PDA

View Full Version : No Animals in 7a-7 Region PERIOD!!!!

Ogopogo
10-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Went up to 7a-7 region for 5 days and just got back today. Was hunting from 5:30am-10:30am and from 3:00-Dark everyday and all 6 hunters only saw 2 elk, 1 black bear, and 6 grouse. Not one Moose at all, or even a deer. I think it was still to warm up there. Any ideas?

luckofthedraw
10-13-2010, 01:09 PM
what type of hunting? motorized, glassing cuts,foot?

Jagermeister
10-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Yup, warm temperatures just "vapourize" the moose and elk in that region.

Everyone thinks that because they are referred to as swampdonkeys that they only habituate swamps. In mountainous regions when the temps are warm and there has not be a good frost to knock off the black flies that are frequent at this time of year, moose and elk will seek refuge at higher elevations. The area that you were in has these higher elevations, that is probably where you should have looked if they were not present in the river valley bottom.

lightmag
10-13-2010, 01:55 PM
7a-7?? 7-7? 7a, what area are you refering too

Ogopogo
10-13-2010, 02:04 PM
7a-7?? 7-7? 7a, what area are you refering too

Omineca 7-7 region

jml11
10-13-2010, 02:06 PM
That's too bad just the other day I saw 2 black bears, 6 Grouse, 1 Mule Deer and 2 moose in a couple hours road hunting...but that was not in 7-7 either...

Me, I had trouble finding moose this weekend with the warm/windy weather but do know of several people who did quite well. Seen a few big bull moose taken over the weekend and heard of a couple more.

lightmag
10-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Omineca 7-7 region

7-7 can be hard to hunt, that being said there is lots of moose and elk and blackie and grizz around,

308Lover
10-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Severe drought this summer. Some old-time swamps are completely dry, even some smaller creeks. Areas near PG have changed quite a bit since spring.Running water(rivers) seem to attract the moose, but warmer weather seems to have slowed the transition from water plants and other browse to full alder/willow diet.Some moose on shady areas facing north, where it's cooler in the daytime. This weekend promises some minus temps so that'll move em. My 2 cents.

Ogopogo
10-13-2010, 02:09 PM
what type of hunting? motorized, glassing cuts,foot?

mostly by truck until we found what we thought were good areas (willows, swamp, etc.) then we would go back to those spots and sit and glass, did lots of walking as well, even tried cow calling bulls in tried just being quite as well and nothing. I think I'm just used to the okanagan area where I usually hunt and will see different animals all the time. Got pretty depressing when you dont see anything for that long.

luckofthedraw
10-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Havent been to the area, so I do not claim to be an expert. However, I was recently in 3-39 for 5 days and had a similar experience. We spent most of our time on the back roads, and glassing the cuts. Early morning to dark as well, very rarely saw anything, and ended up coming home skunked.

It appeared that because of the warmer weather, the animals werent forced to stay out and feed. Lots of warmth and lots of light for them, so they were entering our cuts at night, well past shootin light....and returning to bed inside the thicket throughout the day to escape the heat.

Makes for different stratagy hunting.....one that I plan on getting better at.

Bowzone_Mikey
10-13-2010, 02:12 PM
warm and windy ... critters dont move ...

that said I know a few people that have hunted with great success in 7-7 ...

Guy I was hunting with last week is up there this week with some guys from the island .... I hope they are successfull

Ogopogo
10-13-2010, 02:13 PM
the crappy thing is to is there were a ton of hunters up there driving the roads which probably made them all a little shy and weery, because calf opened up. We even had a cow draw in that area too.

jml11
10-13-2010, 02:35 PM
the crappy thing is to is there were a ton of hunters up there driving the roads which probably made them all a little shy and weery, because calf opened up.

