PDA

View Full Version : 6x1.5 Elk

Rhyno
10-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Hey. Recently got back from an elk hunt in the Peace. Started out similar to last year, meaning many miles on the boots with zero elk sightings. The 3rd afternoon I was sneaking in to a promising area that held lots of fresh sign. Just as I was starting to approach “the zone” when I noticed a quad parked in the bushes. Not wanting to interfere with their hunt I turned around and high tailed it back to the truck. I was bouncing around between two different locations in my head and finally settled on walking a new cutline I had yet to check out. So I popped over a small rise and was 100 yards from the truck when a bull walks out 80 yards away. In about 0.2 seconds I had my scope cover off and was sitting on my butt. Gun up, safety off, more than 3 points, held on vitals BOOM...He did a big shutter at the shot and turned around and head back the direction he came. I was shaking, it happen so fast it seemed surreal. I walked down and set my pack where I thought he went in to the bushes. I looked everywhere, no blood. The bile started to rise in my throat, did I miss? Did I rush the shot? So once I calmed down I headed in his direction of travel, and there he was my first bull elk. Something wasn’t quite right he had 6 points on one side all right but the other was broken off after the 1st. So I ended up with a 6x1.5.... If this animal could tell stories he would have some good ones, other than breaking off one side of his rack in a fight I also discover the tip of another elks antler broken off in his skull plate as well as 2 old bullets resting along his scapula from years past. Despite this he was a healthy animal; his quaters went 610 at the butchers. Pressure is off for meat in the freezer, but looking forward to my late season moose draw!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/Elk30.jpg

BlacktailStalker
10-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Good deal, any bigger pics or pics of the skull and projectiles ?

610lbs just quarters... easily the biggest elk I've ever heard of :confused:

Bear Chaser
10-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Congratulations. Hopefully some good groceries there.

shawnwells
10-11-2010, 02:01 PM
holy smokes...a tough old bull with a story thats crazy...he was probably glad you put him out of his misery...

Rhyno
10-11-2010, 02:05 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Elk211.jpg

Rhyno
10-11-2010, 02:07 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Elk30.jpg

Big7
10-11-2010, 02:32 PM
congrats...nice bull!

kootenayelkslayer
10-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Sweet bull. What a cool old warrior. Congratulations on your first elk.
Quarters went 610 pounds at the butcher? Doesn't sound quite right.

lunatic
10-11-2010, 02:39 PM

Why not? I had one 5 years ago that hung at 720# on the hook!

bigneily
10-11-2010, 02:43 PM
610 now one at 720? just wondering how many beers you pumped down that day.But hell anything's possible i guess:mrgreen:..

meathunter
10-11-2010, 02:44 PM
great looking bull... congrats

Rhyno
10-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Don’t know what to say....I have no reason to exaggerate, full size quarters (with ribs) went 610. Butcher said it was one of the largest he had seen.

lunatic
10-11-2010, 02:59 PM
610 now one at 720? just wondering how many beers you pumped down that day.But hell anything's possible i guess:mrgreen:..

Well for one thing I don't drink.....for another I have no reason to BS....however if you would like to call me a liar I will gladly PM you my address where you can do so face to face :wink:

bigneily
10-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Hey just pokin some fun:mrgreen: ,Cool bull no matter what the weight , Good going.....Neil

bigneily
10-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Well for one thing I don't drink.....for another I have no reason to BS....however if you would like to call me a liar I will gladly PM you my address where you can do so face to face :wink:
Easy easy there big fella i've seen some big bull's before, and also packed em. But 720 that seems pretty extreme...

tomahawk
10-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Been in on 3 Rosie bulls and several Rockies.

Rosies are generally bigger bodied, weights for bulls that I know of dressed hanging at the local butchers in Nanaimo are all between 565 lbs and anywhere's up to a buddy's monster which was a record book bull which weighed 695 lbs. The big Rosies are every bit as big as a big moose body from my experience.

That elk you got has a good size body on it for sure.

lunatic
10-11-2010, 07:14 PM
SMALLEST bull i've taken in the Peace area was a 5x5 last year that went 530#.

Fisher-Dude
10-11-2010, 08:37 PM
It's likely that bull didn't break off - he probably grew gimped because of his injuries. It's quite common with wounded or injured animals to grow a gimped antler.

