PDA

View Full Version : Butcher in lower mainland?

Gateholio
10-14-2010, 06:40 PM
PG66 is looking for a moose butcher/sausage maker. Reccomendations?

ultramafic
10-14-2010, 07:37 PM
As far as a butcher goes... ill be watching this thread carefully since we are still hunting for one of those whom we believe is "good"

But the Sausage maker I do have a suggestion. If he is willing to travel to Maple Ridge the place is called A and K sausage. They make really good sausage for certain.

They are on River road in and around the 22200 block if I remember correctly.

He has quite a variety of sausage types too and all of them are good.

mike

pnbrock
10-14-2010, 07:39 PM
x2 ak sausage hes the man, old school german sausage maker.

Maxx
10-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Beltrame in Langley

1/2 slam
10-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Sumas meats

IPA
10-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Baltrame Meats x2.

BCLongshot
10-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Bring it to my place.

We'll crack the spirits, sharpen the butter knives, fire up the chainsaw and invite TB down.

ha ha ha

curt
10-14-2010, 10:03 PM
beltrame is good i knew some of the cutters there were from my old favorite meat store sanders in south langely but their closed now. I beleive penguin meats in whiterock cuts game too.

Camp Cook
10-14-2010, 10:15 PM
Sumas Meats located just north of Vye Rd on Marion between Yarrow and Abbotsford...

todbartell
10-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Bring it to my place.

We'll crack the spirits, sharpen the butter knives, fire up the chainsaw and invite TB down.

ha ha ha

dont forget the donuts buddy :wink:

rollingrock
10-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Phone them up before he drives there to make sure they're still taking orders. A lot of them have stopped taking more meat in as hunters have done so well this year.

vortex hunter
10-14-2010, 11:46 PM
P3 meats in north vancouver

Steeleco
10-15-2010, 07:40 AM
North Surrey Quality meats, 148th and 108th. Call them and make sure they have space!!

Camp Cook
10-15-2010, 06:46 PM
Sumas Meats are so busy that they are turning people away so make sure you call and check for space before you drive in to them...

abbyfireguy
10-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Weymouth Meats in Abby.. On the flats down by the Mission Bridge.

Camp Cook
10-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks I copied that one down... :D

Brew
10-15-2010, 08:42 PM
country meadow meats in pitt meadows. cutting and sausage has always been great

tackdriver
10-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Weymouth Meats in Abby.. On the flats down by the Mission Bridge.

x2 been taking game to larry for years great guy:-D

Dad and son
10-17-2010, 03:58 PM
In the past I have strongly recomended North Surry Meats. I now highly do not recomend them. I believe they have changed hands in the past year. I have taken 2 animals to them in 2010.
the problems I have had are:
they did not follow the order for types of meat cuts requested
they are extremely disorganized
they are now very seldom open with no set open hours
the butcher admitted he does not like eating meat and it shows

huntermike
11-25-2010, 02:38 PM
I used north surrey quality meats and had no complaints ,easy to deal with ,well cut and wrapped,in plastic bags first then brown paper,well labelled.Open 11-6 every day.

CHEERS HUNTERMIKE

DEVILKID
11-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Beltrame in Langley

every year!! :-D

Ubertuber
11-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Beltrame is the place to go.

Surrey Boy
11-25-2010, 04:22 PM
I keep hearing good stuff about Beltrame, but I know a couple of guys who use Ennis Meats and seem satisfied. My boss gets his cows butchered there.

Dad and son
11-26-2010, 02:05 AM
I used north surrey quality meats and had no complaints ,easy to deal with ,well cut and wrapped,in plastic bags first then brown paper,well labelled.Open 11-6 every day.

CHEERS HUNTERMIKE

I wonder if we both went to the same North Surrey Meats near 148 and 108th. I stand by all my complaints. Unless something has changed since mid September I had many problems in the spring and early sept 2010.

I also just remembered that for both my spring order and my fall moose they had the meat cut and ready to go but no idea what the cost was. I took my meat both times and waited about 2 weeks for them to call me with the cost which I put on my visa
For my spring bear they left one box behind in their freezer which I had to go back and get one week later
With my fall moose they could not find it in the freezer when i arrived to pick it up even though I was called that it was ready, so I had to come back next time to pick it up.
Probably the most frustrating was the inconsistent open and closed hours with no set time to be open or closed.
Maybe things have changed for HunterMike but certainly not worth the frustration for me after several years of having my meat cut there

scoutin1
02-12-2011, 03:05 PM
I just came from a very disappointing discussion with the new owner of North Surrey Quality meats located at 108th and 148th. I had been trying to track down the last of my deer that I brought to Graham, the old owner, in mid October 2010. I had received the majority of the meat in mid November but I was told the sausage would take a while longer. I was in no hurry and told him I would pick it up in a week.

The meat I did receive that day was cut absolutely horribly. The loin was cut into pieces (Why would you cut loin into chunks?) with no piece being the same size and the cuts were indiscriminately made with no rhyme or reason to them. The chops were absolutely the worst. Each chop had different depths varying from 1/4" to 1" along the length and near impossible to cook correctly. The meat still had the hard outside layer attached that occurs when you hang for too long. The pieces that were in the bottom of the box were frozen in about a 1/2" of water which I found unusual but didn't really put much thought into as this guy was supposedly running a safe government inspected shop . The meat tasted good but I only ate a small portion of it as the prospect of having to stew the rest so pissed me off that I put the rest in the freezer and forgot about it. I shared that meal with my girlfriend and my 85 year old mother. Knowing what I know now I would have heaved the entire lot in the garbage and not risked me and my family’s life by eating the meat.

