PDA

View Full Version : Big bangs and your ears, WHAT?

tigger
10-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Anyone use ear plugs when they hunt, and how does that work? Or are those just for sissy pants? Ears are still ringing from last weekend.

pearljam
10-13-2010, 02:02 PM
I have a pair of custom made ear plugs. I dont shoot ever without them in......... They slide in and out super easy. its the animals last chance to get away......

oldschoolguy
10-13-2010, 02:13 PM
I was play shooting on monday afternoon. We drove a half an hour to a friends place when I realized I couldn't find my earmuffs. After 25 rounds through the 30 06 my ears were ringing horribly. They hurt until late that night. I will never never never do that again

lightmag
10-13-2010, 02:26 PM
i were peltor tac 6"s whenever shooting. When hunting i leave them on my head so if i have a chance i quickly slide them down. That being said i didn't get a chance with my moose.

I have permanent ringing in my left ear now when it's quiet around me from shooting for years with no protection, wish my dad would have made me. Now i'm scared to lose hearing or get anymore ringing in my ears.

the peltor tac 6's have mics to turn to enhance natural sounds but cut out as soon as a loud noise is heard.

Gateholio
10-13-2010, 02:26 PM
I carry ear plugs but rarely remember to put them in. At the range, it's plugs and the best Peltor ear muffs available.

I've spoken (yelled) offers of spare ear plugs to quite a few guys that came to shoot without them. They usually respond (yell) "no thanks, it doens't bother me" and I think to myself- That's cause you are deaf already!

Target practice without ear protection is for idiots.

BiG Boar
10-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Ever since I put my muzzle brake on I notice a substancial ringing in my ears from just one or two shots. At the range I dont bother, and I rarley shoot and have time to put them in. Maybe I'll start carrying them. The quiet brake that coraleens in dawson makes is not quiet at all.

thetackdriver
10-13-2010, 02:36 PM
ive alwayws got ear protection on if im out target shooting....hunting thats another story. Getting my ear plugs on could be the make or break decision for getting that big buck

tigger
10-13-2010, 03:19 PM
At the range, it's a done deal. Always have them in/on, but in the bush it's a bit different. Maybe I'll hang em off the old noggin just in case from now on. That said, I know when I see the next buck it'll be the last thing on my mind.

Mark_S
10-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Same as Pearljam, I carry a set of custom plugs that my employer had made when hunting. And at the range I wear plugs and muffs.

I made the mistake a few years ago of doing some shooting with the 30-30 with out plugs. Fired off about 20 rounds and the next day it sounded like I was laying on the bottom of the pool when anyone tried to talk to me. I wasn't able to understand a conversation on the phone. Scared the bejesus out of me and now I always use plugs.

hunter1993ap
10-13-2010, 03:42 PM
if i have time to get my ear plugs on i put them on but if the deer is walking or not going to give me any time my ears get blown off. i also use a muzzle break so i try to never shoot without ear protection/

kamloopshunter
10-13-2010, 03:43 PM
is a 30 06 louder than a 22 250 and a 338 wm louder than both? I have only really shot a 30 06 so don't know what makes a gun louder, the speed of the bullet or the size and speed?

My buddy shot a squirrel out of a tree with a 22 250 and I was using binos so my ears were ringing for about ten minutes. other than that I have always used ear plugs.

PointMan
10-13-2010, 03:50 PM
I have shot (recently) a .300 WinMag with muzzle brake, .30-06 150 gr, .30-30, and .22. The only one of these I would consider needing ear protection for while hunting is the .300, at the range I'd wear protection for all except maybe the .22

Kody94
10-13-2010, 04:00 PM
I always wear hearing protection at the range, and usually "double bag" at that.

In the past, I never bothered while big game hunting. I figured one shot now and then wouldn't cause enough damage to warrant the hassle of carrying protection or the risk of missing a shot opportunity while I put them in/on.

That changed with a trip to South Africa in 2002. I took 11 unprotected shots with a 375 H&H over 10 days, and I have had tinnitus ever since.

