PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Hwy. Pilots?

smoke-eater
10-13-2010, 08:48 AM
Is there anyone else that flys into the northern rockies other then Urs? Just

luckynuts
10-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Blood is very corrosive to aluminum. I'm sure his plane is worth a few million and there's the repair expense's. I've had nothing but great experiences with Urs and Mariana. Great folks who do a super job. maybe you should learn to cape out your head who wants to pay for extra weight that you are going to throw away anywise? Maybe ask before you fly in what is they best things to bring like plastic totes and such, Urs has been sticking up for resident hunters for a very long time:wink:

W.

MIL720
10-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Is there anyone else that flys into the northern rockies other then Urs? Just got out from a 12 day sheep hunt. (no legal rams seen) But that Urs guy is a real A-hole!!! He was super rude. We ended up shooting a moose the night bfore our flight out. And asked him to bring the beaver in instead of the 185..... He freaked out when we went to load the meat. He started beaking off because there was blood on the meat bags........ I had the cape still on the antlers for a shoulder mount and he started bitching about the weight. He gave us a lecture the entire flight home. Cant stand that guy!
LOL....you are just one of many that feels this way about Urs

silvertipp
10-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Is there anyone else that flys into the northern rockies other then Urs? Just got out from a 12 day sheep hunt. (no legal rams seen) But that Urs guy is a real A-hole!!! He was super rude. We ended up shooting a moose the night bfore our flight out. And asked him to bring the beaver in instead of the 185..... He freaked out when we went to load the meat. He started beaking off because there was blood on the meat bags........ I had the cape still on the antlers for a shoulder mount and he started bitching about the weight. He gave us a lecture the entire flight home. Cant stand that guy!
Ive had alot of bullshit with Urse as well we started useing Notrhan air i think its called & found the service to be twice whats Urse offers. Its all about the dollar for aurs and any deviations to a plan with him & youll not only pay dearly for it but get bitched at constantely for it as well just me 2 cents

wolverine
10-13-2010, 10:58 AM
I have no doubt that blood is corrosive to aluminum but he's in the kind of business that he has to expect a little blood if he's flying hunters in and out. Maybe he ought to have something in place so it's not an issue. Good way to lose business it to bitch at them especially for something that you ought to have taken care of.

pearljam
10-13-2010, 11:13 AM
I used Urs for the first time this year. It will be my last! Way over priced...

MB_Boy
10-13-2010, 11:14 AM
I have no doubt that blood is corrosive to aluminum but he's in the kind of business that he has to expect a little blood if he's flying hunters in and out. Maybe he ought to have something in place so it's not an issue. Good way to lose business it to bitch at them especially for something that you ought to have taken care of.

It would seem kind of odd as to why he wouldn't have a canvas tarp or something like that to lay down if blood is such a serious issue. :-?

Gateholio
10-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Problems like this could and should be dealt with beforehand with a little dialogue between the customer and businessman.

Fact sheets, FAQ's, verbal Q&A, discussion, extra charges spelled out, etc etc can all go a long way towards keeping everyone happy.

GoatGuy
10-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Blood is very corrosive to aluminum. I'm sure his plane is worth a few million and there's the repair expense's. I've had nothing but great experiences with Urs and Mariana. Great folks who do a super job. maybe you should learn to cape out your head who wants to pay for extra weight that you are going to throw away anywise? Maybe ask before you fly in what is they best things to bring like plastic totes and such, Urs has been sticking up for resident hunters for a very long time:wink:

W.

That beaver will be 500K max, probably more like 350K.

The post sounds like mis-communication all the way around. There's quite a few solutions to the problem.

2SHALLOW
10-13-2010, 02:57 PM

W.
HAHAHA you must be joking right? or are you Urs? a few million cmon try 3-400 thous max lol!! Sorry but i live up here and have dealt with him many times, i can give a few of many stories i just dont have the time. His lodge is first class he is a first class ass@#$%. I almost fell out of my chair when i read your comment, that he sticks up for resident hunters are you kidding me? he actually got into a fist fight with a guy last winter for asking to use his washroom at his lodge at muncho. Im done with this post its just a waste of time, as for other pilots try Villers Air they are spot on and professional oh and as for blood on aluminum wow thats stuff is like acid im shocked the plane didnt fall apart in the air. DONE.........

