PDA

View Full Version : first bow kill

Tank
05-16-2006, 09:34 AM
I was out hunting grizz with" Wiley Coyote" and my dad on saturday, north-east of PG. It was a pretty slow day until we found an old de-activated logging road to walk in on.
It was nice and green, and the number of trees that have fallen across the trail ensured that there was no quad access at all, and it looked like it had been quite a while since anyone had ventured down that way. The old road went about a mile back into a clear-cut that looked perfect for bears. We only saw a couple of bear dumps by the time we had reached the end and were a bit dissapointed considering how great the place looked for bears. We were just finishing glassing the back of the block and getting ready to hike out when a bear popped his head out about 60 yrds ahead of us! He wasn't huge, but was nice chocolate colour with a grey under coat. He looked very dark when facing towards us, but when the sun was on him and he turned away from us he looked almost blonde. I had my bow with me so I tip-toed into about 30 yrds (my self-imposed limit for the shot). I've never tagged anything with a bow before, let alone a bear so my heart was pumpin and my hands were shaking....I almost had a hard time getting a reading with my range finder! As soon as he stepped into the open broad side, slightly quartering away, I let loose with an arrow. It was a little forward of where I was trying to hit but it fully penetrated his right shoulder, both lungs, and exited through the base of his neck, sticking into the dirt on the far side. He let out a "whoosh" sound and spun around bitting his shoulder while I stood as still as I could. The bear turned and ran into the scrub behind him and piled up after only 20 yrds. He was down in less than 5 seconds after the hit and expired only a few seconds later. I was quite impressed with the lethality of the bow and arrow! We were a ways back from the truck and had video camera with us, but no digital....so pics were taken after the pack-out to the truck.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSCN8002.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSCN7996.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSCN7998.JPG

Elkhound
05-16-2006, 09:57 AM
Nice job Tank, any animal taken with a bow is a great animal. What type of broadhead? weight?

mtnmax
05-16-2006, 10:00 AM
Awsome job!!!
Can't wait to try my bow this fall.
Man am I excited now!!!!

todbartell
05-16-2006, 10:01 AM
right on Tank, nice job!

BlacktailStalker
05-16-2006, 10:15 AM
Thats awesome !

Gateholio
05-16-2006, 10:19 AM
Great job Tank!!

Nice bear and a nice bow shot!!:-D

todbartell
05-16-2006, 10:21 AM
oh, btw, I thought a BOW ONLY season was needed in BC to be successful?

Tank proved me wrong ;)

Elkhound
05-16-2006, 10:23 AM
oh, btw, I thought a BOW ONLY season was needed in BC to be successful?

Tank proved me wrong ;)

:lol:Stir that pot Tod

Tank
05-16-2006, 10:32 AM
Thanks guys! I was using 85 grn Montec broad heads for this bear. I shoot a light arrow to gain extra speed at the 3D shoots (I am draw-length challenged:shock: ) and I maintain, more or less the same set-up for hunting. The older model bow I was using is only throwing arrows at around 255 fps, so I was very happy with the performance of the broadheads:p

Ronforca
05-16-2006, 10:35 AM
Good going tank.real nice looking Bear.

Brambles
05-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Great job on the bow kill.

cowboy-up69
05-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Awesome kill buddy. I cant wait for my first bow kill.

Bow Walker
05-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Nice bear Tank! I am suitably jealous! Sounds like a great tippy-toe job.

That is a fairly light setup for bear hunting. Usually people go for heavier arrows to get the maximum kinetic energy down-range. Good job though.

Dan.

Tank
05-16-2006, 11:03 AM
Nice bear Tank! I am suitably jealous! Sounds like a great tippy-toe job.

That is a fairly light setup for bear hunting. Usually people go for heavier arrows to get the maximum kinetic energy down-range. Good job though.

Dan.

I had been debating that for a while, but with the my draw length (28")and the equipment I was using I needed the light arrows to get a half-decent trajectory on the the 3D course. I was very comfortable with that set-up and happy with my scores so I decided to mimic it with my hunting arrows and keep the range fairly close. Using the montec broadheads definitely helped!

I have just upgraded my bow and should finally be able to sacrifice a bit of speed for added energy!

Walksalot
05-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Nice bear, well done.

swamper
05-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Nice job James. I don't know too many people that would have turned down that bear. Beautiful color. Suprised it wasn't hanging in the barn when I got home Sunday.
Congrats.

rollingrock
05-16-2006, 12:58 PM
that was such a good looking bear! but when you stalked in did the bear feel anything?

bsa30-06
05-16-2006, 03:34 PM
nice bear Tank,sounds like that was a very lethal shot.Congrats on the bear and an excellent shot.

Steeleco
05-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Nice looking bear, good to see more people having good luck. And with a pointy stick no less ;);) Congrats!!!

greybark
05-16-2006, 03:54 PM
:-D Well done Tank , Obviously your arrow speed was more than adequate . Heck speed don`t kill - Arrow placement does .
Congratulations !!!

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

3kills
05-16-2006, 10:39 PM
congrats on a nice bear tank..