PDA

View Full Version : Dogs left in truck while hunting

reach
10-14-2010, 11:51 PM
Anybody ever hear of anything bad happening to dogs that were left in the truck on a logging road while the owner was out hunting on foot? Do you take any special precautions to ensure the dogs are OK?

willydog
10-15-2010, 06:42 AM
I do it with my dog all the time, just leave the windows down a crack and never had a problem besides the seat getting rained on a little.I usually just park right on the side of a mainline aswell.The longest i have been gone is 3-4 hrs in one spot.

hope that helps Willydog!

Wood butcher
10-15-2010, 06:49 AM
I'm more worried about what the dog is going to do to my truck after not taking her with me.

trigger
10-15-2010, 06:59 AM
my dog is under the canopy when im out hunting. He just sits there and listens. its pretty funny actually. Ive wathed him from a desitant and he deffinetly recognizes a elk bugle

Rodd
10-15-2010, 07:47 AM
My Jack Russell comes with me most of the time, animals look at her like shes a rabbit or something, and takes the focus off of me... She has never spooked anything on me, and will not bark and stays within 25 yds most of the time hunting mice and squirrels for herself... Wonder if she needs a hunting licence for that, cuz shes a killer for sure. LOL

Kody94
10-15-2010, 07:55 AM
I used to leave my old hunting buddy in the back of the truck (in the canopy) while I'd go out for short hunts (up to a couple hours). If I was planning on doing a longer hike, he'd get left at home, or would come with.

Gun Dog
10-15-2010, 08:16 AM
No collars! You'd be surprised what they can hang up on. Never leave your keys in the truck since some dogs think it's funny to lock you out.

KodiakHntr
10-15-2010, 08:46 AM
I usually leave my lab under the canopy....No issues.

Although, a guy I used to work with did have the wolf/husky hybrid he tied to the bumper shot while he was away from his truck.

Brian011
10-15-2010, 11:24 AM
i've been leaving my lab for a couple hours at a time, the first time i could hear her barking for a while but then she just sleeps. i keep the window cracked and have a blanket for her to lay on and i tell her that when i get back we will go look for some grouse and she's been good. i might try putting her under the canopy next time and see how she likes that.

swampthing
10-15-2010, 05:38 PM
I started leavin my lab tied up in the back of the truck after he scared too many big bucks away. He hated it. I , at times was on the top of the mountain and could here him howling. I used to tie him in camp as well. It keeps the COs out as well as anyone else you dont need in your camp when your not there.

BlacktailStalker
10-15-2010, 06:08 PM
We left 5 hound pups in the dog box once... one of those days where it was late deer season but snow on the ground, kind of a 'combo' hunt.
We listened to their music @ 3,500' for over 5 hours :roll:

Never again. However they know better being older now but still...

OutWest
10-15-2010, 06:48 PM
No collars! You'd be surprised what they can hang up on. Never leave your keys in the truck since some dogs think it's funny to lock you out.

Very true!