Kody94
10-13-2010, 03:53 PM
The only issue I have with Urs is price. Yes, he's pretty fussy, but he's also that way about his flying and his maintenance. I happen to like it when pilots are obsessive compulsive about their aircraft, weights, weather, etc.

He's definitely not the only game in town though, and I haven't had issues with others either....so it usually comes down to travel distance and price for me.

2SHALLOW
10-13-2010, 04:33 PM
The only issue I have with Urs is price. Yes, he's pretty fussy, but he's also that way about his flying and his maintenance. I happen to like it when pilots are obsessive compulsive about their aircraft, weights, weather, etc.

He's definitely not the only game in town though, and I haven't had issues with others either....so it usually comes down to travel distance and price for me.
What about the twin otter of his that crashed and burned two years ago at muncho lake? its on youtube twin otter crash.

Iltasyuko
10-13-2010, 04:37 PM
I have spent loads of time in Beavers and 185s as a fly fishing guide. The above comments about communication and stating expectations are spot on - and that responsibility falls in the hands of the business person/pilot - not the client. If you own a business never assume your customer knows anything about it - you are the expert and it is your job to tell the client what they need to know ahead of time. Having said that, many pilots don’t have the sharpest interpersonal skills or even think to lay things out in an orderly fashion with clients pre trip. Yes it is their job - many don’t for whatever reason, and they can bitch people out because they always have other paying customers lined up - customer service isn’t a priority. So even though it is the business owners role to spell things out for the client, don’t count on that happening - save yourself a headache and take the task on yourself before you go and run it past the pilot.

BlacktailStalker
10-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Theres this stuff called Linex...

I can't stand ignorant people.

wlbc
10-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Have done some but not a lot of fly ins. Did one with Urs this year. FWIW our experience was good.

I did find him particular about his plane - in a polite way - but I don't blame him planes are expensive. I also found him to be a careful pilot. Having the plane in good shape and being careful are good qualities in a pilot.

We had over a tonne of quarters and a bunch of racks to fly out when he came to get us - no issues. I would fly with him again.

Not disputing the OP's experience just sharing a different one.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-13-2010, 06:54 PM
What about the twin otter of his that crashed and burned two years ago at muncho lake? its on youtube twin otter crash.

He wasn't flying it...and it was pilot error(IIRC).

SSS

twodog
10-13-2010, 07:10 PM
I don't believe that blood is that corrosive to aluminum either.

Bowzone_Mikey
10-13-2010, 07:24 PM
DHC 2 Beavers are worth anywhere from 400 grr -600 grr USD ... the higher end is Amphib floats and recent total rebuilds for 1961 era models .... little cheaper for earlier ones .... little more for later ones

C185s are worth about 150 for early 1980s models ... and down to about 20 -25 grand for 40s and 50s vintage

regardless ... I personally have cleaned enough blood off of A/C Alum to know that its only corrosive if you let it sit for years .... the guy just needs to know how to operate a hose ...

that twin crash .... that the one added in sept of 08 ....

yea total pilot error ... he was slightly over weight (normally not an issue with the twotter) and tried to take off too early(usually a big problem when heavy) .... One of my best friends was involved with that recovery (he works for Borek ... the operator of the worlds largest Twin otter fleet)

scope-bite
10-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Northern Rockies Air flies from Watson Lake and Muncho Lake and I'm pretty sure they have a Beaver at both locations. $7 a mile.

luckynuts
10-13-2010, 08:05 PM

If you watch the youtube vid you can see that it is total pilot error as he takes off with his left flap down. As for the hunter and washroom episode always 2 sides to a story:-D

What I meant about blood and aluminum (need to be super specific on this site) is that cramming in stuff back into the tail of the plane you are not always going to spot blood or shit back there left behind which can later cause problems. As for the millions of dollars yeah big exaggeration on my part was just trying to get a point across. Though 3 panes and a lodge are most likely worth that much:wink: I'll agree Urs is more expensive but have found him to be a super guy and a very safety conscientious one too.

W.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Northern Rockies Air flies from Watson Lake and Muncho Lake and I'm pretty sure they have a Beaver at both locations. $7 a mile.

Did they get a new base @ Muncho??

SSS

Bowzone_Mikey
10-13-2010, 08:34 PM
If you watch the youtube vid you can see that it is total pilot error as he takes off with his left flap down.

W.

are we talking the one posted by Revpilot???

if so then .... both flaps are down ... as they should be for STO .... the pilot is yanking up on the nose to get it up before he is up to speed for the weight he is packing

luckynuts
10-13-2010, 08:42 PM
If you watch it the left one is still down after take off. I sat in a room with 3 pilots watching this video a couple years ago they all commented on it. That's all I know.

Maxx
10-13-2010, 09:31 PM
are we talking the one posted by Revpilot???

if so then .... both flaps are down ... as they should be for STO .... the pilot is yanking up on the nose to get it up before he is up to speed for the weight he is packing

Those two morons pilots had no business taking off from that short strip with the load they had. They were just too lazy to take the time to ferry to the proper strip to load up.

scope-bite
10-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Did they get a new base @ Muncho??

SSS

no I take that back, it was Northern Rockies Charters that was at Muncho...different company

Amphibious
10-14-2010, 09:14 AM
a few million cmon try 3-400 thous max lol!! .

now add the cost of spare parts he has to keep in stock, his insurance, the time and money he's invested becoming a pilot..... most people don't have a clue what it takes to own & operate an aircraft. Why are pilots usually pricks to passengers? you break stuff. you get stuff dirty. you walk into tail rotors and kill yourself right after the pilot told you not to.... self loading cargo.... ugh.

I don't believe that blood is that corrosive to aluminum either.

yes it is.

Theres this stuff called Linex...

the bed liner? way to heavy.

2SHALLOW
10-14-2010, 09:40 AM
now add the cost of spare parts he has to keep in stock, his insurance, the time and money he's invested becoming a pilot..... most people don't have a clue what it takes to own & operate an aircraft. Why are pilots usually pricks to passengers? you break stuff. you get stuff dirty. you walk into tail rotors and kill yourself right after the pilot told you not to.... self loading cargo.... ugh.

yes it is.

the bed liner? way to heavy.I know it aint cheap to run a buisness, this thread is about how he runs his place and lack of, he hates the local people of fort nelson in the summer because we camp on apparantley his lake, but come winter when nobody is stopping in and buying his 2$ a liter gas and 5 dollar bags of chips he is your best friend as long as you dont stay too long. Look at most peoples comments on how he is this should be enough, im glad you had a good experience and thats the way it should be for every paying customer but thats not how it is. Call him up and ask him to fly you to one of his trophy fishing lakes, tell him you really wanna take a few nice fish home to mount over the fireplace and you will see how he reacts. Have a nice day, hunting looks good this weekend.

Gateholio
10-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Why are pilots usually pricks to passengers? you break stuff. you get stuff dirty. you walk into tail rotors and kill yourself right after the pilot told you not to.... self loading cargo.... ugh.

If any of this is happening, then the pilot should have had better dialogue with the passengers. The onus is on the pilot/taxi driver/bus driver/train driver to control the situation and educate and enforce. Not educating and then reacting in anger is a poor strategy any time you deal with the public.

I've flown with good pilots both plane and helicopter, they always take pains to repeat the same lines they have had to endure many times before. "This is where you step, this is where you grab hold for support, don't touch this, blah blah balh."

You can't expect an uninformed person to do what you want them to do...I've never even heard about the blood and aluminum thing for example.

GoatGuy
10-14-2010, 09:59 AM
DHC 2 Beavers are worth anywhere from 400 grr -600 grr USD ... the higher end is Amphib floats and recent total rebuilds for 1961 era models .... little cheaper for earlier ones .... little more for later ones

C185s are worth about 150 for early 1980s models ... and down to about 20 -25 grand for 40s and 50s vintage

200 K for amphibs? Wow, that's a lot of money. :confused:

GoatGuy
10-14-2010, 10:01 AM
the bed liner? way to heavy.

Carrying a couple of garbage bags usually solves this problem. Some guys those heavy duty plastic bags. Lots of ways to work around it.

Not a complicated problem.