PDA

View Full Version : Question to all elk hunters

dragonslayer
10-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Just trying to find out if 6 pt bulls are open only, how many hunters just count the top three, or do you count all six. I personally count only the top three and never been wrong. Your comments on this?

shawnwells
10-10-2010, 11:57 AM
im so paranoid i will try to count all 6 50 times...

JDR
10-10-2010, 12:07 PM
It's certainly a good indicator, but not 100% reliable. I've seen bulls with three up top and only two down below...so I think you're taking a risk.

Kody94
10-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Counting the top three is not fool-proof. It really depends how much risk you are willing to take.

I usually only count the top three. That said, for a long time I've been observing elk more than killing elk...have not been inclined to put a bullet in one for a while. Should I get the urge to pull the trigger on one, its more likely than not I'll count all 6. The odds are pretty low of there being only one brow on both sides, especially with a mature bull, but its a risk that the "shooter" has to decide to take on his own. I certainly would never advise any hunter to only count the top 3.

kodiak10
10-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Never count the top three only.I was on a hunt were the person did that and the bull never grew his g-2 was not good,turned him self in and lost the bull. Also last year saw a big bull with no g-3s.COUNT ALL 6.

Ferenc
10-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Region 7 has a 3pt or better(in certain zones) and at times I look for two points above the sabre and or sometimes called the dagger.....but I always count them all before I TAKE THE SHOT..... most of the time if two pts are above this point it will be a sixer.......remember ground counting doesnt count!!!!!!

Rattler
10-10-2010, 12:51 PM
In my opinion, you need to always count 6 points. There are lots of bulls that don't grow their G2's or G3's (found sheds). I had a bull come in two years ago and I counted 4, 5 and 6, but could not count his first 3. I didn't get that bull because I wasn't sure if he a 6 point or not.

s-dog
10-10-2010, 01:21 PM
One thing that no one has mentioned, these big bulls break offpoints when fighting and if that point isnt there you just cant assume it is.ALWAYS make 100 % sure..it is all our responsibilities as hunters to do this.This should be exercised in all harvests.Take your time,you will be rewarded..:mrgreen:

lilhoss
10-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Just trying to find out if 6 pt bulls are open only, how many hunters just count the top three, or do you count all six. I personally count only the top three and never been wrong. Your comments on this?
You should clarify what you mean
Seriously? My comment on that is it is unethical.So you shoot a large bull moose and confirm later is is niether tripalm or 10 points?shoot a small bull moose and find out it's not an immie?4 point and better buck?Sow with cubs?
No guessing at all!Confirm your game before shooting.From the regs..

Elk - Six Points or Greater Bull - means any
bull having at least six tines on one antler.
You are admitting to shooting an animal that may or may not be legal.

Ddog
10-10-2010, 02:48 PM
its actually very unethical to not count six on one side, cant believe you are actually saying thats all you do, hope your not teaching anyone how to hunt and count points.

dragonslayer
10-10-2010, 03:06 PM
its actually very unethical to not count six on one side, cant believe you are actually saying thats all you do, hope your not teaching anyone how to hunt ad count points.

no this is not all I do, I also count points , but just threw the question out there

moosegoof
10-10-2010, 03:10 PM
in some areas they can be missing a eye or ear guard(g1 or g2) the top is a good quick reference but make sure.:-D

kootenayelkslayer
10-10-2010, 03:12 PM

It's definitely playing with fire counting the top 3 only. Once in a while a bull will be missing one of the lower three. I think I've only ever seen one bull that should've been a 6, but was a 5. They're out there though.
I usually try to get a count on the top 3 initially to know if I have to take the bull seriously or not, but certainly do a complete 6-count a couple times before shooting.

Mark_S
10-10-2010, 03:15 PM
I have picked up a fair number of sheds in the past that have the top 3 but are missing an eye or ear guard. I always count all 6.

lilhoss
10-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Your original post reads in part
"I personally count only the top three and never been wrong."
and does not say
"no this is not all I do, I also count points"
That's why I wanted you to clarify your post.It sounds like you see 3 on the upper part of the antlers,let fly,drop the animal,and for some reason you haven't killed an animal to date,that has been under the 6 points.Sounded like an improper identification method to me.

Ddog
10-10-2010, 03:26 PM
like lilhoss said, its not in your original post. never been wrong? be careful you will be one day and then what?

