PDA

View Full Version : 8x42?

luckofthedraw
10-14-2010, 03:36 PM
I am new to this, and have been researching which bino's to beg the wife for for xmas. I thought I was stone set on a pair that I fell in love with. Nikon Monarch's.

http://www.binoculars.com/binoculars/bird-watching-binoculars/8x42monarchatb.cfm

I've read a ton of reviews on these, and found they are 5/5 on most forums. Until reading Casagrande's post on 10x 50 bino's I would have just purchased these.

Should I be looking for a better pair of nox's for hunting? The reason I was leaning towards 8x42 is for the smaller/lighter size.

Bow Walker
10-14-2010, 06:22 PM
10xwhatevers sometimes have a tendency to waver and wobble a bit because of the higher power of magnification. It really depends on the usage that you intend on putting the binos through.

Longer range glassing (upwards of 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile) would benefit from the 10 power, but shorter, up-close-and-personal glassing (less than 1/2 mile) could be done very nicely with the 8 power binos.

I personally would look for something in the 10x50 range. Something like the Vortex 10x50 Diamondbacks or the 10x56 Vultures. It also depends a lot on your budget...there are the 10x50 Vipers that retail for $670.00.....it's entirely up to you (and she-who-must-be-obeyed).

muledeercrazy
10-14-2010, 08:21 PM
you must be getting paid by vortex. seriously, i can see no other way you can religously recommend nothing but vortec optics everytime someone even mentions glass. :) I like my 10x40 leica's, but maybe you need the size up on the objective lense with the inferior glass in the vortex? I also like the 10 power because you have much better definition at any range, and in a high quality optic you do not need a 50+ objective, imo. They are nice, high quality or not. I would just make sure you factor in the weight. A good set of bino buddies goes a long way, but I like to hold my glasses one handed alot of the time and weight affects this. I would try to save up a few presents and find some used european optics on the optics exchange forum at cgn?

killman
10-14-2010, 08:27 PM
With the tine restriction regs we have I wouldn't by anything under a 10X. Just my opinion though. There are some great deals on the Vortex right now. I haven't looked through them but haven't heard much bad.

muledeercrazy
10-14-2010, 08:42 PM
yeah they are nice optics. i just know that with alot of my hunting purchases i have bought items like binos thinking i would be happy with a good product and good value. Then i end up wanting something better. I think vortex will be like that for alot of people. Good optics, great value.. But how will you feel selling it for 60 cents on the dollar of what you paid to get a set of swaros or leicas? Just make sure you are happy with a good product and wont want high end stuff before you buy the cheaper leupold, ellite bushnells, nikon, or ... vortex optics.

Elkaddict
10-14-2010, 10:23 PM
I would suggest you find a pair of 10X50s and try them out. You may well find they are too bulky for what you want to do. I think you will find your initial choice lighter, more compact, and handier to haul around. I've never used Nikon binos, but as you say they are well regarded, birders seem to be quite taken with them, and they usually know their glass. IMHO 8X42 is a really good "all rounder" for hunting.

coach
10-14-2010, 10:36 PM
I have a pair of Nikon Monarch's in 10x42. For the money, they have been a great purchase and they are considerably less expensive than the Vortex optics mentioned above.

Steeleco
10-14-2010, 10:46 PM
If you want to try on a pair of Monarch's in 10x42 you've welcome to drop by and try mine. There maybe better, but I'm not replacing mine any time soon.

Jagermeister
10-15-2010, 04:45 AM
If you want to try on a pair of Monarch's in 10x42 you've welcome to drop by and try mine. There maybe better, but I'm not replacing mine any time soon.Nikon Monarchs works for me too.

Casagrande
10-15-2010, 05:44 AM
Camerland in New York has some great prices on certain Vortex models. I would agree that the big three make better glass and I have looked through Swaro and Leica. Are they four times better? Not that I can see. I can't justify walking around the bush with $2000 dangling around my neck. That $1500 I saved just paid for my kid's hockey league fees for the next 3-4 years.

Steeleco
10-15-2010, 07:37 AM
One other thing, if you buy Nikon's from a retailer in the states, your 25 year warranty isn't any good up here. It can be very valuable, I just had mine replaced because the right eyepiece cracked. If I'd bought stateside, it would have been problematic.

I bought mine at binoculars Canada. The warranty replaced my 6 year old pair of Monarch's for these http://www.binocularscanada.com/eNet-cart/product.asp?pid=11671&cat=10
They are noticeably better glass than my first pair.

