PDA

View Full Version : The bear who thought I was a deer...RIP

springpin
10-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Today was an interesting day...

Yesterday I go to where I had shot a Mulie last year, and bumped a monster. I never got to count points, never had a chance. All I saw was ass and a wide rack.
Today, I was to take out a buddy of mine for his first day of hunting. So we meet at my house @ 5:30, go get a coffee then head out to where I saw the Mulie yesterday, go in with headlamps and sit and wait....nothing.
So we decided to move on, next spot...sit for a while...nothing. Ok, lets go to a spot I know has a few whitetail. Go for a short drive, park the truck and start walking. We walked a short distance and seen some big fresh cat tracks...Great..won't be to much here, but it's a beauty day for a walk. After about a km there's a beaver pond, so we watched the beavers for a couple mins(I like beavers). We keep on walking for about another 1/2 km to a nice landing with some good brush, that i've seen bucks in. I pull out my grunt tube and give 2 short grunts, nothing...Oh well I said to my bud, not today....we start walking back. Not to far from where I gave 2 grunts, something caught my eye, and it was coming in quick, I turned my head, and holy shit!!! Black bear B-lining towards us. I tell my buddy "Don't move". Put the cross hair on him(the bear) and let the Finnwolf toss a bullet him. Bit of a panicked shot(hit him in the front right leg), the bear changed direction, Throw another bullet at him on the move, right in the boiler room...he goes down in a boggy spot(knee deep water).. Yup Got wet getting him out after cutting my tag..sorry no pictures but was an interesting day....the bear was a boar, a touch over 5 ft nose to tail. My buddy helped get the bear out, and said...Well, not what I expected, but when can we go again...

So I would assume I grunted the bear in, as he seemed healthy, good weight, beautiful bear...gonna be tasty.

Springpin

shawnwells
10-16-2010, 07:51 PM
whew exciting one! good for you..congrats on cutting the tag

Shooter Jr.
10-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Sounds exciting, Never seen a bear come in to a grunt but have seen them come running for a fawn :mrgreen:

upcomer
10-16-2010, 11:54 PM
way to be quick on your feet

cheers

vortex hunter
10-17-2010, 12:32 AM
right on dude I like beaver also lol

Schmaus
10-17-2010, 01:08 AM
how far was the bear when you first shot?

springpin
10-17-2010, 05:36 PM
25-30 feet i'm guessing.