TIKKA TIGER
10-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Do the right thing... be ethical... count all 6 tines before squeezing the trigger...

dragonslayer
10-10-2010, 04:34 PM
like lilhoss said, its not in your original post. never been wrong? be careful you will be one day and then what?

I perhaps did not post my question well, I perhaps should have added the fact that I do look at the only three up top to really give me an idea if it is a 6 pt, then I count.Now if G 2 0r 3 are missing on one side due to fighting,this still makes it a legal bull, i would really have a hard time believing that I would run across a 6 pt with no lowers to fill in the gap on the other side, in otherwords it would still be a 6pt.

moose2
10-10-2010, 04:49 PM
I hunt/shed hunt in an a area where I see or find a fair # of elk antlers missing the G 2. Also any of the bottom 3 could be broken during the rut. I shot a 6 x 3 a few years back due to broken tines. I would count everything myself.
MIKE

Jager-mister?
10-10-2010, 06:20 PM
I just came back from a hunt where the guys warned me that there were Elk around that were missing one of the brow tines, be sure to count all six points! The tops were there, but would be missing a brow tine making it a 5 pt. Sure intitially look at the top three but confirm all the rest before pulling the trigger!!!!

Brambles
10-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Bull I killed this year was missing his seconds, but with the spotting scope I found another point to make him a 6er that he was trying his best to break off, sucks for him. That sealed his fate.

boyd050
10-10-2010, 08:16 PM
the Ek has lots of elk that are missing a brow tine... seems to be a genetic problem with some elk ... I've seen some I'm sure were descendents to some I saw years ago that had 3 up top but only 2 where there should be 3.... so gotta count!!!

MIL720
10-10-2010, 09:04 PM
its actually very unethical to not count six on one side, cant believe you are actually saying thats all you do, hope your not teaching anyone how to hunt and count points.
I couldn't agree more.....ALWAYS COUNT 6

bear buster
10-10-2010, 09:28 PM
was out just tonight, seen a good bull at last light, we have a 3pt or better up here, but I could not be sure of points, so I let him go. I am sure he was a decent bull, he was fairly tall, wide, but because of fading light and unsure of points, he will live another day.(tomorrow he may not be so lucky) way too many things that could go wrong, big 2 point, maybe his rack grew cuz of elkoholism, broken or missing points? it all comes down to ethics, I know lots of guys who would have shot, thats why I hunt solo, most of the time.

chinook
10-10-2010, 10:33 PM

Lots of jumping to conclusions here guys. He says he has not been wrong counting the top three, meaning they have all been 6's. He never said he shot anything based on the top 3, just that he has not been wrong. For all we know he could be taking pics in the pre season counting the 3, noticing that they all happened to be 6's and is seeing what the rest of us do and how ethical we are.

Good to see everyone is on the right page for making sure the count stacks up before pulling the trigger though.

mark
10-10-2010, 11:13 PM

Very foolish!!! :confused:
Probably the reason we find dead 5 points every year! :evil:
Elk can be missing any of the typical 6 points!
I would of killed a "HUGE" elk already this year if I used your system, but I never saw his bottoms and he bolted.
Much better to be safe than sorry!
I sure hope you dont teach anyone else your ways!

sawmill
10-11-2010, 04:16 AM
There are a lot of bulls alive because I couldn`t see 6 on a side.Never just count 3.Stupid idea.

bridger
10-11-2010, 04:50 AM
years ago when bugling seminars were just getting off the ground I attended put on by an international tv host. he told us to count the top three and shoot. two years later in idaho using that system he shot a five point and was charged. count 'em all and you won't be sorry.

Moose72
10-11-2010, 05:47 AM
I perhaps did not post my question well, I perhaps should have added the fact that I do look at the only three up top to really give me an idea if it is a 6 pt, then I count.Now if G 2 0r 3 are missing on one side due to fighting,this still makes it a legal bull, i would really have a hard time believing that I would run across a 6 pt with no lowers to fill in the gap on the other side, in otherwords it would still be a 6pt.This is legal??

BCrams
10-11-2010, 10:09 AM

Make sure you do the full count. Count 6 and you're good to go.

How about you answer the big question - what are you going to do when you shoot that big 5 point with a missing eye guard because you only counted the top 3 and 'assumed' he was a 6 pt???

Stone Sheep Steve
10-11-2010, 10:14 AM
If counting to 6 is hard for some people, just count to three......3 points on the bottom.....and 3 on the top(sword point and up):wink:.

SSS