
01-05-2011, 01:53 PM
I saw a caribou in mcgregor right on the railway tracks about 10 years ago...so i guess its possible...

I have seen caribou in region 706/707 in fact there is s spot Deactivated really good to keep people put to protect s herd of woodland caribou so they are around for sure

ThinAir
01-05-2011, 02:11 PM
I agree .... probably an elk. But you never know, we once had a mountain goat roaming around PG too!

BCrams
01-05-2011, 02:24 PM
I agree .... probably an elk. But you never know, we once had a mountain goat roaming around PG too!

You must have been in the kids section at the library when the goat showed up :-D

ThinAir
01-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Hey, I was 12 or 13... I still couldn't read. I defiantly wasn't at the library!:mrgreen:

Gauge
01-05-2011, 08:13 PM
buddies grandfather told me, that years ago ( 60 + ) he used to hunt cariboo in salmon valley.... guess there wasnt much for moose back then from stories he tells us ... have seen cariboo out parsnip river myself only 100 km north of there ......?