PDA

View Full Version : Hunting/Guns - Do you care?

todbartell
05-14-2006, 01:03 PM
I was just wondering how many of you guys would class yourself as a hunter who really doesnt care for guns like a truly crazed gun nut would. Sort of like some guys who commute in whatever car gets them to work in one piece, where the next guy is a full blown gear head and drives to work, dreaming about rebuilding his motor/transmission.

Here's a poll, lets see where people would classify themselves at.

mainland hunter
05-14-2006, 01:12 PM
love to hunt and i really enjoy my rifle and shooting but i definately am more of a hunter than a gun nut

Kirby
05-14-2006, 01:16 PM
Seeing as how I own a decent collection, and constantly trading, or buying/selling and I don't even rifle hunt, I would say I am a gun nut. However I have a purpose to rifles, for example, my .338 win mag is nothing but a last resort rifle for hunting, cheap scope, cheap bases, and no load worked up, my .308 however is different, 20 MOA base, TPS rings, worked action/trigger, 6-24x scope, and constantly working loads, its never seen the bush.

Kirby

Geo.338
05-14-2006, 01:21 PM
I love my hunting and I love my guns .I currently own 2,.22's a.30-.30 .303 a.30-06 and .338 win mag .I would like to own a few more like maybe a 12 guage semi or pump and a slug gun ,and tops on my list a Rem. Titanium in .260 .To me a finely crafted rifle is like a piece of art .Some look too nice to take afield but if you can't use it why have it.

youngfellla
05-14-2006, 02:05 PM
I really enjoy tweaking and tuning rifles and testing new handloads. I like to get the very best out of every rifle, nothing less. You'll probably never hear me say "Ahh.... good enough I guess"8-) I like to set an MOA standard for every hunting load (except 45/70, iron sights):biggrin:

Tack
05-14-2006, 02:22 PM
Hi,
This question says more about the character or the personal make-up of the person than the question reveals.
For example I am not a gun nut but I am a gear nut. When I started scuba diving I could have made do with inexpensive equipment but because I was going to have to rely on that equipment to save my life I bought the best performing gear I could lay my hands on. I am exactly the same with tools, knives, clothing and guns. I may "only" need cheap factory rifle with inexpensive rings and a budget scope but given that I feel I owe it to myself and the animal I am hunting to do my very best then the rifle I hunt with has to be the best I can find.
This is not perfectionism, more it is a realisation that perfect does not exist but, we all attempt to approach perfection in different ways.
Regards
Tack

Gateholio
05-14-2006, 02:32 PM
Love rifles and a few certain shotguns and handguns.

I avent' hunted with factory ammo since I cannot remember:cool:

I used to have ahuge collection of firearms, now I am paring them down to a well thought out rifles, customized for my needs.8-)

I like hunting alot, and I find it so much more satisfying to hunt with a fine rife, built to my specs, quality rings and a high end scope.:wink:

Walksalot
05-14-2006, 03:57 PM
I guess I feel if it works keep it and if it ain't broke don't fix it. I have been hunting with the same 30-06 for a long time, better than thirty years. If I had the chance to pick up another gun it would be a winchester Model 88 in .308 caliber. I picked up a Savage Model 99 in .308 but it is going to my son-in-law when he gets his PAL.

Boo
05-14-2006, 06:14 PM
The question should be: "Are you a hunter that shoots or a shooter that hunts?"

For a pure meat/trophy hunter I am positive that ANY production rifle made today chambered in 30-06 will take care of any animal one would want to hunt in Canada today.

I however love shooting and reloading as much as hunting. I have for example been asked countless times why I still load 12 gauge target loads as good factory stuff is so cheap today. My answer is always the same: "I love to reload shotgun shells!" I don't need any more justification than that. LoL

I also like to get the best accuracy possible out of all my rifles and like Gatehouse I can't remember the last time I have fired factory loads. ( I own a few rifles that have NEVER been fed a factory cartridge)

Lastly when it comes to rifles I love the shear beauty of their design and engineering. I love they way most of the basic designs have been unchanged for more than a century. Like a fine mechanical clock or a precision race-car rifles perform the job they were designed to do over and over again with precision and beauty.

