PDA

View Full Version : How do you find a wolf?

Crys Shorty
10-14-2010, 09:15 AM
So I always assumed that you have to go to the yukon to see wolves, but apparently they're around! So I know to find deer it's wise to glass the edges of clearcuts, or sometimes walking right on a backroad cause they dont get their antlers caught in branches that way, but what sort of terrain are you likely to find wolves? Is it just a chance encounter anywhere while you're hunting for something else, or is there a certain type of area they may be? (I'm getting a little tired of pouding the backroads looking for deer)

elkdom
10-14-2010, 09:22 AM
dress yourself in a RED HOODED CAPE, RED HAT, carry a PICNIC BASKET,,,,

head over towards Granny's House,

most likely, you will encounter a WOLF!:shock:

lilhoss
10-14-2010, 09:33 AM
If you can find a kill ,dead critter with wolf sign around they'll be back.To come across one is by chance for sure.I've hunted in the Caribou region and lots of dead beef cattle in those areas.Wolves,coyotes,ravens,magpies,all draw in a crowd.Go where the game is and you'll find more wolves.The snow definately helps paint a clearer picture.

BlacktailStalker
10-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Leave that redbone you're looking for under a tree with a coon/cat/bear above him, anywhere in BC long enough and you'll see your wolf.

MB_Boy
10-14-2010, 09:45 AM
As far as terrain.......they are everywhere in this province, different elevations, topography, open country, thick forests etc. They will travel the valley bottoms, thick old growth rain forest on the coastline, they will be up in the alpine and yes.....even at grandma's house.:wink:

Once the snow starts to fly they will follow the migration of the ungulates to lower elevations/wintering areas; no sense in hangin' out in areas where there's no food.

As lilhoss said....if you can find a kill there is a chance they will be back. As for targetting them, you would be better to try calling them if you were wanting a poke at one. Most encounters are just a matter of chance and being in the right spot at the right time.

There are pred hunters on here that can give you more info. Another great resource would be http://predatorhuntcanada.ca/forum/index.php

When you are looking at packs they will have a 'territory'. They can/will move far and wide within this territory every day in search of prey. Again though, if you find a kill site that would be your best chance if you were going to sit and wait somewhere in hopes of seeing 1 or 14.

knighthunter
10-14-2010, 09:48 AM

Good one, your reply's always crack me up. LOL.

Or he caught keep looking for a deer whose antler's are caught up in the branches and wait there for a wolf to come along for an easy meal.

elkdom
10-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Good one, your reply's always crack me up. LOL.

Or he caught keep looking for a deer whose antler's are caught up in the branches and wait there for a wolf to come along for an easy meal.

ssssssssshhhhhhh!:oops:

thats how I,,, find BIG Deer,,,,:lol:

by sneakin up on them when they have their antlers twisted up and hung up in some bushes,,,,,,,,,,:mrgreen:

Steeleco
10-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Sorry Coonhound, but if you think finding deer is hard, forget looking for wolves!

elkdom
10-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Sorry Coonhound, but if you think finding deer is hard, forget looking for wolves!

lol,:lol:, one time on here(HBC),,, "Wolves ruined a guys Moose hunt"

subsequently!,,,, NO pictures of a WOLF or a MOOSE !:?

they are sneaky boogers!

tomahawk
10-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Wolves generally don't like populated area's. There are lots and lots of packs around PG where you live, get out away from the FSR's and into the backwoods and there around!

MB_Boy
10-14-2010, 10:07 AM
ssssssssshhhhhhh!

thats how I,,, find BIG Deer,,,,

by sneakin up on them when they have their antlers twisted up and hung up in some bushes,,,,,,,,,,:mrgreen:

Some great techinques as noted above for wolves and deer by elkdom et al.

Nothin' wrong with singing this song in the bush or pumping this song up on your speakers in your truck while road hunting. Just remember to keep your windows down. :wink:

This song almost always gets an answer.....wolves can't help but answer questions.......especially about the time. :wink: :tongue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spf1bvMQAsU

You'll have em howling in no time.

Crys Shorty
10-14-2010, 11:22 AM
Wow, so not my kinda music, dunno might count as an electronic call hahaha. The guys hair is just embaressing, like the guy from the head and shoulders commercials. Well thanks for the useful tipse more useful then others, if I get desperate I'll send the kids out with a goody basket and hope for the best. Thanks

LYKTOHUNT
10-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Hang out in region 5-2D

kishman
10-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Try using a Foxpro? Maybe a fawn in distress call may bring them in?? Works for 'yotes and Cats, maybe Wolves as well.

Drillbit
10-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Bait.

Cow Moose call.

bforce750
10-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Ask a trapper on this site if you could tag along.I'm sure you will get a wolf that way,from what ive seen there are some damb good critters posted on this site.

live-for-the-rut
10-14-2010, 08:31 PM

HaHaHaHa thats F#$%^G hillairious funny ass reply!Cheers:mrgreen:

swampthing
10-16-2010, 07:52 AM
Back in kamloops a common method was to drive the backroads after a fresh snow. Look for tracks just the same as a couger hunter. Go after them or look for a fresh kill to stake out. I was never successful at this but others were. A wintering ground area increases your odds. Most of my encounters are while hunting other game and just coming across them. I saw two in Ft St John last thursday while working. If I had of been hunting I would have drove away downwind, stalked into the area they were in and tried a predator call with a coyote howl mixed in.