PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar on quarters?

mudNblood
10-11-2010, 02:02 PM
This is the second year we've wiped our quarters down with water and vinegar on the advice of a hunting partner. Anybody else use this technique. Anybody use a tiger torch to singe the hair and kill any bacteria on their quarters? Our old butcher would use the torch before putting our deer in his cooler.

BromBones
10-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Usually mix a little vinger and warm water to give the meat a wipedown, then dry it off with a cloth which also picks up the last bit of hair that might be left.

Jelvis
10-11-2010, 02:21 PM
I wash hair off and dirt with winnagerr and wah wah .. Boom! Thar it tiz .. comes off real good
Course black pepper rubbed in for pepper steak and wow your taste buds are doing a tap dance on your tung ..
Jello ( Cream Cheese ) .. Cocoa nut Cream Pie .. I heard your wife makes a good banana cream ..

c.r.hunter
I almost always use vingar. I think it's espcially important if you get dirt on the meat. Helps kill any bacteria that might otherwise turn your meat. I've heard from some that it will wreck the meat or the meat won't tenderize while hanging and find that this is untrue. My game meat is always top notch and I've sworn by using vinagar since day one.

dukester
I was a butcher, and have never heard this. Vinegar is an acid which sours fresh meat unless cooked or other wise preserved by canning. I would not recommend wiping any fresh meat with vinegar. Fresh water if you want to clean it, to prevent flies use black pepper and cotton game bags. For extended period in warm temp. build a smoke smudge in the shade under your game.

swampthing
10-11-2010, 02:38 PM
I have always used it. I tried some this year on my sons augst moose hunt to try to keep the flies off. It helped a bit. When I am cuttin and wrappin I clean up any meat that needs it and my knives and such.

ratherbeshooting
10-11-2010, 02:53 PM
I always use a sprayer with 50:50 vinegar/water. Spray it on, give the meat a wipe, bag and hang. I think it works great.

peashooter
10-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Nair gets rid of unsightly hair.

308Lover
10-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Have used a MILD solution of vinegar and water to wipe down meat. Also used the torch to get rid of hair (rather than Nair--which is perfumed, and so a bit unsettling). Always left the meat dry after wiping down, and before the cheezecloth went on. Never a problem.

Big Lew
10-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Have used a MILD solution of vinegar and water to wipe down meat. Also used the torch to get rid of hair (rather than Nair--which is perfumed, and so a bit unsettling). Always left the meat dry after wiping down, and before the cheezecloth went on. Never a problem.
x2 and I use the good, heavy-duty bags now rather then the cheap thin ones which can rip easily and flies can find places porous enough to lay eggs.

afors
10-11-2010, 05:56 PM
I just asked my butcher about it today and he said that he recommends wiping it down with a vinegar and water solution when it is fresh, and black pepper will help with any fly problems.

Jelvis
10-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Winnagerrr has saved many a butcher from meat souring early saves money by helping clean and keep meat fresh for to sell to the local ladies for supper time. Sprinkle some spices on it, some Montreal steak, and ah you got friends that are hungry lol .. Vine a grrrrr .. Wine a grrr .. beer washed .. marinated .. aged for daze ..
Jelly ( Back Strap Steak ) Sizzlin smellin swellin dine inn some Frank's Hot Sauce .. Fried onion .. Gar Lick .. POW!

twoSevenO
10-11-2010, 06:12 PM
I think we need a translator for Jelvis on HBC .... is there an iPhone app i can download maybe? :P

mudNblood
10-11-2010, 09:00 PM
I think we need a translator for Jelvis on HBC .... is there an iPhone app i can download maybe? :P
I just chuckle while readin Jel's comments, sometimes i can't figure it out but when i'm really drunk it all seems to makes perfectly good sense.:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

ravensfoot
10-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Has Jel been spraying too much Vinegar, He's funny.

I Always use a 1/2-1/2 mixture of vinegar as a last stage. Never used pepper or torch but I liker the idea. I mostly give the game bag a good dose of spary for good measure hoping it will also deter any critters from getting interested. Do all my own butchering, learned vinegar trick from a butcher and always have had perfect tasting meat.

Game Bag trick. Take the old (washed) bed sheets and sew two together. Better than cheese cloth, stronger and is reusable (if the wife will let you put the bloodied sheets in the wash). Pillow cases make good bags for those separated quarters.

Allen50
10-11-2010, 10:02 PM
you do not need any thing but warm to hot water, and clean it real good that keeps it good, pepper will help keep flys off and good meat sacking or good cheese cloth and get it to a cooler asap, oh yea how do i know, worked in slaughter house for over 10 years and been hunting since i was oh just a little one,, but each to his owne,, just clean it and get all blood off,, most importain, ok good luck..

moose2
10-11-2010, 11:06 PM
WE usually clean our quarters with a vin/water solution as well, let them air dry then put on cheese cloth. It has always worked well for us.
MIKE

luckynuts
10-12-2010, 09:20 AM
WE usually clean our quarters with a vin/water solution as well, let them air dry then put on cheese cloth. It has always worked well for us.
MIKE

Ditto, Have been doing it for many many years. Peel the hide off cut away any bloodshot extra fat. wipe down with a vin/water mix. Let air dry for a day or until a good skin/crust has formed and sack them up.

W.

bearhunter338-06
10-12-2010, 10:10 AM
I have been washing meat in vinegar and water since I was a kid. also have been sprinkling pepper on the meat and then depending where we are bag it in chease cloth. If we are close enough to a butcher we'll take it streight in

oldtimer
10-12-2010, 10:55 AM
This is the second year we've wiped our quarters down with water and vinegar on the advice of a hunting partner. Anybody else use this technique. Anybody use a tiger torch to singe the hair and kill any bacteria on their quarters? Our old butcher would use the torch before putting our deer in his cooler.

Yes to both methods, for a long time. Mike

ravensfoot
10-12-2010, 11:46 AM
I've noticed that the vinegar/water seems to help with rinsing the clotted blood, seems to thin the blood to make it easier for cleaning.

bforce750
10-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Don't use any kind of animal Douce,but a pressure washer cleans them up perfect of any hair ,blood and dirt before you hang it and dry it

.330 Dakota
10-12-2010, 01:47 PM
I wipe mine down with the garden hose

.330 Dakota
10-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Don't use any kind of animal Douce,but a pressure washer cleans them up perfect of any hair ,blood and dirt before you hang it and dry it

A little rough on grouse isnt it? LOL

bforce750
10-12-2010, 01:50 PM
A little rough on grouse isnt it? LOL

You dont even need to step on the wings and pull on its feet:-D

.330 Dakota
10-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Cool...................

DR.DOUG
10-12-2010, 01:59 PM
For years we wiped our meat down with a vinegar solution until our recent change of butcher told us that it actually speeds up the souring of meat! Never had a problem before or since so I guess either way works, just get it clean and keep it cool..

Ddog
10-12-2010, 03:55 PM
always have and always will when hanging my animals. 50/50 solution.

pg83
10-12-2010, 05:10 PM
I have never done this in the past, but I was told by a butcher in town that it helps to dry the meat when you are hanging in less than idea conditions. Don't know the truth of it myself, never had a problem with meat going green.