PDA

View Full Version : Mulies in 3-18 for first hunting trip...

Torch
10-12-2010, 09:43 AM
So a few buddies and me are heading up to Chataway lake area in 3-18 to loose our hunting virginity (hopefully), We had this area strongly recommended to us by a friend who is a very avid hunter.... 2 of us are virgins and the one fellow has been hunting a while....

Anyhow I am the one putting the trip together so I'm here to verify that this is a decent location/area... Any input would be appreciated, we are meat hunters so we aren't looking for anyones "honey hole" for the big boys...

Also we aren't fixed on the Chataway lake location we can move about if required....

We'll be up there from the 22-25 of Oct if this makes a diffrence...

Thanks to all on this site for the advice and ongoing education!!! :wink:

Jelvis
10-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Good pick for bucks that a way to Chataway Lakes, Antler Lake and Cougar Lake ..
Jel ( Billy Lake) all buck hunting country mules and whites .. Le Roy and Gump in the forest lakes
... ok Roscoe ? lol .. On the Dot Lake .. lol .. Gypsum for sum .. lol .. POW! Check fields & streams for dreams
MU 3-18 .. Alive N Well .. KaPow .. Looky approved this message .. To the west of Mammit Lake .. Jimmy Jake

DEVILKID
10-12-2010, 12:59 PM
a budd of mine just got bac from 3-18..nice big 4p! cant wait 2 see the pics!!but any back rd maps/google earth will help you. good luck!!

Torch
10-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks guys, I picked up the back-roads map book for the area and have been spending time Google earthing the crap out of the area, looks promising to the eye of a beginner... I picked up a mule & whitey tag for the hunt would love to fill at least one of them... Antler lake looks like it may be promising...no road traffic!

Kevin So
10-12-2010, 03:27 PM
There was some heavy logging near chataway and calling and Dot lake area this year. Good luck.

3kills
10-12-2010, 03:30 PM
the roads get pounded pretty good and like kevin said there is heavy loggin in here there all the time. pm me if u want a good spot to check out.

Torch
10-20-2010, 11:27 AM
My friends brother just got back from a week in the area (truck hunting) and had no luck... anyhow we are not planning to truck/road hunt, so does this give any inclination to our possible success? also he heard while up there that the local indigenous population reserve are planning to head up this week and "blow the place out?"

Like I said I'm a newb and this trip is being planned by me... my first hunt,and I'm taking another newb and a half newb... I don't want to disappoint ;)

Any advice would be great...right now I'm thinking that we'll persevere and make sure to move into areas away from roads....

3kills
10-20-2010, 11:32 AM
there is lots of better areas around merritt to go then that one

Torch
10-20-2010, 11:35 AM
I've still got the spot you advised me of in my head... Are ther any other mu's that would be better? over to 3-19? I'm not totally familiar with the are off the main roads...

3kills
10-20-2010, 11:46 AM
if u are goin to stick with 318 go to the road i told ya bout and check it out. spots of 319 are good but logged out hard as well and some spots are pounded. if u wanna try another mus pm me again and i will see what kind of spot i can set u up with.

Good2bCanadian
10-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Was up there fishing mid sept.
I had a 25 fish day on one of the lakes.
Seen momma moose and calf and a ton of anterless deer
Soo much logging up there because of the beetle kill.
My backroads book wasn't much help cause the roads have changed soo much.
We drove around via gps mostly
There are a few high spots overlooking vast cut blocks
Lots of road hunters up there
Search google earth for some good spots
Lots of little creeks connecting the lakes up there.
At the top of billy lake we boated across and shored our boat and got out and seen lots of tracks up there. Your right beside the highland mine there so check your regs regarding access etc

Torch
10-20-2010, 01:49 PM
I will consider suggestions of areas within other mu's within 4-5 hrs of the lowermainland, the boys are grillin me pretty good about areas they've been told about from years past but it seems everyone I look into is in pretty rough shape due to one reason or another...

53 hours till departure...but to where?

johnk
10-21-2010, 05:15 AM
Have hunted 3-18 for years and as far as Chataway goes, I like to hunt the area north of Roscoe and, failing that, parking at the deadend past Antler Lake, I'll hunt those cutblocks as they were logged 4-5 years ago and the slashes are loaded with feed. Lots of sidehill slashes with nice ridges up top.

There are still lots of nice bucks in 3-19 between Tunkwa Lake and Greenstone mountain and a lifetime of logging roads waiting to be discovered. Logging is not always a bad thing. You need to find brand new slashes where the muleys are in there eating the new grass shoots.