PDA

View Full Version : Moose Rut Activity in Region 5

Gunsmoke
10-14-2010, 03:46 PM
I am heading up to Region 5, near Williams Lk., next week to hunt for LEH bull moose.

Any observations on rut activity? I am assuming that it might be done by then...or is it weather dependent to some degree?

thanks in advance,

srupp
10-14-2010, 10:25 PM
hmmm to the best of my knowledge it is dependent on light levels...but the activity may be dimminished by warmer weather..but still must progress so the calves born , are done so at the correct time...

This year the weather is warm..so far..and the moose harvest levels west of Williams Lake appear to be less than average...I have been informed that the rut was a bit early??? However rut doesnt just turn off in one day..it winds down untill the cows not bred come into a second estrus...

I would STILL call, cow call..and then be prepared to still hunt the inside of the edges of the timber JUST inside the the timber 15 yards or so...and specially the fingers that creep into narrow down the swamps and willow patches..bulls will also be back on food if not hooked up with a cow..if seeing a cow...keep watch she may still have a boyfriend nearby..

havnt seen many bulls in the past several weeks..

Steven

doubled
10-14-2010, 10:27 PM
I predict in two weeks you should be into the second rut. It is not as intense but should still have the guys hanging around. Good luck.

Machinist
10-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Brian all the rutting will be going on at the v-bull:mrgreen:

I am heading up to Region 5, near Williams Lk., next week to hunt for LEH bull moose.

Any observations on rut activity? I am assuming that it might be done by then...or is it weather dependent to some degree?

thanks in advance,

cariboobill
10-15-2010, 11:12 AM
The first rut is over, but still Bulls looking, not as much during the day, given the warm weather. However, the weather is starting to get cold and should help with your search. At this time of year moose cows are in pockets near good food sources and Bulls should move less, although with no snow yet, some are still up high or pushing the cows up there with them to keep them close and out of reach of other Bulls.

Second time I usually see more activity with Bulls searching in this region is Early Nov, depending on weather/snow.

Good luck

CB

Whonnock_3
10-16-2010, 08:05 PM
5-2B seemed to be a bust for me this last round. We saw one bull for a brief moment up behind Spout Lake, but he ran faster in those pines then we could. But with the cooler weather they should be moving around a bit more.

Cyrus
10-16-2010, 08:16 PM
During my draw Oct 1-14 saw 22 cow moose in 5-1......4 had calves.....1 big bull in the headlights....and one spike bull which I am eating almost daily.....I would say either I had the worst luck in the world seeing all those single cows or the rut was over.....Came across 2 cow moose and a calf this morning....The one cow (with calf) charged me and got within a couple hundred yards of me before turning and attacking the other cow....man did they crack heads....then a boxing match from there...Think they had been going at it before I saw them and the mama cow who was already in defense mode saw me as another threat. I backed away slowly and was close to firing a warning shot before she turned her anger towards the other cow......pretty cool spectacle to watch (from a distance) and wish I had a video camera....they were vicious!!