Now I carry a pair of rubber plugs in my breast pocket. When a shot opportunity arises, and time is limited, I put one of the plugs in my left (exposed) ear for sure. The right one is fairly sheltered by the stock and gets far less blast. If I have the time, I put both in. They are the type of plug that you can moisten (lick) and they just slip right in...ie. no rolling of the foam ones etc. They seem to do the trick, with everything right up to my 470 Mbogo.

The Dawg
10-13-2010, 04:12 PM
I always have a pack of ear plugs in my pocket, and a set around my neck.

I already have hearing loss and I dont need any more. Last time I shot one round without them in, I rung for 2 days.

I'll take 2 seconds to put them in, rather than a lifetime with no hearing.

Pete
10-13-2010, 04:14 PM
I use a sonic head set. They actually enhance your hearing ability but shut out any loud noises especially when you shoot.

demlake
10-13-2010, 04:57 PM
I carry the foam plugs.

I put them in if I have the time.

Springer
10-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Tigger you can't gain back the hearing loss ! Please be wise , listen to everyone here and take the few seconds out to wear them. I wear them even if its windy while hunting to prevent earache. The hearing loss I have suffered will never come back !!

sapper
10-13-2010, 05:09 PM
I use a sonic head set. They actually enhance your hearing ability but shut out any loud noises especially when you shoot.
How do you find them? Do you have the Walker's Game Ear? I've thought about getting a set myself.

MichelD
10-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Like many others, I carry foam plugs and pop one into my left ear at least and both if I have a chance when hunting. At range I double up with plugs and muffs.

My left ear is ringing with chronic tinnitus as I sit here typing and I haven't shot a rifle in two months. I can't afford any more hearing loss.

BlacktailStalker
10-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Peltors at the range, always.

troutseeker
10-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Double up at the range. Last year I started using those construction type plugs on a plastic hoop. They sit on my head and come down quick when a shot ids needed. Of course, last year I shot at nothing...

gamehunter6o
10-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Good hearing is like virginity, once you've lost it, it's gone.:cry::-D

jhausner
10-13-2010, 09:07 PM
i were peltor tac 6"s whenever shooting. When hunting i leave them on my head so if i have a chance i quickly slide them down. That being said i didn't get a chance with my moose.

I have permanent ringing in my left ear now when it's quiet around me from shooting for years with no protection, wish my dad would have made me. Now i'm scared to lose hearing or get anymore ringing in my ears.

the peltor tac 6's have mics to turn to enhance natural sounds but cut out as soon as a loud noise is heard.

Same with me. I have a few sets of MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X headsets (bought them because they are military grade, water proof electronics, and can take input from my 2-way radios for silent in field communications). Best purchase every. Cost me just over $200 and for hearing, completely worth it since when I get older hearing aids would be over $3k and only last a few years. ;)

Either keep them on your head (or ears since they do have sound enhancement but it takes some getting used to) or get an attachment so you can hook them onto your chest for easy access if you want to stick to natural sound. You should never be in a position where you need to fire in 2 seconds while hunting imo and I won't shoot anything that I don't have enough time to settle, get my headset on if it isn't on already, and then focus on the shot.

B.C.Boy(100%)
10-13-2010, 09:18 PM
I have only done this once, but it worked.
went to do a quick couple of check shot on a 308 with open sights before I went hunting for the day.
Had my one target, ammo, rifle, and thought that I had some ear plugs, but they were in the other truck at home.
Well I didn't feel very comfortable about going hunting with a rifle I just got that I had no idea where it would shoot, so I had to shoot it to see where the bullets were hitting, and you know what?
Mickey D's brown napkins moistened a bit and stuffed ( I mean stuffed) into my ears worked about the same as the sponge ear plugs do (pretty close)
The rifle shot good enough to take deer and on I went with the hunt.

At the range my ears are sealed, out in the field usually not, if there is time to shove them in then I do, but not all shots on game have that opportunity.
I had a rifle with a brake once, that was loud to the naked ear while hunting. Did that just once, after that I always took ear protection with that rifle.

Gun Dog
10-13-2010, 09:30 PM
At the range I use ear plugs. Ear muffs hit the stock; I must have low ears. Hunting I use nothing. I'm in the open and it's only one shot. My 300 win mag with muzzle brake made one ear ring for a day but it's my backup gun now.

