PDA

View Full Version : Spike Fork Bull Regulations

RBooth
10-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Hey Guys,
I have a question regarding spike-fork bull moose and what is stated in the regulations. I've seen a Bull moose that is 2x9. This occured by him breaking off his paddle and it healed over somewhat deformed, leaving 2 tines. From reading the regulations all I can determine is that if you count 2 on one side, age and size of the other paddle does not matter. This is obviously a mature bull moose but it does lie within the regulations of a "Spike-Fork Bull Moose" from my readings."

From the Synopsis:
Moose - Spike-fork Bull - means a bull moose having no more than two tines on one antler. (Includes tines on main anlter and brow palms.) Does not include a calf.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone have confirmation on this matter from a Conservation Office?

Thanks,
Ryan

SHAKER
10-16-2010, 11:06 PM
Like I've been told by CO's..... We enforce to the letter of the law.... In the same chat I've been told "don't push it". If it meets criteria then shoot if not then let it walk. It aint worth loos'n a licence over on a technicality IMO.

RBooth
10-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Agreed, but there's no real intent stated with the regulations of a spike fork bull. Is it meant for immature bull moose or is it meant for spike-fork bulls, including the kind I spoke of above? If there was some kind of intent stated it would be easy to determine if it was in fact 'pushing it' by plugging him.

Bowzone_Mikey
10-16-2010, 11:13 PM
If its obvious that that you didnt bust the antler to make it a 2 point ... then its legal .... if the break is fresh ... then if you ever run into a CO then some questions might be raised

the intent is spike fork bulls as it states in the regulations ....
they are called Immys because thats what typically they are ....
I cut my LEH this year on a 3x4 Immy .... I am convinced that it was a 1.5 year old as I am convinced it was the same cow/calf I seen last year .... this bull was hanging off the cow ... yet no other bulls were at that point yet ... I could hear the Cow and bull "talking"

The Cow was massive in size and would be a Book Cow ;)

Butchering it up all the meat is tender ... even the rib and neck ... tells me that the bull was a young-one

RBooth
10-16-2010, 11:14 PM
It's an obvious natural break that was healed over long ago so there's definately no problem there. Did you happen to hear that from a CO Mikey?

Bowzone_Mikey
10-16-2010, 11:21 PM
It's an obvious natural break that was healed over long ago so there's definately no problem there. Did you happen to hear that from a CO Mikey?

Yes second hand from guy I work with whos Brother is a CO around Vernon/Kelowna area (I think thats the area)

RBooth
10-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Ed Sykes possibly? I've heard second hand from a friend that he talked to Ed and he said that this scenario is legal.
Thanks a lot for the opinions and information so far guys :)

Bowzone_Mikey
10-16-2010, 11:34 PM
No the guys name is Smith .... Once again I am not certain where is Based out of .... I thought it may be OK somewhere ...Guy I work with and I had this same conversation last year when I had general tag ... he called his brother and asked

RBooth
10-16-2010, 11:36 PM
I've been trying to get a response from a CO through emailing the general CO email address but they don't seem to respond to it. I'd like to know for sure in case I bump into him again, I'd hate to pass him up and find out it is perfectly legal :)

mark
10-17-2010, 07:48 PM
The bull is positively legal!
spike or fork on 1 side=boom!

Fisher-Dude
10-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Crack cap on that bull! He's legal.

I once saw a 1 x 10 that got into the willows before the crosshairs got on him. 6" rounded off stump on the left side...

CO Hoyer at the game check later that day says "Too bad you didn't get him, that was a nice, big, legal bull" after I shared my story.

M.Dean
10-17-2010, 08:02 PM
I think if the bull was standing in some thick brush and all's you could see was two points then nobody could say too much. So, if you were stopped by the CO's and explained that only one side was visible, the legal side there's not really a lot they could say.

J_T
10-18-2010, 05:42 AM
So does a 1 x 4 elk meet the requirement of spike bull?

BCBRAD
10-18-2010, 05:54 AM
OK, in the case of a yearling 3x3. You shoot one that displays 2x3 and when you walk up to it it has evidence of a tine knocked off. this could have been shot off by a previous hunter, by you, by accident etc. But in any case the tine is missing, will you get your ba*** broke for this when the animal in question meets the intent of the regulation, that been a none breeder?

Stone Sheep Steve
10-18-2010, 08:56 AM
OK, in the case of a yearling 3x3. You shoot one that displays 2x3 and when you walk up to it it has evidence of a tine knocked off. this could have been shot off by a previous hunter, by you, by accident etc. But in any case the tine is missing, will you get your ba*** broke for this when the animal in question meets the intent of the regulation, that been a none breeder?

As long as there's no hacksaw marks you should be fine.

SSS

boxhitch
10-18-2010, 08:58 AM
There is no intent spelled out in the regulations. They used to describe an immature bull, but that has been dropped.
Now, the intent is only that the animal matches the tine count for the season.
What is there can be counted, what was there cannot.
But better be able to back up the story of when the extra tine went missing.

RBooth
10-24-2010, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the discussion guys! I haven't seen him again unfortunately! Hopefully someone tags him :)

Fisher-Dude
10-24-2010, 05:47 AM
So does a 1 x 4 elk meet the requirement of spike bull?

Interestingly, no. The spike elk definition requires BOTH sides to be spikes.

Elk - Spike bull - means a bull elk having antlers that are composed of a main beam from which there are no bony projections more than 2.5 cm in length.

This same definition applies to spike deer too. Both sides must be spikes.