Congrats on filling the freezer!

Johnny G1
10-11-2010, 08:40 PM
All the same ole story, butcher likely had his thumb on the scale???? LoL

todbartell
10-11-2010, 09:41 PM
nice elk

my brother in law's bull this year went 615 lbs, big 5x5 from the Peace

moose2
10-12-2010, 02:28 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/GetAttachment_2_.jpg

My partner got this one last year in the peace. Skinned , halved with no head it weighed 543 lbs

trigger
10-12-2010, 07:02 AM
wow. you sure look like a fella i know. except the guy i know only catches big pink salmon.lol
congrats Ryan. Good to see you on the sight buddy.

willyqbc
10-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Seems to me I read that when you remove the guts, hide, head, bottom of the legs etc....basically get it butcher ready, you lose roughly 40% of live weight. If the authors bull was quartered by splitting the spine and leaving all bone in that would put his bulls live weight around 850#......doesn't seem unreasonable to me. The bull that hung 720# at the butchers should be a little over 1000#'s live weight. Given the availabilty of top quality chewin these elk get up in the Peace I think a 1000# animal is certainly within the realm of possibility.

Congrats on the bull!

Chris

lunatic
10-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Seems to me I read that when you remove the guts, hide, head, bottom of the legs etc....basically get it butcher ready, you lose roughly 40% of live weight. If the authors bull was quartered by splitting the spine and leaving all bone in that would put his bulls live weight around 850#......doesn't seem unreasonable to me. The bull that hung 720# at the butchers should be a little over 1000#'s live weight. Given the availabilty of top quality chewin these elk get up in the Peace I think a 1000# animal is certainly within the realm of possibility.

Congrats on the bull!

Chris

Yes, this bull that went 720 was split down the spine and bone in minnus the bottom of legs. It was bigger than any of the moose I had taken in previous years.

Fisher-Dude
10-12-2010, 12:24 PM
I went to a butcher for several years that weighed in my deer about 35% higher than the similar sized deer I take to my current butcher. That previous butcher retired early. Go figure. :?

The Muskwa bull I shot was a large bodied 6 point, with 9 1/2" bases, and weighed 455 on the hook at an honest butcher's shop. :wink:

luckynuts
10-12-2010, 01:27 PM
( Too all the guys worried about what it weighed) Who F-ing cares! An Animals weight that is estimated is just that, estimated. As like the horn/antler scores usually a bit bigger/heavier. It's like the guy who shot the 500# black bear on opening day in the spring season. If you think he's wrong great keep it to yourself why does it always end up in a pissing match. As guys get more experience under their belt or just older:wink: their posts get more accurate. Pics are deceiving. Enjoy the fact that a guy is sharing a hunting story with pictures.

Hey FD when did yuo shoot your bull? end of season. I know when i have taken a bull moose in late season he's lost a lot of body fat and is pretty skinny from all the running and gunning during the rut.

Hey congrats on a nice bull. A good friend of mine took what was the 6th biggest rosie in the world and hanging it went over 700#. A bull moose this year we harvested had another bulls piece of antler stuck in his paddle was quite the fight.

W.

lunatic
10-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Well considering i'm not a snot nosed youngster and have not been for many years, you can believe it or not....I really could care less. This is an honest weight weighed by me....not a butcher....on an accurate scale.

DR.DOUG
10-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Had a beauty 6x6 last year that was 587lb on the hook and the butcher said it was the second heaviest he had ever weighed. that's after 25+ years in the business

kootenayelkslayer
10-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Funny how just about every elk everyone on here has taken in to the butcher is the biggest elk the butcher has ever seen...?? I don't know if the butcher is just effin' with you guys or what. Maybe just buttering you up so you don't question the outrageous bill!!
If we're talking about just 'quarters', which is what I thought we were talking about, the biggest bull I've ever seen was just over 430 pounds, it was the biggest bodied elk I've seen. You guys must be talking about an elk that's in halves.

The Muskwa bull I shot was a large bodied 6 point, with 9 1/2" bases, and weighed 455 on the hook at an honest butcher's shop. :wink:
That sounds more like it.

Anyway, congrats again on the old warrior.

