PDA

View Full Version : How often does this happen?

Gateholio
05-14-2006, 03:52 PM
I wonder how often this happens and we arent' even aware of it?

Last night, we were set up overlooking a ravine, which had a old logging road winding around the top of it.

We had spotted a good bear, on the other side of the ravine, abotu 200 yards away, feeding on the grassy slope. He was ducking in and out of cover, and we were hoping he woudl stop long enough in the open to get a broadside shot at him.

FInally, he came out, into the clear. Now wait until he turns broadside.....Scott, the shooter was lining up on him, ROb and I were watchin through our binos.

All of a sudden the bear pops his head up, and bolts - he is GONE....

We try to figure out what had happened? Teh wind was in our favour, he hadn't seen us, couldn't hear us....Mayeb the cooling thermals dropped our scent down to him?

The naswer was clear as we walked out and ran into 2 other hunters, who had said they saw nothing...They had been walking on the road at he top of the ravine, and their scent must have dropped down to the bear, and spooked him.

Tehy never knew the bear was there, and it of course I wonder how often do you think it happens to even expeienced hunters? I bet more often than we like to think...:biggrin:

Jetboater
05-14-2006, 04:22 PM
A couple days ago I stalked to within 100 yds of a bear only to realize I was with 25 yard of a sleeping bear,unfortunatly he was small but quite the wake up call, when all my senses were focused on the bear I was stalking to stumble onto this one.

mainland hunter
05-14-2006, 05:36 PM
its happened to me a few times watching an animal only to have one motionless nearby that i didnt see until later on. i was stalking a bear once and had another bear run out 15 yds in front of me i had no idea was there

i6s1
05-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Logically, it probably happens at least once for every animal that we do see. With a bit of a breaze, it makes sense that for every animal upwind that we do see, there was another one downwind that's busted you and took off.

Steeleco
05-14-2006, 08:15 PM
I just about got ran over by a nice sized whitetail near Goose lake. He came burning throught the bush as I was driving out. 1km later we ran into a guy that had put a chase on a big deer and wanted to know if we'd seen anything. If only i'd been walking instead!!!!

Kirby
05-14-2006, 08:59 PM
LOTS! I've watched friends moving, and seen the deer leaving, after they say they saw nothing, I've have seen 7 deer in 1km that the hunter never saw.

Kirby

huntwriter
05-14-2006, 09:14 PM
It happend often to me, mostly with deer or turkeys. They would stay there perfect for a good shot and then out of the blue bound off. In many cases I would see shortly after another hunter meandering around nearby. Ah well, that's hunting for you. :)

Freshtracks
05-14-2006, 09:27 PM
Not surprised the least Gatehouse. On year up hunting the 'stretch' on the upper Nahatlatch .. my buddy and me spots a good bear feeding off the side of the road. We make a sneak to close the distance, when he states he thinks it's a sow with a cub between her legs. It was late in the day and the sun was to our back so we both were trying to confirm the shadow. Well the bear slowly threw it's head up, to the up roadside and with a slight pause then disappeared into the bush. We looked at each other puzzled. About 2 minutes later another buddy driving a dodge diesel come around the slight bend.

It just dawned on us how many bears one wouldn't see right beside the road if they hear you and spook out. Walking spurs roads is now done first or slipping slowly down known main road feeding haunts.

Elkhound
05-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Yup, it must happen to all of us at some point.

Husky7mm
05-15-2006, 07:17 PM
How do you like when someone shoots the animal your stalking, or the animal your lining up to shoot, and you think your alone!

huntwriter
05-15-2006, 08:34 PM
How do you like when someone shoots the animal your stalking, or the animal your lining up to shoot, and you think your alone!

Depends on two things.
1. Has the other guy seen me stalking the animal? If yes I get upset but not to much.

2. The other guy has not seen me going after the animal then its, "ah well". The animals belong to all of us and there are plenty more where that one came from.

With so many hunters in the field it almost can't be avoided to run in to each other at times.

Will
05-15-2006, 09:24 PM
Must happen to me Everytime I go out.........I never see a darn thing:(
I know I'm doing everything right:lol:
;)