Steeleco
05-14-2006, 08:09 PM
Don't have a huge collection but I'm always looking and tinkering. I shoot as often as time allows and I'm always thinking about hunting, old hunts and new ones I hope to do.

huntwriter
05-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Bow, Rifels, Shotguns, to me they are only tools to hunt. I buy good quality tools and practise with them year round and take good care of them. But other than that I care about them as much or less as about a drill. The same for cars it has five weels and one of them is to steer with, I take care of it and keep it nice but do not waist any time efford or money on anything that is cosmetic, car or weapon.

LeverActionJunkie
05-14-2006, 09:52 PM
My name is Rob aka LeverActionJunkie and I am a "Rifle Loonie", I don't know why, I can't explain it its just so! I have far too many guns, at least thats what the Mrs says, and my mom and my dad and her dad(an ex CO) and even one of my buddies! Do I hunt? Yes, but not nearly as much as I'd like too! Last few years work has been getting in the way! But I just keep on buyin guns. Lately though I been thinkin on scaling back a bit and just using these guns for what they're intended for, Fillin the freezer. I mean 1 out of 4 model '94's outtta be able to kill somethinLOL

boonerbuck
05-14-2006, 11:43 PM
I'm a hunter first and a rifle enthusiast after. I have quite a few rifles now. I enjoy them more and more every year but I would sell one of my rifles to go on a big hunt in the northern Rockies for elk and sheep in a heart beat as long as I wasn't left without the proper tools.

Bottom line is I make sure I don't tie all my money up in my toys. When the fall comes around, I hunt and I hunt a lot. I'd go back to being the one rifle hunter before I would limit my hunting if I had to choose.

Will
05-15-2006, 09:22 PM
I Love Guns, love to Load for them and I love to tinker with them.
I also Love Hunting and if I had to I'd use a rock.... for the mean time I'll use one of my Gunzzzzzz:twisted:

Elkhound
05-16-2006, 10:04 AM
I love to hunt, I love firearms. Given an unlimited cash flow I would spend endlessly on both.

Hank Hunter
05-17-2006, 11:21 PM
I guess I am both, I live for hunting and I spend all off season working up loads to drop that buck of a lifetime, may never happen but sure is fun trying

bckev
05-18-2006, 08:34 AM
Being a poor sod I have managed to keep my interest in guns down to shooting straight. If I ever win the lottery.....lookout.

rrfred
05-18-2006, 08:45 AM
Would a golfer hit the greens with just one club? I like my tools, and take good care of them:)

The 'Hummer'
05-18-2006, 09:15 AM
Got into archery a few years ago, love it, but have no intention of giving up my interest or use of firearms. Handguns, rifles and shotguns, I enjoy using them all for hunting and / or target shooting. My most recently purchased handgun is the S&W 500. I've been load testing & practicing, the objective being to use it on a Moose hunt in Alaska:-D , hopefully around 2008 or 9. I used to do all my own casting, especially handgun bullets but I no longer do so as there is a guy locally that does a great job for a very reasonable price. Still continue to do all my own reloading & associated testing.:smile: Very satisfying when it all 'comes together' in an exceptionally accurate load and then to use that hunting. Not into collecting though.:biggrin: If I don't 'use' it, its gone. :(

elkster
05-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Started out as just a hunter one 30-06, but the last couple of years the rifles and shotguns are starting to creep into my thoughts. Too much says the better half. So I think I'm sitting on the fence, oops thinking about bows too.:lol:

alremkin
05-18-2006, 02:18 PM
I have a small gun collection, 11, and also enjoy hunting. The vast majority of the ammunition that I shoot are handloads. I occasionally buy factory loads ,but all my hunting ammo is handloads as well as the target ammo I load.

fuzzybiscuit
12-03-2015, 05:51 PM
I make time to get a bunch of hunting in each season but not a lot of shooting...so I guess that I'm a hunter first and a shooter second. I'd have a hard time putting in so many days in the bush if I wasn't packing a quality rifle though.

warnniklz
12-03-2015, 05:59 PM
I FRICKIN LOVE MY RIFLES!!

To me, for the most part... a shotgun is a shotgun is a shotgun. But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate a nive shotgun.