I had to travel on business so I called at the beginning of December and left messages. No reply or they were not open. Messages were not returned over the holidays and I went to the shop in mid-January. The older lady who it turns out is Graham's mother took my information and did get back to me but the news was not good as there was no record with them of where the meat was. She said she would check into it some more. I told her that if the meat was lost then just tell me so but she felt that it could be straightened out. I left it with her and went away on business again and decided to follow up today as I had not heard from the Mother.

The straight goods, finally... On February 10th the shop was purchased by one of the employees. It appears the previous owner had a problem with recreational drug use and ran the shop into the ground and is nowhere to be found. Apparently, some of the wild meat that was processed by Graham had been hung for too long and was not good and in some instances the meat was returned and replaced with regular beef to compensate. Given that it was near a month before I received my meat and there is no guarantee that it didn't hang for too long I have decided to throw it all out. That this guy would have risked the health of me and my family is unconscionable. In addition, I am also really angry that the Mom and/or employees didn't call me and tell me that there was likelihood that the meat could be tainted through improper hanging or handling. I would much rather hear the truth and be safe.

The new owner seems nice enough but there is zero chance that I will be doing business with them again. Caveat emptor!

I wonder if we both went to the same North Surrey Meats near 148 and 108th. I stand by all my complaints. Unless something has changed since mid September I had many problems in the spring and early sept 2010.

I also just remembered that for both my spring order and my fall moose they had the meat cut and ready to go but no idea what the cost was. I took my meat both times and waited about 2 weeks for them to call me with the cost which I put on my visa
For my spring bear they left one box behind in their freezer which I had to go back and get one week later
With my fall moose they could not find it in the freezer when i arrived to pick it up even though I was called that it was ready, so I had to come back next time to pick it up.
Probably the most frustrating was the inconsistent open and closed hours with no set time to be open or closed.
Maybe things have changed for HunterMike but certainly not worth the frustration for me after several years of having my meat cut there

02-12-2011, 04:27 PM
In the past I have strongly recomended North Surry Meats. I now highly do not recomend them. I believe they have changed hands in the past year. I have taken 2 animals to them in 2010.

Used to use them all the time, previous owner was great, but after dropping off a deer this November I will not be using them again.
The place is filthy, if he doesn't have room in the cooler he just hangs the meat in the shop. Doesn't return calls and messed up our order.

I now use Country Meadow Meats, 18389 ford road in Pitt Meadows. They make good pepperoni.

f350ps
02-12-2011, 04:42 PM
I've used N.S. Quality Meats for a long time but vowed that I would never go back after the exact same thing happened to me as Scoutin had. When Tim owned it they did an excellent job but that changed really quick once Graham took over. I took a Deer to him in Nov. and commented to my partner when we left that this place won't last very much longer with him at the helm. We both suspected that he had some issues with either booze or dope cuz nobody can be that scattered. K

NitwiT
02-12-2011, 04:54 PM
heard some horror stories about ennis, and great things about beltram.

I'll take my meat to beltrame if/when I use a butcher!

Hunterguy
02-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Check out on the web the violations in regards to health inspector problems, some of the butchers mentioned here have a real long list of problems Pete the Meat at Beltrame is excellent, maybe a little more expensive but this guy is straight up to deal with, makes excellent sausage and a great place to buy steaks if you didnt fare well this hunting year.

Tikatack
02-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Pete is very good, but I think it's Kurt at Sumas who makes exceptional sausage. If I brought a big beast down from up north, I'd take it to Pete for cut and wrap, but for deer or bear, you simply can't beat Sumas sausage. It's awesome.

Deeboe
02-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Just dropped my frozen elk trims off at A & K (the german guy). This was a referral to me recently as well. BY FAR the cleanest meat cutting place i have ever seen. Was greeted with warm hospitality and i left feeling like i had nothing to worry about. Not sure if they butcher game meat or not but definitely do the peps and sausage. Real nice guy. If it turns out great i think i'll be returning there for awhile.

huntermike
02-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Wow after reading the previous posts about north surrey quality meats I guess i just got lucky and caught them on a good week. Hopefully the new owner can straighten things out and make go of it,as it seems that sometimes there is a shortage of butchers out there!
HUNTERMIKE

SHACK
02-13-2011, 04:23 PM
I used to be a big supporter of NSQM as well since I only live a short distance away, and I have been getting my stuff done there for near a decade, but when Graham took over, the first year was great, then last season, I had the same problem, waited near 6 weeks to get my meat. Oh he had it cut an wrapped, but I could not ever find a darn day that the doors were open to pick it up!
I dont know how the new owners are going to do, now that the store has gotten such a bad rep!

gameslayer
02-13-2011, 10:40 PM
Just dropped my frozen elk trims off at A & K (the german guy). This was a referral to me recently as well. BY FAR the cleanest meat cutting place i have ever seen. Was greeted with warm hospitality and i left feeling like i had nothing to worry about. Not sure if they butcher game meat or not but definitely do the peps and sausage. Real nice guy. If it turns out great i think i'll be returning there for awhile.

My buddies and I have been using AK for our sausage for years, does a great Job. He does not cut wild game but like you said the place is keep very clean. Seems like every time I am there he is scrubbing down the place.

Cbuck
02-18-2011, 05:39 PM
I delt with Graham now said to be the old owner of North surrey meats. I brought a bear and deer to him last season. Man he took so long like 6 weeks plus. Meat was ok once I got it but reading these posts I am beginnning to wonder if it was the same animal I dropped off?

I hope the new owner is as good as the guy before Graham.