Yup the epitomy of the calf season...road hunters everywhere...I know some guys are successfull this way but the rate of success is extremely low in my opinion. Even tried a couple afternoon/evenings doing it myself the past couple of days with zero success over nearly 8 hours of "driving". In areas I've seen moose this year by walking. Only one gut pile the whole time...I would be willing to bet that only 1 in 50-60 trucks is successfull this way on any given day, maybe even less.

sneg
10-13-2010, 02:56 PM
well. I guess it depends on bunch of conditions.
I have been in reg.7 on long weekend for 5 days,looking for elk.
For 4 days seen 23 moose, probably 20 or so white tail, probably 10 mule.
Shot bunch of grouse daily. Than last day weather has changed and I have not seen single animal,but couple grouse. So , if my conclusion based on last day of trip than if was most lousy place; but based on first few days it is best place in my records.
go figure.

jml11
10-13-2010, 03:48 PM
well. I guess it depends on bunch of conditions.
I have been in reg.7 on long weekend for 5 days,looking for elk.
For 4 days seen 23 moose, probably 20 or so white tail, probably 10 mule.
Shot bunch of grouse daily. Than last day weather has changed and I have not seen single animal,but couple grouse. So , if my conclusion based on last day of trip than if was most lousy place; but based on first few days it is best place in my records.
go figure.

You must be talking about 7B as elk closed in 7a on the the 9th of October.

Benthos
10-13-2010, 04:24 PM
somebody from my office wacked a big bull in 7-7 last week... so, they must be there ;)

BCLongshot
10-13-2010, 04:51 PM
:wink:Oct 3rd - 8th in 7a.

2 big bulls and a great muley buck.

Coulda had even more if I was allowed.

One morning I called in 5 bulls after I was tagged out.

Guys were bitching and asking me where I was finding'em.

Grizz around like crazy along with wolves.

No excuses gotta get'er done.

Having a bull draw and going home empty handed is just not cool.

Oh and both bulls were taken withing 30 m's so within the bow zone.

sawmill
10-13-2010, 05:08 PM
:wink:Oct 3rd - 8th in 7a.

2 big bulls and a great muley buck.

Coulda had even more if I was allowed.

One morning I called in 5 bulls after I was tagged out.

Guys were bitching and asking me where I was finding'em.

Grizz around like crazy along with wolves.

No excuses gotta get'er done.

Having a bull draw and going home empty handed is just not cool.

Oh and both bulls were taken withing 30 m's so within the bow zone.

Way to make a guy feel better.Weather changes everything,I live in the Serengeti of game but there are stretches when all the critters hide out.Best I`v found is right before a big nasty low pressure weather system moves in and right after it clears out a few days later.Warm windy days don`t produce but when a storm moves in..........BOYAAH

BCLongshot
10-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Holy moly buddy.

I just put my panties on.

Weather........Snowing like hell and the pissing down rain.

Could the weather be any worse ?

I was cold and soaking wet, couldn't see very well. Didn't I mention that the wolves were runnin and howling like crazy.

Geez louise.

tomahawk
10-13-2010, 07:57 PM
7-7 is my fav area around PG, lots of moose, bear and some deer. We almost exclusively call the bulls except last yr when we got lucky and tagged one on the FSR on our way back to camp for some lunch!!

BearSniper
10-13-2010, 08:04 PM
Hey there BCLongshot,

What do you think of the north side of the Fraser? .... 7-17, 7-03 ?

Hopefully heading up next week. Last year this time we had saw lots of W/T does and only a few single point W/T bucks.

Had a huge bull moose stare down my son 30 meters away for 5 minutes before he ambled off into the bush.[no LEH] Heard wolves howling lots nearby, but never saw one.

FishBC.org
10-14-2010, 08:19 AM
My brother seen the biggest bull moose of his entire life in 7-24 last night.
They're there. You just have to know the area, and their habits.
As for Deer. Whiteys and Muleys Near the Vanderhoof airport. Turn off the highway to streigler's pit right by the sign with the elephant head. There's loads of them in there. They come back to the trees after field grazing all day. I have never seen so much sign in my life, as when you walk into those tree stands. I've gotten my share of deer in there over the years. It's all crown land back in there behind the fields.
Omineca is good, but you have to know where and when.