Bow Walker
10-15-2010, 08:57 AM
you must be getting paid by vortex. seriously, i can see no other way you can religously recommend nothing but vortec optics everytime someone even mentions glass. :) I like my 10x40 leica's, but maybe you need the size up on the objective lense with the inferior glass in the vortex? I also like the 10 power because you have much better definition at any range, and in a high quality optic you do not need a 50+ objective, imo. They are nice, high quality or not. I would just make sure you factor in the weight. A good set of bino buddies goes a long way, but I like to hold my glasses one handed alot of the time and weight affects this. I would try to save up a few presents and find some used european optics on the optics exchange forum at cgn?
What with today's prices for decent optics, Vortex fill the bill as far as quality, warranty, and price point are concerned. If you know I recommend Vortex, then you should also know the reason(s) why....and NO, I don't get paid for recommending them.:wink:

ratherbefishin
10-15-2010, 12:22 PM
I like 8x42-a bit more compact than the 10x50's and bigger than the smaller ones-just about right for hunting.And while yes,I would like to buy Canadian,spending$100 more on the same item for the privelege is a bit of a premium...

Steeleco
10-15-2010, 02:09 PM
I like 8x42-a bit more compact than the 10x50's and bigger than the smaller ones-just about right for hunting.And while yes,I would like to buy Canadian,spending$100 more on the same item for the privelege is a bit of a premium...

I don't disagree one bit, but I'm my case the need to use the warranty could have easily eaten up the $100 PDQ.

muledeercrazy
10-15-2010, 02:33 PM
What with today's prices for decent optics, Vortex fill the bill as far as quality, warranty, and price point are concerned. If you know I recommend Vortex, then you should also know the reason(s) why....and NO, I don't get paid for recommending them.:wink:

jesus! if you keep on about the god da**** vortex i might actually have to buy a pair for myself:) I have tried a couple different models and they do seem like a good quality and value. I am not yet convinced they are that far above par, but time will tell. I just bought a new sako finnlight, and was thinking of upgrading the ellite 4200 i have on it right now to a swaro. If i had to look at something in the vortex line-up that was around 3-10 or 3-15 what do you think? I would like to put it side by side with a z5 and see exactly how much difference there is for the extra bucks.

Vader
10-15-2010, 03:49 PM
I wrestled with this exact same thing when I was buying.. I opted for the 8x42 Monarchs because of light gathering and I probably couldn't get as far as the 10x42's could effectively see at first and last lite anyway. Anyhow, I wished I had opted for the 10x42's now. That little extra magnification makes a big difference in details at shootable yardages. I like my 8x42's and find they show excellent clarity for what I have used them for.. Just wished I had stuck with the wee bit more magnification. 10x50's are out for me, just too bulky.. I presently have been lent a set of 10x40 Zeiss. 1980's vintage but still have really good clarity. Proves the 10x theory. Would I spend 2000 on a high end pair, not without going into hock.

Ruger4
10-15-2010, 05:57 PM
www.24hourcampfire.com/binoculars.html (http://www.24hourcampfire.com/binoculars.html)

:mrgreen:

Bow Walker
10-15-2010, 06:11 PM
I own and use 8.5x50's, primarily for archery 3D shooting. They work well for hunting but I'd prefer the extra two power (10x42 or 50) for glassing across valleys and in lower light situations.

Go get your hands on a pair of whatever you're considering and make a "hands-on comparison". It's the only way to see what will work best for you.

Elkaddict
10-15-2010, 06:15 PM
I wrestled with this exact same thing when I was buying.. I opted for the 8x42 Monarchs because of light gathering and I probably couldn't get as far as the 10x42's could effectively see at first and last lite anyway. Anyhow, I wished I had opted for the 10x42's now. That little extra magnification makes a big difference in details at shootable yardages. I like my 8x42's and find they show excellent clarity for what I have used them for.. Just wished I had stuck with the wee bit more magnification. 10x50's are out for me, just too bulky.. I presently have been lent a set of 10x40 Zeiss. 1980's vintage but still have really good clarity. Proves the 10x theory. Would I spend 2000 on a high end pair, not without going into hock.

The question is,.... is the extra clarity you are noticing a result of the higher magnification or the premium glass you are now looking through?? My guess is the resolution of the Ziess optics is better than your Nikons and that is the main reason you are seeing more detail.

My hunting partner and I used to use identical make and model binoculars except for the fact that his were 8X and mine were 10X. We put them side by side in different situations. The detail seen differed very little between the two sets of glass. The 8X optics however were just a touch brighter and could be used just a little bit longer in fading light than the 10s.

luckofthedraw
10-15-2010, 06:46 PM
I think I'm sold. Their are better lens's out there, but the bang for your "buck", the Nikon's will be sufficiant....(especially in the wife's pocket book). Thanks for the help.

