PDA

View Full Version : Junior Buckmeister gets 1st deer!!

Buckmeister
10-13-2010, 08:32 PM
Alarm went off at 6:00 am. We gathered our things together and by 6:30 am we were on the quad and headed up the hill. We are pretty fortunate that we have a semi-private mountain in our backyard with our own private access. Junior says that he is ok with taking a smaller buck now, before he was holding out for a 4 point muley.

We reach the top of the mountain where there is some small cut blocks. We check each one but don't see a thing. We start heading down and recheck the blocks we passed on the way up. Still nothing. As we leave the last block we pass an access road that goes to a landing that is lower down on the last block we passed. I decided we should check it out. We drive down the road and up to the little landing. From that landing you can look down the hill which has a very steep grade (50% plus?) or you can look up the hill (35% to 50% grade depending on slope). The cut is pretty bare and a deer would stand out like a sore thumb. I see nothing. I turn the quad around and start to head out of the landing. I take a lazy glance up at the tree line and I see the silhouette of a muley head and ears. I check with the binos, yup, it's a buck. I ask Junior if he wants it and he says yes.

Ok, now what? the deer is up a 35% grade and is about 250 yards away. I tell Junior we need to get closer. Junior has only fired a few rounds out of his gun ever at close target distances, so I want to get him closer. I drive down the road a short distance and park the quad behind a large bank and out of sight. We scramble up the bank and start to close the gap. We are making a heck of a noise and the deer is still in the same spot watching us. I look for a shooting rest but there isn't a decent one that offers a view of the deer and there is a small slash pile right in front of us. The deer is poised as if he is going to walk over the ridge away from us.

Then, to my utter amazement, he does a 180 degree turn and starts to walk into the cut!!! The deer does not seem to care about us being there. There is a good rest to the left of the slash pile and the deer is coming in from the right, so I tell Junior to get into position and to get steady and ready and I will try to get the buck to stop. I doe call to him, nothing. I buck grunt, he stops for a few seconds then carries on. I yell, "HEY", nothing. He finally stops on his own accord, full broadside at about 100 to 110 yards to check us out again. Junior takes the shot. The buck arches his back but does not run. He lowers his head, tap dances with his front hooves, and downturns his quivering tail. I know he is hit. I say to Junior, "Reload", and he does. The deer starts to walk forward, he goes about 15 feet and turns right back around and goes back to the spot where he was hit. I tell Junior to wait. The buck keels over and takes a few rolls down the hill, he does not get up and he is not moving. YES, cheers and high 5's.

We start to head up the hill, it's a good climb. We get within 30 feet of the buck and he comes to life. He tries to get up and go but he only succeeds in rolling further down the hill past us to our left. He comes to a stop and junior gets a good rest from a stump and puts a finishing shot through his neck behind the ears. NOW the buck is done and the work starts. It turns out that his 1st shot entered in low and missed the lungs and heart but did enough damage to put him down. The buck may have small headgear but his neck was swelled up and he had impressive weight and size.

For his 1st ever deer, he remained calm and collected and safe the whole time. I am very proud of him. He is happy with his buck and wants to go hunt Whitetail now. He may not look too happy in the pictures, but he hates smiling and being in photos. :wink: WAY TO GO SON!!!

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/o...01/buck001.jpg (http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo63/Buckmeister_01/buck001.jpg)
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/o...01/buck002.jpg (http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo63/Buckmeister_01/buck002.jpg)

snareman1234
10-13-2010, 08:38 PM
right on! looks like a pretty good sized body eh

TIKA 300
10-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Nice buck,good on ya dad for getting your son out there and his 1st buck.

Jelvis
10-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Bucks got a swollen neck already so that's a first for a photo ..
Jel .. Nice shooting and great buck .. Congratulations ...........

5 spike
10-13-2010, 09:33 PM
very nice buck. congrats to you guys body looks huge.

M.Dean
10-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Congrats to you and your son on a very successful hunt!!! The memory of that day will be with both for a life time!!!

JDR
10-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Big congrats to Junior on his first buck; way to go kiddo!! No kidding about the neck!

Doe
10-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Mine's the same......Why do they not wanna smile???!!!
Sheesh, he should be very proud, that is a great buck:) WTG kiddo

Shooter
10-13-2010, 09:46 PM
Woohoo WTG!

BimmerBob
10-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Way to go Junior! Nice story of the hunt Buckmeister, thanks for sharing!

s-dog
10-13-2010, 10:13 PM
Nice work jr,now you gotta get dad to take you out and get you confident for that longer range shot..practise makes perfect and that next one might me bigger and farther!Nice to see the next generation out there learning!

nano
10-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Congrats junior and sr Buckmeister!

Wood butcher
10-14-2010, 05:44 AM
Nice deer. WTG

Shed Hunter
10-14-2010, 03:46 PM
nice deer you got there

luckynuts
10-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Great story,

Congrats to Junior and Dad:cool: !!!! There's no feeling like it! A hunting partner for life is born. My boy can't wait for Nov 1st to roll around to cancel another of Dad's tags:-D.

W.

Buckmeister
10-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Thank you everyone!!!
The deer does have a large body, I was surprised at how hard it was to pull him DOWNHILL from where he was shot. I haven't scaled him or anything but I think he's heavier than the 5 point whitetail I got last year.

Junior is happy despite the photos and tonight we are heading off with some friends to go hunt Moose near Quesnel for a few days! :-D We might have a double header this week!

Gr8 white hunter
10-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Way to go Jr nice buck.

.308 NORMA
10-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Way to go Junior Buckmeister pappa is proud of you:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: