PDA

View Full Version : legal or illegal moose?

bigstew
10-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Immature season opens friday in region 8. We have observed a bull with a broken/deformed antler. He appear to be a 5X1 (approx 2" long)

Does that make him a spike/ fork?

swampdonkey
10-13-2010, 08:30 AM
legal 2 or less

lightmag
10-13-2010, 08:31 AM
2 pts or less on ONE side, can be a 20x1 and be legal.

jhausner
10-13-2010, 09:06 AM
What everyone above has said with a small addition, if it turns out to be an antler that was broken off in the rut (or for any other reason) or was shot off by a careless hunter, you may have to do some explaining to a CO if pulled over to confirm you weren't the one that a) broke it off or b) shot it off.

Either way though if through careful observation you are certain 1 side is no more than 2 points regardless of deformed or not, then it is a legal bull to shoot. It's that simple.

Me and a budy shot a Deer several years back which was a 5 x 1 point. Same deal, 1 side was 5 points in a 4 point area so was legal to take even though the other side was 1. Moose are just the opposite, can have a giant palm on 1 side if the other is a spike or fork then legal. That's why the regs now list Moose as spike-fork instead of immature where applicable.

Rock Doctor
10-13-2010, 09:13 AM
The way you describe it, yes that's legal.

However, this one is NOT legal:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/IMG_2155.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/IMG_2161.jpg

We had this guy snorting mad, pissing all over himself, early in the 3rd week of sept. Got a little vid and a few pics while I was thinking about a previous thread just like this one. Anyway, I wasn't positive about the legality of it so I phoned the CO. His responce:

" If it has any visible bone sticking up on the broken side, he's good to go. If the antler is busted off right at the base, then there is NO antler on that side, and he is NOT legal. 2 tines or less on one antler is good to go, but there still must be an antler."

I say it's arguable, but why bother?

RD

italhunter
10-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Aww, don't judge him based on looks. To determine if he were a mature or immature bull, you should spend some time to get to know him.:lol:LOL

But seriously, he's legal.

luckynuts
10-13-2010, 10:17 AM
The way you describe it, yes that's legal.

However, this one is NOT legal:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/IMG_2155.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/IMG_2161.jpg

We had this guy snorting mad, pissing all over himself, early in the 3rd week of sept. Got a little vid and a few pics while I was thinking about a previous thread just like this one. Anyway, I wasn't positive about the legality of it so I phoned the CO. His responce:

" If it has any visible bone sticking up on the broken side, he's good to go. If the antler is busted off right at the base, then there is NO antler on that side, and he is NOT legal. 2 tines or less on one antler is good to go, but there still must be an antler."

I say it's arguable, but why bother?

RD

Even if this bull in the pics had a 4" 1 spike on his left side I would say he's illegal for the simple fact that we all know he is not an immature. If a CO would pass this as a legal bull then they need to redo the wording in the regulations. Just like they did for what constituted as a point.

W.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Even if this bull in the pics had a 4" 1 spike on his left side I would say he's illegal for the simple fact that we all know he is not an immature. If a CO would pass this as a legal bull then they need to redo the wording in the regulations. Just like they did for what constituted as a point.

W.

They removed the term "immature" a couple of yrs ago just for that reason. Have seen a couple of bulls where there was an injury to one side of their bodies and there was a deformed antler(spike or fork) on the other side...but a paddle on the other.
I think one-shot-wonder took a bull like that a couple of yrs ago?

SSS

Phreddy
10-13-2010, 10:52 AM
I have a set of antlers that have a 5 pt paddle on one side with a 3" skinny spike standing by a 5" point that looks like snot running down the side of his head. Local CO tells me it would be legal in todays regs. Shot this one about 10 or 15 yrs ago in the Clearwater area. Will add a picture when I get the picture posting process figured out again.

jml11
10-13-2010, 10:55 AM
I was told by a CO that break off leading to 2-points or less is legal by the definition as long as there is at least 1" of antler (this is why that bull posted by RockDoctor is not legal). He also went on to warn me that they can tell if the break is fresh and/or tools were used...based on that this is a legal bull moose.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/PB170046.jpg

GoatGuy
10-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Immature season opens friday in region 8. We have observed a bull with a broken/deformed antler. He appear to be a 5X1 (approx 2" long)

send me the co-ordinates and I will tell you if he's legal or not.

SHAKER
10-13-2010, 11:12 AM
I'll take this another way..... Check out my monster tri-palm bull moose from a few years ago! He don't even crack 20" on the spread! Sorry the scale aint is good as I wanted.

http://i52.tinypic.com/htyyrb.jpg

Blktail
10-13-2010, 12:15 PM
A guy I know was checked by the CO's when he had a moose with a paddle on one side and a deformed 2 point on the other. He was good to go. The CO congratulated him on such a big 2 point.

Fisher-Dude
10-13-2010, 12:17 PM

Yes. Tell me where he is, as I have booked Friday off to go get 'im. :mrgreen:

W.

No such thing as immature in the regs. Spike/fork is the only definition to worry about.

luckynuts
10-13-2010, 12:34 PM
They removed the term "immature" a couple of yrs ago just for that reason. Have seen a couple of bulls where there was an injury to one side of their bodies and there was a deformed antler(spike or fork) on the other side...but a paddle on the other.
I think one-shot-wonder took a bull like that a couple of yrs ago?

SSS

See it pays to read the regulations in it's entirety:-D. I can remember a guy shot a bull moose that had broken off his paddle but still had his 2 brow tines that we had just past up. Though back then it was definitely called mature immature. Never knew it changed. Thanks BT.

yzchamp
10-13-2010, 12:41 PM

W.

just another guy that dosn't know what hes talking about and like s to read hes own posts......

quadrakid
10-13-2010, 05:09 PM
If you are seeing him regularly,take some good photos then let the air out of him.

dana
10-13-2010, 05:20 PM
No such thing as immature in the regs. Spike/fork is the only definition to worry about.

Hypocrite! Sooo it's alright to consult the regs concerning spike/fork moose but not 4 point or better muleys? Did you confirm your assumptions in the Wildlife Act or did you just have beers with your CO friend and he told ya it was okay? :twisted:

born2hunt
10-13-2010, 05:48 PM

imho i dont think its worth the grief your gonna get from the c/o move along and find another...

Fisher-Dude
10-13-2010, 06:54 PM
Hypocrite! Sooo it's alright to consult the regs concerning spike/fork moose but not 4 point or better muleys? Did you confirm your assumptions in the Wildlife Act or did you just have beers with your CO friend and he told ya it was okay? :twisted:

Ahh, Sparky, it's time you went hunting.

When I refer to the "regs", I'm referring to the Hunting Regulations of the Wildlife Act. (http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/190_84_00) When I refer to the Synopsis (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/), I'm referring to the nice little summary booklet you get at the sporting goods store.

I know the semantics are lost on you, but keep your chin up anyway, as I'm sure you'll end up in court with your attitude towards the COs (and all other authority figures, for that matter).

PS - Is this you? :mrgreen:

Document..Count..Offence.. Date..Statute..Nature..Accused..City Of Offence..
AH10630897-1129-Apr-2005..MVA - 186 Failing to stop at stop signDANA, STEPHEN..Central Saanich, BC, CAN

Finding
Guilty

Jelvis
10-13-2010, 08:09 PM
Some person sawed a point off a three point bull with a wood saw or saw wire to make it a two point up near PG, I don't think that would work, we found it by a lake discarded, you could tell someone tried but failed. From a 3 to a two .. looked phony ..
Jel ( Saw Dust ) I don't think so ..

dana
10-13-2010, 09:15 PM
FD,
I have high regard to CO's that actually know the law, the real law, not some princess fairy tale never never land law that you seem to think exists. If you have had enough time to search for what some Stephen Dana has allegedly done, you'd think you would have found the smoking gun within the Wildlife Act that says a point that is located somewhere near the eyeguard is not a legal point eh? Come on boy, you can do better than that. You have had your ass handed to ya again and again and you still think you somehow are right, yet you can't find anything to prove your position can ya?

As for your little internet search, in almost 24 years of driving I've only received one vehicle violation and that was way way back when I was 18, a speeding ticket. I've also never been to Saanich in my life. You've internet searched the wrong guy which just makes you more the fool. :)

Hashiba
10-14-2010, 06:46 AM
Maybe instead of starting a pissing contest you could actually quote and tell us where this `smoking gun` within the wildlife act about eyeguards and non-legal points is. I sure as hell can`t find it.

The definition of a tine or point in the wildlife act is the same as it is in the regs.

If you know something we all don`t then please inform us.

troutseeker
10-14-2010, 08:08 AM
Moose and women have a lot in common. Some immatures have big racks and some mature one's have small racks. It is never considered polite or safe to comment on a racks size in mixed company.

mark
10-14-2010, 01:59 PM
So what is the minimum Legal length to be considered a spike????
Support answer by quote from regulations, not "I heard from a buddy, or CO"
Not talking about a "point" here!

bighornbob
10-14-2010, 02:18 PM
So what is the minimum Legal length to be considered a spike????
Support answer by quote from regulations, not "I heard from a buddy, or CO"
Not talking about a "point" here!

From the regs:

Spike Buck - means a male deer having
antlers that are composed of a main beam
from which there are no bony projections
greater than 2.5 cm in length.

BHB

mark
10-14-2010, 02:32 PM
From the regs:

Spike Buck