PDA

View Full Version : Been a good season...

BromBones
10-14-2010, 10:51 PM
Started off with a fat berry black bear earlier on. Since then I've been hunting hard to get some meat in the freezer, but been having some bad luck as well as my share of those times when things don't turn out quite right and you go home empty handed.

Monday morning turned things around. I had hunted hard for the few days before and was worn out, so I rolled out of bed well after sun up, took a stroll up to my field with my 300 WSM, and here's a nice group of mule deer hanging around - whack of does, a couple 4x3 bucks, and a little spiker. The spiker went down to a 150 TTSX from my WSM.

Today after work, I hiked up the back 40 again to look for a calf moose or an immy. Did the loop around my place, and stumbled upon a beauty 2x3 bull moose standing in the poplars. One shot from the WSM/150 TTSX, and he hit the dirt stone dead.

Called up my brother & my dad, and they came out to lend a hand with the skinning and hanging. Shot him at 6:30, had him hung up by 8:00 tonight. I carved the tenderloins out of the little muley buck that's still hanging, we all came in and had a good feed of deer tenders, fried potatoes, and some Forty Creek whiskey.:-D

I just gotta say - with an empty freezer, finding that little meat buck and the young bull was pretty damn good. First time I can say I remember what it feels like to be a 10 year old kid who just shot his first calf moose. :mrgreen:

Sometimes you get those simple reminders of why you hunt in the first place. May be that you just scored the trophy of a lifetime, watched your son get his first grouse with your old .22, or something as simple as good meat in the freezer to tide you over for the winter. When it comes to hunting, there's just too much that can go right, if ya know what I mean.

Cheers & happy hunting.

blackbart
10-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Nothing nearly as good as yearling moose and deer meat. Good on ya for reminding us what it is all about. The belt on my freezer is pretty tight right now with some fine meat as well, which means lots of time to hunt without having to worry too much about cutting a tag.

The young moose that I had for dinner tonight is much better table fare than the ancient buck from last year. Antler wise is a much different story mind you:)

sawmill
10-15-2010, 04:05 AM
It`s been a great season for the wife and I,an elk each and we are going out this weekend to have a look around for a whitie and nail a nice dead larch I spotted the other day.The firewood pile is full but one more for insurance is good.Actually had to buy a second freezer so I`d have room for a deer,the 2 sons and grandkids will eat good this winter.The rest of our tags will go on the Christmas tree.
Yes,hunting is fantastic thing to be able to do,we are sure lucky to live here.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-15-2010, 04:13 AM
With an empty freezer and most of my hunting done for the yr, I can appreciate your post, BB.

Nothing like the feeling of having a full freezer and woodshed to make a guy feel relaxed with the approach of winter:).

SSS

swampthing
10-16-2010, 07:38 AM
I like how you sat "too much can go right" You nailed it right on the head.

ydouask
10-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Yes, life's essentials taken care of. Good to hear you have family nearby to share in the right stuff. Congrats.

Ambush
10-16-2010, 08:10 AM
Often we don't take the time to sit back and realize just how good life can be.
Jobs, bills, obligations, life's pressures, to much to do and too little time.

Good for you and thanks for reminding us to do the same.

BCLongshot
10-16-2010, 08:43 AM
Congratulations

Yap freezers full now and I'm going today to buy another 1.

My son, best friend and son/law have a group bull draw in November so we'll have 2 more swamp donkeys.

I think we'll leave the deer alone this year.

Cheers :wink:

curt
10-16-2010, 09:29 AM
good job now the pressure is off !!

sawmill
10-16-2010, 09:42 AM
With an empty freezer and most of my hunting done for the yr, I can appreciate your post, BB.

Nothing like the feeling of having a full freezer and woodshed to make a guy feel relaxed with the approach of winter:).

SSS
Hey Steve,get down here and tag a whitie,got a spare bed here and I`m a pretty good cook!

Ambush
10-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Hey Steve,get down here and tag a whitie,got a spare bed here and I`m a pretty good cook!
Are you trying to help a guy out or looking for a husband??:mrgreen:

BlacktailStalker
10-16-2010, 10:19 AM

:lol: !

TPB
10-16-2010, 11:42 AM

LOL! :mrgreen:

BromBones
10-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Man, I hate it when my thread ends with a twist of ghey. :icon_frow

Better go kill another bear :-D

hillclimber
10-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Man, I hate it when my thread ends with a twist of ghey. :icon_frow

Better go kill another bear :-D

post some pics!!! you make hunting sound so easy.

LeverActionJunkie
10-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Congrats thanks for sharing. One of the few posts that didn't need pics to bring me along.

I know exactly the feeling you mention.

Caveman
10-16-2010, 09:45 PM
too much that can go right,

I know what you mean. Just got back from my 2nd trip with my dad, this time with family and a couple good buddies. I now have an elk and shortly half a moose in the freezer. My son's first year hunting and he has an elk LEH. The freezers are full, the only deer that needs to fear is one that may dawn our wall. My son will learn more of the pursuit this year rather than to kill the first buck he sees. I will find him a buck that most would be proud of. This has already proven to be one of those years and hunting season still has almost two months to go

sawmill
10-17-2010, 08:17 AM
Hmmmm,that didn`t come out right did it?