PDA

View Full Version : What Camp supplies to take on first hunting trip?

Torch
10-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Hi Folks,

I 've got a nice newb question for all of you... I'm a new hunter and am going to be going on my first hunting trip very soon (before nov 1st) Any how My questions is :

What gear to take for our 3 day hunting camp? besides the regular fall winter camping stuff...

I have a 10 ft camper with all the fun creature comforts for "roughing" it lol

Tarps many of diffrent sizes
out door camp kitchen
propane tanks
propane stove
fire wood
03 honda rincon 650
jeep for chase vehicle
handheld radios + vhf radios
ropes
chairs
table
water jugs
portable speakers for the ipod...
portable car garage for "common" cooking area

Anything else? I've been camping for about 25 years and have most bases covered but my cold weather experience is limited as of late and of course I've never been hunting before so any tips on having a good base camp would be greatly appreciated....We will be heading up towards merrit (mu-3-18 ) 8)

Thanks for your help!!

Travis

shawnwells
10-11-2010, 02:31 PM
whiskey..and beer

Ozone
10-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Bum Wipe:wink:

meathunter
10-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Baby wipes also they definately come in handy when the chaffing starts to happen!

Torch
10-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Beer - check
Wiskey - Double check
Bum wipe - check
Baby wipes - check, finally my kids are useful ;)

shawnwells
10-11-2010, 03:02 PM
ha ha...those four things and a gun is really all you need...ha ha

pathfinder55
10-11-2010, 03:15 PM
I always have a pulley along after the first time trying to pull a rope over the meat pole....Peter

M.Dean
10-11-2010, 03:18 PM
I'd bet they didn't forget ass wipe!!! If possible think about things for gutting your game and hanging it. Maybe a meat saw, if not a Reciprocating saw works great, game bags, knives, I always carry a Olpha knife, the big one with extra blades, a good light weight axe, I use a Normark Skinning Axe, best one I've ever owned, lots of good rope, a small snatch block is great for getting the game up high on the pole, foot long nails for your cooking tent, to hold it on the ground in a blizzard maybe. If your going to have any of the small green propane cylinders with you, take a torch end, the one for soldering pipes and such, works great for lighting the camp fire at 4:30 in the morning. Decent lighting is a must in the cooking area,a generator, 12 volt, propane etc. Guns,ammo, license, tags should be easy,if you forget any of them your simply camping for 3 days, not hunting! Have a good trip.

Awishanew
10-11-2010, 03:41 PM
first aid kit shovel

The Dawg
10-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Flashlight/headlamps
Spare batteries
Knives/sharpener
Axe

ravensfoot
10-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Guns, Ammo, Tags... Everything else is for luxury.

Coleman Lantern, good for when you down somthin in the eve and you need to clean it after dark.

Lots of rope, works for when your spare jeep gets stuck and for pulling game.

Used Motor Oil, Used for starting your fire when the wood is real wet.

Camera, Used to take photos of it all.

Extra bottle of Vodka or Beer used as thank you gift to land owners, or people that help you out. (Gave a guy a case of beer one year when he gave us a jump start in the kootneys on a really cold morning)

Pen & Paper to write down all the things you want to bring next year.

Lastly, a garbage bag to pack all your garbage out with you when you leave.

Torch
10-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Most of the stuff is on my list....
I'm adding more rope and a few pulleys....
I'll remember to take me some jumper cables...
Spare booze (thank you gifts)
I have a bone saw,axes (sharpener),lanterns ,pen and paper
Always have garbage bags for camp cleanup (thats proper etiquette for me)
I have game bags...

I'm picking up foot long spikes for the tent/tarps, and bringing the shovel off my quad...

bearhunter338-06
10-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Whole sale sports has a handy little cheaklist on there web page you can print off, and add to as you go alond.

dime
10-12-2010, 10:41 AM
http://www.deerslayer1.com/My%20check%20%20list%20.html

ravensfoot
10-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Here's my list, most things will make sense, ignore the ones that don't. They're there to make you laugh...

http://www.ravensfoot.com/albums/hunting/HuntingList.pdf

Torch
10-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Great lists guys! Thats a great start... now on to the to do list before we leave...

Surrey Boy
10-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Baby wipes also they definately come in handy when the chaffing starts to happen!

Baby powder for the feet, crotch, collar, and armpits

Casagrande
10-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Here's my list, most things will make sense, ignore the ones that don't. They're there to make you laugh...

http://www.ravensfoot.com/albums/hunting/HuntingList.pdf
Just curious as to your definition of "even harder stuff"?:mrgreen:

Torch
10-13-2010, 08:54 PM
and don't forget your nutsack! LOL!!

Squirrelnuts
10-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Take one of these or put together something similar: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoSafetySecurity/EmergencyRoadKits/PRD~0092103P/Victor%252BTire%252BToolbox.jsp?locale=en

along with a 12v air compressor and a couple bottles of that "Slime" stuff. Getting multiple flats sucks when you only have one spare, and if your quad gets a flat it's an easy fix. I've "fixed" some pretty huge holes with those plugs (use as many as you have to). Better than nothing and not much more expensive.

(By the way, I'm not entirely sure the "Slime" is necessary; plugs alone are likely all you need).