Vader
10-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Had one weigh at 565.. next to a 2200lb Brahma/Brown swiss cross bull at the butchers... looked like a 120 lb whitey.. The Brahma was my grandfathers..

moose2
10-12-2010, 10:06 PM
It looks right to me that elk is a pig , the neck alone must weigh 100+ I have seen some heavy elk shot in the peace. Great job on a heavy bull elk.
MIKE

Fisher-Dude
10-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Hey FD when did yuo shoot your bull? end of season. I know when i have taken a bull moose in late season he's lost a lot of body fat and is pretty skinny from all the running and gunning during the rut.

Sept 4. He had barely begun to piss on himself, and was in prime shape. :wink:

The largest bodied elk I've taken from the E Kootenays is a 323" bull that weighed in at 430 lbs on the hook.

BCrams
10-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Here's an honest weight (wasn't a huge body). All quarters, backstraps and neck meat. 232 lbs at the butcher......another big bull that was 338" was around 400 lbs. Seems like an honest weight when you're paying by the pound!! Another good bull I took was in the high 300's for weight.

Shooter Jr.
10-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Wow, nice bull! Got any pictures of the bullets or tine in the skull? that'd be neat to see.

mark
10-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Good deal, any bigger pics or pics of the skull and projectiles ?

610lbs just quarters... easily the biggest elk I've ever heard of :confused:

I havnt read all the replies, so Im sure this has been said....... but peace elk have huge bodies! We have taken a few around 600 lbs quartered and trimmed! The biggest was 680, so I see no problem with that number!

Nice elk guy! Congrads! I shot one today also! :shock:

mark
10-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Sept 4. He had barely begun to piss on himself, and was in prime shape. :wink:

The largest bodied elk I've taken from the E Kootenays is a 323" bull that weighed in at 430 lbs on the hook.

FD I can tell ya, the peace country elk bodies are 1.5 times the size of kootney or okanagan elk!
Antler size means nothing!

sawmill
10-13-2010, 04:56 AM
The 2 cow elk the wife and I took wieghed 295 and 305 on the hook clean.Tasty critters too:mrgreen:

lunatic
10-13-2010, 12:02 PM
I havnt read all the replies, so Im sure this has been said....... but peace elk have huge bodies! We have taken a few around 600 lbs quartered and trimmed! The biggest was 680, so I see no problem with that number!

Nice elk guy! Congrads! I shot one today also! :shock:

Thank-you ! At least someone who has actually seen and hunted Peace country bulls knows what they are talking about.

eaglesj
10-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Kind of like saying someone who shot a moose in Alaska is BSing about the weight because all you've ever seen were moose from southern BC.

Most animals are larger further north to decrease their surface area:volume ratio. That way when it gets cold (no I'm not talking -5 like it gets in the south), the animal does not lose as much body heat. Evolution and Adaptation.

kootenayelkslayer
10-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Kind of like saying someone who shot a moose in Alaska is BSing about the weight because all you've ever seen were moose from southern BC.

Most animals are larger further north to decrease their surface area:volume ratio. That way when it gets cold (no I'm not talking -5 like it gets in the south), the animal does not lose as much body heat. Evolution and Adaptation.

Guys are suggesting that these northern elk are ~50-80% larger than an elk in the kootenays... well if that's the case, maybe we should start classifying them as a different sub-species ;)

Caveman
10-16-2010, 07:02 PM
My 6X5 from the Peace this year quartered at the butcher, bottom of the leg removed totaled 541lbs. I'm sure they come bigger, so an old warrior at 610lbs, I have no problem with

lunatic
10-16-2010, 10:56 PM
Guys are suggesting that these northern elk are ~50-80% larger than an elk in the kootenays... well if that's the case, maybe we should start classifying them as a different sub-species ;)

We all must lie !:???:

kootenayelkslayer
10-16-2010, 11:15 PM
We all must lie !:???:

I'm just reitterating the numbers that have been quoted previously. Pretty amazing if its true...
That means there's roughly the same discrepency in weights between Kootenay elk and northern elk as there is between Shiras and Alaska/yukon moose. Pretty interesting...

eaglesj
10-19-2010, 07:28 PM

Then I guess you would need to know what classifies individuals as a different sub-species. Size is not usually one of them. But it would sound cool wouldn't it.... Then we could request that regulations allow us to shoot one of each.