Joel
10-13-2010, 09:44 PM
Anyone use ear plugs when they hunt, and how does that work? Or are those just for sissy pants? Ears are still ringing from last weekend.

Muzzle brakes are for sissy pants. Hearing protection in smart.

cloverphil
10-13-2010, 09:56 PM
I wear ear plugs daily for work, and plugs and muffs when at the range, but nothing when I'm hunting, but then I don't shoot a lot when hunting, so it ain't that damaging

Twobucks
10-13-2010, 10:09 PM
The audiologist told my father that a single shot from a rifle can inflict measurable hearing loss.

I've shot with hearing protection my whole life, double bagged at the range and with game ears or foam ear plugs when hunting - and I occasionally get some ringing in my ears. I guess I've take less than half a dozen shots without hearing protection in my life (but a little too much unprotected rock and roll). I've also noticed the loss at work - sometimes I can't make out what is being said in my earpiece, it just sounds muddy.

Call me sissy pants today, but you won't have a clue what I'm calling you tomorrow, 'cause you'll be deaf.

BOOTS!
10-13-2010, 10:11 PM
i don't wear plugs for rim fire, but for everything else i have muffs when practicing.

When i've gone out for deer with my .308, i've worn these things around my neck. fast and easy top put in and out. worked great when i used to work as a mechanic in a shop with lots of air tools. people really don't realize how hearing loss affects their daily lives.

http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/15768.SHR1776Q_4.jpg

Camp Cook
10-13-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm deaf in my left ear and high tones are gone in my right ear this damage is from 30 years in a loud work environment.

I now never go in the bush without hearing protection on at all times in cooler weather I wear Peltor Tac 6 electronic ear muffs and in warmer weather I wear a Custom Protect molded plug in my left ear and a E.A.R. molded hearing aid in my right this unit works exactly like the Peltor electronic muffs.

I can safely fire any firearm up to and including my 21" barreled 375RUM - 4.25" barreled 454 Casull handgun (ATC) without any kind of issues.

My son has been wearing a set of the Peltor muffs since he started going into the bush with me yes they cost appr $100.00 for a set of these muffs but it is so safe he can hear me at all times and there is no damage to his hearing if/when I have to shoot he's now 3 1/2 years old and has been hunting/shooting with me for over a year now.

Here is a pic of my wife and Jaiden they are both wearing the Peltor muffs he is holding his T/C Contender carbine in 22LR and she is holding my Robinson Arms XCR-L in 6.8 SPC spec 11...

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/img_9427_Modified_.jpg

.330 Dakota
10-13-2010, 10:28 PM
I use plugs religiously at the range, NEVER when hunting

RBH
10-13-2010, 11:07 PM
I always wear ear plugs plus muffs when at the range (protects hearing and allows calmer, better shooting.) Hunting I do not wear plugs. My buddy has poor hearing from long term construction abuse and wears plugs when hunting -- extra careful to protect his scarce resource. I have very good hearing (wife says otherwise...) and would to keep it that way. Shooting in the field only involves one or maybe two shots so I would like to think the damaging effect is minimal. Any medical guys out there know differently?

Hashiba
10-14-2010, 06:26 AM
I have been shooting since I was six, mostly with ear protection. I can only remember a handful of times I have not been wearing ear plugs or muffs when I was younger. When I was 14 I first noticed my left ear would crackle and pop...its like a blown out speaker...when I was in band class. Any situation with loud noise, even music at volumes below what I enjoyed as a teen, my left ear will cut out and crackle.

I am 23 now, but I already have hearing loss in my left ear (exposed to the muzzle blast)

I still don`t wear ear protection when hunting. Call me stupid, but I find the retort from non-muzzle break guns in the open aren`t bad. Its the range with its enclosed gallery I find hard on the ears.

Take it seriously folks. I double plug if I shoot at the range now, and even the lowly 22 makes me pop the muffs on. The combination of hundreds of rimfire rounds and that enclosed gallery will still affect your hearing.