PDA

View Full Version : wild boar in BC?

unit91
10-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Though these things are considered a "nuisance" or "invasive" species in Alberta, I've read that they are starting to migrate over from Alberta into BC. These were not too credible looking sources though. Anyone over in the Kootenays see any of these bad boys roaming around? mmmm a freezer full of bacon and other pork stuffs... This sounds too good to be true.. is it?

tomahawk
10-11-2010, 08:23 PM
Don't know if there still around but there used to be a bunch out on the north side of Harrison Lake. we hunted them probably over 25 yrs ago now, they were all over and not hard to find as they make a mess of the vegetation in the area they are in. They taste great but are drier and leaner then farm raised.

unit91
10-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Harrison Lake eh? sounds more like that's coming up from US than over from Alberta. Of course that would be the (original) pattern of migration from which alberta received them. 25yrs ago though eh? do you know why the BC hunting/trapping synopsis doesn't even have them mentioned??

bridger
10-12-2010, 06:26 AM
there are wild boars in the peace. it is a farm hunt tho, but lots of boars running around.

ratherbefishin
10-12-2010, 10:10 AM
I seem to remember the regs had a section on wild boar in BC way back,saying they were in the Frazer Valley and asking people to shoot them on sight.Whatever they were,they didn't survive though, which is surprizing-they are prolific breeders and the weather in BC isn't worse than where they were from in Germany and Russia.
But I agree, if they are present-the evidence is pretty clear-all rooted up areas

luckynuts
10-12-2010, 11:34 AM
I seem to remember the regs had a section on wild boar in BC way back,saying they were in the Frazer Valley and asking people to shoot them on sight.Whatever they were,they didn't survive though, which is surprizing-they are prolific breeders and the weather in BC isn't worse than where they were from in Germany and Russia.
But I agree, if they are present-the evidence is pretty clear-all rooted up areas

Wild boar ain't got nothing on Buffalo! you should see some of the old valleys around Marion lakes and what not. Used to have to trail ride through an actual tunnel of willow and buck brush now it is a clear cut of willow stumps and sink holes. You could see an honest 20-30 moose every trip with a pile of caribou and deer thrown in. Now a wasteland with the odd buffalo that hasn't made its way to the top of the sheep wintering grounds to have a dust bath. Open a GOS on them I say!

luckynuts
10-12-2010, 11:36 AM
there are wild boars in the peace. it is a farm hunt tho, but lots of boars running around.

Bridger you talking about out in Goodlo? I hear it's a hit and miss with the farmer. Was thinking about taking the boy out, just waiting for a contact number. I you have one would you mind pming me

Thanks

W.

300H&H
10-12-2010, 04:15 PM
FYI...I talked to the local CO about wild pigs.

I asked "if I see one can I shoot it" ?

His reply..."yes".

I have heard of them in BC. LML and Caribou.

I'd like some bacon...yummmmm !

leadpillproductions
10-13-2010, 06:37 PM
sounds like a lot of fun hunting pigs

gutpile
10-13-2010, 06:47 PM
I heard that there were wild pigs up chilliwack lake some years ago.

The Dawg
10-13-2010, 06:48 PM
I heard that there were wild pigs up chilliwack lake some years ago.

There's some up here too.

Just go to the Genny or Rum Jungle on a Saturday night :mrgreen:

r106
10-13-2010, 06:49 PM
this looks like fun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGC1tjHCSVE&feature=player_embedded

KB90
10-13-2010, 06:53 PM
There's some up here too.

Just go to the Genny or Rum Jungle on a Saturday night :mrgreen:

No No No you got it all wrong. Ladies night is thursday :mrgreen:

Bowzone_Mikey
10-13-2010, 06:57 PM
people actually still go there ??????

I went into the rum jungle alot when it was the Overdrive ..... and like twice when it became the "munk" ...cool mill in renos and the shitters didnt even get a coat of paint

unit91
10-14-2010, 01:03 PM
ha ha, thanks for the responses, odd that boar are not even mentioned in the H&T synopsis. At least not in mine anyway.

Ruggedroast
11-16-2010, 02:47 PM
I'm certainly interested in tracking some down in B.C. as well. The latest location I've heard about is up around pitt lake. I haven't spent much time there but I've also heard that's its very thick and hard to hunt them. If they are there though sounds like a good winter activity.

warnniklz
11-16-2010, 02:55 PM
when I was working on the cotton ranch as a ranch hand in riske creek our range cowboys said they were starting to see some wild pigs. That was back in the summer of ought 5... not sure what the situation is now

imagine if they bred with bear!!?!?!? manbearpig

Robinhood
11-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Re: wild boar in BC?

I believe it was a fairly small number that were around Harrison Lake, and heard that they were all harvested by hunters within the first year or two. It seems like lots of folks were interested in trying some wild bacon and chops. Though I've often wished to have an opportunity at hogs, I'm thankful they have not moved into the province in a big way as they are quite hard on the terrain and would no doubt compete with native species.

BCLongshot
11-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Wild boar ain't got nothing on Buffalo! you should see some of the old valleys around Marion lakes and what not. Used to have to trail ride through an actual tunnel of willow and buck brush now it is a clear cut of willow stumps and sink holes. You could see an honest 20-30 moose every trip with a pile of caribou and deer thrown in. Now a wasteland with the odd buffalo that hasn't made its way to the top of the sheep wintering grounds to have a dust bath. Open a GOS on them I say!

ha ha ha

I love it when somebody says what I wanna !

Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo

Whatch what you say ! ha ha ha

You'll hurt somebodies feelings. :evil: :wink:

BCLongshot
11-16-2010, 09:34 PM
lol lo Maybe I'm tired. I can't stop laughing.

Thinking of this big tough guy.................not.....

Ya eh goin' to hunt buffalo......Real dangerous.............

Buffalo farm.......Front end loader..........Oh man.............Up North eh

hoocli
08-06-2013, 10:08 PM
For those of you who want to come to saskatchewan to hunt wild boar. Visit http://wildboarsaskatchewan.ca and check out the regs and location data on them.

If you find the site useful please donate as it pays for my hosting costs.