PDA

View Full Version : first archery deer...what an experience

Deer Sausage
10-16-2010, 12:39 AM
well today i got a little yearling whitetail with my new bow...i just started bowhunting this year buying the bow in the spring and practicing hard all spring and summer. i pruned out and set four good tree stand locations (in an area i have rifle hunted for whitetails before) this spring when i could still clearly see the sign from last fall. ive sat a fair bit without seeing a lot in the early archery season and a bit lately. today two twin yearlings came down to the water for a drink and on this day that was just under me as i was there. the deer were small but i wasnt about to say no to a chance to pop my cherry. the amazing thing is i was totally panicked! archery is a lot harder than rifle shooting and being so near to the deer is very stressful..they were only about 16 yds..my heart was pounding and i was a little shaky...normally(rifle) i am as cool as a cucumber...i let my arrow go..i wasnt sure whether i had made the shot or not..i waited a few minutes and slowly followed the trail up...my experience with rifle shot deer is dead inside ten feet so 120 yds of faint blood was a tricky follow...i worried that maybe i had fluffed the shot and that was not a good feeling...it turns out i was ok it was a good shot..one lung as i was way up high over the deer when i shot...unlike rifle shot at usual distances exit hole was in the bottom which is i guess easy to imagine but surprised me today when i saw it. i love rifle hunting but i have to tell you the archery experience was much more intense...i look forward to trying it again next year and learning more so i can work towards some bigger deer. i learned a lot from reading the forums and a special thanks to bowzone mikey for personally answering some questions when i was selecting a bow and arrows. 60 lb black ice with 125 gr silverflames shot out of a tree saddle.also notable used a carter backstrap release which is a back tension release and was a hell of a thing to get used to in the beginnning(lost a few arrows but never punched myself in the nose!!) but i eventually got used to it. two rifle mulies already tagged out and im done for this year! sausage is already back..im gonna have one and a beer!
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy1/deersausage/ryanarcheryfirst.jpg

The Hermit
10-16-2010, 01:03 AM
Way to go on your first archery kill! I really like the up close and personal part and the silent but deadly hole the arrows make! Congrats!

Ambush
10-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Congratulations!! Amazing how "just a doe" can provde a seasoned hunter with a heart pounding experience.

Everything you have descibed is why my guns haven't seen the light of day for a long time.

PS: That's a nicely posed picture.

ydouask
10-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Congratulations on your bow kill. That up close and personal sure ups the adrenaline level, eh?

tomahawk
10-16-2010, 09:00 AM
Congrats, you now have tasted the sweetest reward any hunter can experience with any method of hunting!!

Bow Walker
10-16-2010, 09:11 AM
The only way it gets better is if you do like Gatehouse did once - take an animal with a spear.

Congratulations and welcome to the "Brotherhood" (and Sisterhood) of bow hunting. It is one helluva rush, that's for certain. That doe will taste better than any rifle kill you've made!

Ruger4
10-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Congrats !! good eats a comin !!

lnelson
10-16-2010, 09:14 AM
It really is a much more personal and in my opinion satisfying experience than a rifle kill. The end is the same but the need to be so much closer makes me feel like I earned it and the animal had a chance too. Welcome to the club!

greybark
10-20-2010, 07:44 PM
:-D Hey Deer Sausage great job on your first Bow harvest . The thrill of your archery harvest will persist and encourage pushing yourself further in your archery endeavor . Good luck
Cheers.
PS. Great photo .

killman
10-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Congrats. I can't wait to have the same opportunity.

kyleklassen
10-20-2010, 07:50 PM
awesome....have a beer and sausie for me....k.k....

jrjonesy
10-20-2010, 08:37 PM
Congrats! ....and the great thing is you'll find every bow kill after this one just as exciting!

IslandHunterBXL
10-20-2010, 09:27 PM
The only way it gets better is if you do like Gatehouse did once - take an animal with a spear.

Congratulations and welcome to the "Brotherhood" (and Sisterhood) of bow hunting. It is one helluva rush, that's for certain. That doe will taste better than any rifle kill you've made!
iv always wanted to spear hunt. thought it was illegal though??

GRIZZEZE
10-20-2010, 09:43 PM
congrats on the first archery kill. It is an amazing thrill and every time I get a chance with the bow it's the same feeling.

bruin
10-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Right on! Nothing like the stick and string experience

Derp
10-21-2010, 10:04 AM
congrats on your first!