PDA

View Full Version : Finally Sucess!!

buckguy
10-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Finally on October 10 2010, all the hard work paid off. After 3 years I was able to put some meat in the freezer, much to my wife and son's delight. No more just taking the gun for a walk, now I get to call myself a hunter. :-D Definately not a big buck by any standards , but as my first deer he is perfect for me.

Ater being a solo hunter for a year and finding it kind of lonley and boring, I was looking to find a hunting partner. As luck would have it I finally found that partner. ( through no fault of my own....:) ) BSA 30 06 and I have spent many a day in the bush with little sucess, but we were happy to be out and enjoying the company.

This hunt started the same as any other except we thought we would try some new area. Not having much experience with the top of the Coquihalla, we expected to just do some driving and start planning for next years hunt.( My wife Liz is due at the end of Nov. and I was not sure I would be out again)

Drive we did, and covered some good ground but it was really busy as we had thought it would be due to the long weekend. Weather was good, clear and around the 9 degree mark. After some long hours of looking over tracks and trying to find where the deer might be hiding, we came across 2 does. Great at least we were seeing deer. So we watched the does for a minute or two, when out of the corner of my eye, a patch of white caught my attention. Standing on top of cliff about 65 yards away was a spiker buck.

I gave BSA 30 06 the binos and asked for a second opinion, as after 3 years with no game down I thought I might start seeing antlers that were not really there. :redface: When I got the confirmation I was waiting for, I got out of the truck and crept over to a clear view of the buck. Heart racing I sighted up the old iron sights of the 303, pulled the trigger and watched the deer drop right over the cliff side. I knew it was a good shot, and figured it would be an easy drag down the cliff. Man was I wrong! I got to the top( didn't wait for Bsa 30 06 just ran up the hill, so excited!!) and saw the deer had fallen under an old log and was stuck. I started pulling him out and realized that deer were much heavier than I had thought. Finally after some time I was able to get the deer down to where we could gut him out. After a little rest and some throwing up, I realized you should never eat Chef Boyardee and try and run up very steep inclines while being slightly fluffy and out of shape.:oops:

We gutted the deer (not as easy as I thought it would be) and started the drive home. After a few hours thanks to construction just passed Hope and some traffic problems to contend with we finally pulled into the driveway just passed 9 pm. 16 hours seemed to fly by that day and I was glad the my hunting partner was able to share it with me. Now we need to get out and find him his "big" buck. http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/buckguy1974/121.jpg

The Dawg
10-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Congrats! That'll be a great eater!

quadrakid
10-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Good for you! First critter is something you will never forget. Field dressing won,t seem so tough the second time around.

sawmill
10-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Slightly fluffy:mrgreen:I shot my drink out my nose!Funny man you are!Good little buck,eat him instead of the Chef Boyardi and you`ll be mountain man in no time!Good on ya,congrats:mrgreen:

sapper
10-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Congrats. My buddy who has been out for three seasons now (mind you, only once a season) is feeling frustrated with not connecting with any game. I'm hoping we can get him, and me, something in a few weeks.
We ran into that same traffic due to the construction on Monday. Quite the snarl.

Shooter
10-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Awesome job. I agree he will taste much better than the ol chef boyardee

Chuck
10-13-2010, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE=buckguy;763324]
Ater being a solo hunter for a year and finding it kind of lonley and boring,

Well, there's the reason for your hard luck till now. Change the way you think about being in the bush hunting alone. Think positive, enjoy the experience, visualize the shot you'll take and expect to see something at any moment and observe everything. Just see if it doesn't make a big difference.

With the help, you may have been just lucky this time, and that's ok too.

Fisher-Dude
10-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Congrats on a nice buck, Puke Breath! :mrgreen:

PointMan
10-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Congrats, i know the feeling, it is still fresh in my mind. Unfortunately, I had to do everything myself, no help in sight. Good to have all that meat safe in the freezer though. Now, off for a whitie doe.

LeverActionJunkie
10-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Congratulations on your first deer! Very happy for you. Every time I read of someones first deer I relive my first deer like it was happening right then.

nano
10-13-2010, 05:53 PM
Congrats man!

darrin6109
10-13-2010, 05:57 PM
bet if felt pretty good eh, way to go!

Jelvis
10-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Nice to see those deer go down quick Bang! Down!
Jel ( Hits the Ground )

BearSniper
10-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Good story , good shot

Hope it's the first buck of many....:wink:

5 spike
10-13-2010, 08:20 PM
good for you guys. congrats on a fine buck.

bsa30-06
10-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Congrats buddy glad i was able to be there when it finally got done.You will never forget the first one.I`m sure Liz thought you were full of crap when you called and told her.I`m sure if we came back empty handed again she wasnt going to let us play together anymore.We spent many day trips and many hours in the bush (sorry it took so long)and it finally paid off.Many more succesfull trips yet to come.

Buckmeister
10-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Congrats!!! It's a good thing to get your first one no matter the size.

guywitha270
10-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Nice work! I can't wait until I can tell my story too!

BimmerBob
10-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Congrats on your first, the next ones will be easier (maybe?) :wink:

Kyle84
10-14-2010, 12:14 AM
Congrats man! I'd be stoked with a deer like that. Going to be tasty!