AR type rifles I like. But not a huge tacticool guy. I think the robinson arms xcrs are frickin sweet.

I'd like to own some M1s, Thompsons, K98s, M14s... stuff like that...

Oh yeah! Tactical bolt action rifles are B.A. as well

Gateholio
12-03-2015, 06:00 PM
Holy necro-post! This thread is 9 years old!

My post is funny, I *did* pare down my hunting rifle collection quite a bit (maybe too much right now) but it was replaced tenfold with "work" guns. :)

Wonder if "The Hummer" ever took that 500S&W on an Alaskan Moose hunt in 2008?

Bugle M In
12-03-2015, 06:05 PM
if I had the cash, hell ya, but I would stop at a Sauer and a zeiss/swaroski, in 270 win and 300 win mag

todbartell
12-03-2015, 08:24 PM
throwback thursday?

dhog
12-03-2015, 08:47 PM
I hunt as much as time and cash allow and i can go a month and not us the same rifle twice so I'm a collector that love to hunt

TrickleCharger
12-03-2015, 10:31 PM
Wow this one is from well before my time here but voted anyway. A gun is like a truck to me in that I want a good one that I can trust. A few to cover different situations and I'm set. No handloading either just don't have the time for it. I've tossed the idea around a bit but that got about as far as my plans to get into fly tying... Rather be hunting and fishing than messing with bullets and hooks!

BgBlkDg
12-04-2015, 05:18 AM
I am an advanced, extreme "gunaholic", have been for over 60 years. I am "getting better" though and have sold many of my fine guns and am now down to only 43 at last count. Most, 30 are highend bolt hunting rifles as these are my main interest, but, since my first, a Cooey ss 20 bore, purchased in 1964, I have owned about every make/model of gun available in BC.

These range from an orginal FN-FAL to a fine, costly English sxs 12 bore in mint condition to two Dakota 76-338s. to a Merkel drilling in 12-12-9.3x74R. My latest is a Kimber 84L Mountain Ascent in .280AI, so, I voted for the fourth option.

However, age and no heirs is motivating me to sell almost all of my remaining guns and to NOT buy more.

Fisher-Dude
12-04-2015, 07:02 AM
throwback thursday?

http://www.autopartsdb.net/assets/images/ProductImg/5/59772931_thumb.JPG

Surrey Boy
12-04-2015, 07:37 AM
I enjoy both hunting and shooting, but my schedule makes me 80% a shooter. It's easy to go to the range for a few hours, but hunting demands more planning, which work won't allow much. Back when I had more time than money I was mostly a hunter, but now my wife and I are almost three dozen guns, six of which get taken hunting, almost always for spring bear.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-04-2015, 07:56 AM
Wasn't even a member back when this was first posted.

Im Hunter. Not a shooter. But I would like to shoot more. Currently I just don't have the time.

Killed ever big game animal with my first and only rifle....a browning Abolt in .270......minus one deer that I killed with my daughter's handy little rifle.
There are certainly better rifles out there than my Abolt but I have no complaints its performance over the past 25 years. Could lighten up the trigger a bit but that's about it.

SSS

Rich_D
12-04-2015, 08:46 AM
Being a competitive Long Range shooter I am with my guns all year long.

Weatherby Fan
12-04-2015, 08:56 AM
I am an advanced, extreme "gunaholic", have been for over 60 years. I am "getting better" though and have sold many of my fine guns and am now down to only 43 at last count. Most, 30 are highend bolt hunting rifles as these are my main interest, but, since my first, a Cooey ss 20 bore, purchased in 1964, I have owned about every make/model of gun available in BC.

These range from an orginal FN-FAL to a fine, costly English sxs 12 bore in mint condition to two Dakota 76-338s. to a Merkel drilling in 12-12-9.3x74R. My latest is a Kimber 84L Mountain Ascent in .280AI, so, I voted for the fourth option.

However, age and no "HEIRS" is motivating me to sell almost all of my remaining guns and to NOT buy more.

Don't worry Dad I'll look after those Rifles for you............your newfound son WeatherbyFan !

