PDA

View Full Version : Bison 7-57 A

Whisky Creek
10-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Looking for tips, trail info, normal snow levels, if any, for the hunt period of Nov15 to Nov 30 for zone A (Halfway). I'd like to pack in with horses but wondering what snow and feed is like in there at that time of year. Also, does the snow end up pushing the bison out with it, leaving snow not much of an issue? Any tips and info appreciated.
Thanks,
CLINT

bushmonkey4
10-13-2010, 11:19 PM
Your most likely going to see snow. It will vary on how much. The Horses will probably wonder pretty good at night looking for grass. As for the buffallo I'm sure they wont be to hard to find. But if your looking for a Big bull they tend to head high up on the mountains. there Normally by themselves up high. Your probably better off taking a Quad or sleds then just hiking. If there is alot of guys in there during that hunt they will have them buffallo spoked pretty good. So they can be hard to hunt if thats the case. Maybe try getting ahold of the outfitter before you head in there.

bridger
10-14-2010, 06:17 AM
I have hunted the halfway valley with horses quite a bit. in fact we used horses on my wife's bison hunt in there a few years ago but she had an october tag. it can be really cold in there in november like minus 20 etc just depending on the year. snow levels can vary from nil to 2 ft or more. to really use your horses and get away from the guys with quads and sleds you need to pack in a minimum of one day and more than likely two days. trail is easy (an old road) but long. due to overgrazing by the bison grass can be a problem that time of year. seems strange for such a big country, but you need to be prepared for it. creeks and the river will be frozen so you will have ice to contend with. If you get a big bison you will need probaby three horses to pack it out. the halfway is great horse country, but you are drawing to long odds planning a november hunt in there. if you luck out and the weather co operates fine if not you need to be really prepared for some severe conditons. My son had a tag in there years ago and we hunted four days with sleds at minus 40. good luck pm me if you want more info.