Now I need to deside to go with 8x42 or 10x42.

Steeleco
10-15-2010, 08:23 PM
When I bought mine way back, the owner of Binoculars Canada told me he sells 8 pairs of 10x for each pair of 8x. I asked him the same question you just did. I bought the 10x

Ruger4
10-16-2010, 07:19 AM
I think I'm sold. Their are better lens's out there, but the bang for your "buck", the Nikon's will be sufficiant....(especially in the wife's pocket book). Thanks for the help.

ask your wife :wink:

happyhunter
10-16-2010, 08:31 AM

10x42. I own a pair myself. I would never do without.

BimmerBob
10-16-2010, 10:54 AM

I went for years with a real cheap set of bino's but decided my eyes needed something better and after humming and hawwing for a long while I opter for 8x42 Vortex Diamondbacks, they are light, work quite well in low light and I am able to keep them steady enough to see good detail. I do not sheep hunt and my sight ranges are well within 500 yards so the extra magnification that the 10x would provide were not going to be enough that it would make a huge difference. Others suggested the 10x are harder to hold steady for glassing at long range and advised to go 8x and pick up a spotter for the long range stuff so that is what I went with.

My next purchase will be a nice spotting scope and while I would love to go Swaro I am probably going to opt for Vortex again just to save the $1000.

VanIsle
10-20-2010, 10:03 PM
I myself have been meaning to buy some new binos for some time now.
Last hunt in the pouring rain, and my cheap bushnells got fogged and were useless for days.
I have done a lot of research online including hunting and birding forums, and the consensus is that best value for your dollar spent, would probably be the Nikon Monarchs.
I have also been price shopping all the dealers in Canada, and right now Cabelas.ca has everyone beat by far.
http://cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&&section=1195&section2=1368&ID=4157
They are blowing out the old models at $229 for the 8x42 and $249 for the 10x42. That is about $100 cheaper than most, and they are Canadian so your Nikon Warranty is not a problem.
I ordered a pair of 10x42 just before I posted this :-D

Pete

boxhitch
10-20-2010, 10:35 PM
And if the newer models are better than the first gen., you are already behind one step. But you saved $100.

Now I need to deside to go with 8x42 or 10x42.You have to decide what you need for your type of hunting. In tight deer then the 8X will be better among the fir boughs. You'll need a spotting scope to count tines across most cut-blocks anyways.

I have a couple pair of good 10 x 42 binos , and just recently bought a pair of 8x 32. Now those are my go-to everyday users.

The Hermit
10-20-2010, 10:55 PM
You guys are killing me here... KOWA glass is second to none... I have available for you brand new last year's discontinued models at remarkable savings... they will blow the Nikon's and Vortex outta the running!

Product # Units MSRP USD Price in CAD

BINOCULARS
BD42-10-CAM DISCO 2 $685.00 $420.00
BD42-8-CAM DISCO 2 $655.00 $410.00
BD25-8-CAM DISCO 2 $320.00 $175.00

MuleyMadness
10-20-2010, 11:24 PM
I know I can look it up, but how's the warranty Hermit?

The Hermit
10-21-2010, 03:20 PM
I know I can look it up, but how's the warranty Hermit?

Sporting Optics Warranty

Warranty All Kowa Spotting Scopes, Binoculars, or other optics product sold through a United States or Canadian Authorized Kowa Dealer come with a Limited Lifetime Warranty*. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may have other rights which vary from state to state. Your Kowa Spotting Scope, binocular, or other optic is warranted to be free of defects in material and workmanship for the lifetime of the product. This Limited Lifetime Warranty* is an expression of our confidence in the materials and mechanical workmanship of our optical products and ensures many years of convenient, dependable service. In the event of a defect covered under this warranty, the Company, at its discretion, will repair or replace the product free of charge. This warranty does not cover damage or other defects caused by misuse or improper handling, installation or maintenance of the product. This warranty is subject to the following terms and limitations:

1. Warranty coverage begins on the date of purchase. In order for your warranty to be valid, the enclosed warranty card must be mailed to Kowa Optimed, Inc.

2. This warranty will be null and void if repairs are attempted on the product other than by Kowa or if the product has been subjected to misuse or improper handling, installation or maintenance.

3. This warranty is given exclusively by Kowa and not by the dealer from whom you purchased the product.

4. Wearing parts, such as but not limited to carrying straps, protective caps, rubber eyecups, rubber armoring, cases, batteries, etc. are not covered under this warranty.

*We guarantee the availability of parts and service 10 years after production of the product ends. After this 10 year period, parts and service are subject to availability.