I love Hunting and Rifles, I to am a gunaholic........bolt action rifles mainly 8)

Cyrus
12-04-2015, 09:07 AM
not a paranoid gun owner like many others....have no fear of the man breaking down mydoor and taking my guns away for no just reason...have no use for machine guns and handguns...only target practice to get my gun sighted in and more comfortable with longer shots. if i didnt hunt i wouldnt own a gun.

elch jager
12-04-2015, 09:22 AM
You need another bullet in your list... between 2 and 3
I love to hunt, and rifles/shooting interest me a LOT

B.C.Boy(100%)
12-04-2015, 10:05 AM
I'm both, an avid hunter and an avid firearms tester, always buying and trying new and old rifles, the hard part is selling them, anyone know of a cure for that?

250 sav
12-04-2015, 10:36 AM
You need another bullet in your list... between 2 and 3
I love to hunt, and rifles/shooting interest me a LOT
my thoughts

Bugle M In
12-04-2015, 12:09 PM
Don't worry Dad I'll look after those Rifles for you............your newfound son WeatherbyFan !

I love Hunting and Rifles, I to am a gunaholic........bolt action rifles mainly 8)

Can I get in line behind you on the adoption list???...lol

12-04-2015, 12:29 PM
I really like guns - all types of guns. Unlike Cyrus, I like handguns, and tactical guns. They are just plain fun to shoot. My enjoyment of time at the range has grown even more since I started handloading, as it has opened up a whole world of material to study and learn. I also really like hunting, and spend as much time hunting as my marriage will allow. Having said that, even if I could not hunt, I would still shoot.

knighthunter
12-04-2015, 01:11 PM
not a paranoid gun owner like many others....have no fear of the man breaking down mydoor and taking my guns away for no just reason...have no use for machine guns and handguns...only target practice to get my gun sighted in and more comfortable with longer shots. if i didnt hunt i wouldnt own a gun.

This covers it for me too. Altho I did own a handgun years ago, back when I lived on the prairie's.

HarryToolips
12-04-2015, 01:24 PM
Hunting, shooting, and bush-whackin/orienteering are my favourite hobbies.. passionate about all of them....my best gun is a Rem.700 30-06, great with the right ammo (rem. core-lokt, Federal Fusion), can't wait til I can afford something in the 2.5-3 k range, as I'm getting into more longer-distance shooting..touching 500 yards in nice groupings now, am striving to one day reach 1000 yards....

Gateholio
12-04-2015, 02:15 PM

Thid is Canada. They won't break down your door, just slowly legislate you out of existence. :)

kagia
12-04-2015, 02:19 PM
I don't even hunt much. I just like guns and the idea of freedom and liberty.

Squamch
12-04-2015, 03:24 PM
I hunt all I can. I'm also a gear junkie. I have three different trucks, and several different hunting rifles and shotguns. I like shooting too, I'll shoot .22s, center fire rifles, shotguns, bows, whatever I can, whenever I can. I would say I'm a hunter over a shooter though.

Dutch
12-04-2015, 04:28 PM
Shotgun guy ,like my rifles and have a few cool ones (.375 Ruger African) but shooting clays skeet and hunting ducks, geese and pheasants is what I love ,my pheasant gun is 1956 and was shooting mallards the other day with a model 12 circa 1939.sweet little number don't make them like that anymore lol even in Turkey ...

fuzzybiscuit
12-04-2015, 04:45 PM
I really like guns - all types of guns. Unlike Cyrus, I like handguns, and tactical guns. They are just plain fun to shoot. My enjoyment of time at the range has grown even more since I started handloading, as it has opened up a whole world of material to study and learn. I also really like hunting, and spend as much time hunting as my marriage will allow. Having said that, even if I could not hunt, I would still shoot.

Thid is Canada. They won't break down your door, just slowly legislate you out of existence. :)

They did in High River a few years ago...

Xenomorph
12-04-2015, 05:07 PM

To confiscate semi-autos?

Salty
12-04-2015, 05:15 PM

And gave them back with their tail between their legs

Doostien
12-04-2015, 10:49 PM
I like shooting waaaay more than I like hunting, that being said I still like hunting. Hunting lets me make way more interesting shots than simply punching holes through paper or hitting milk jugs. I'm not big into 'trophy animals' so much as I am 'trophy shots'. Whacking a coyote at 600+ is more satisfying to me than getting some great big deer.