PDA

View Full Version : Playing Hookie

luckynuts
10-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Time had once again slipped by as I found myself busy with uncompleted projects around the house and having to pick-up extra shifts at work to help out with the vacation coverage and unexpected emergencies. As this is Liam’s first year holding a junior hunting license we headed out looking for moose in August. Though with limited time and starting late in the 2 week season we found the moose already pressured into deeper pockets in the bush. As September 1st rolled around Elk had opened up and we put in a couple of solid efforts but to no avail mostly due to the wet weather.

Trying a new area this day Liam and I snuck into a little meadow that was adjacent to a much bigger slash. We discovered lots of fresh elk track and even bull rubs. We began calling as the sun came up over the tree line. However the effort proved fruitless as we did not generate any responses to our calling or even glimpse a single elk. Suddenly Liam say’s “Dad” do we have a doe tag? I replied does won’t be open for some time yet, why? Cause there are two does down in the slash. I spot them and lift up the binoculars to have a closer look. Wow! I could not believe it two great looking whitetail bucks heading into the timber to bed down. Quick Liam, get your gun up on the shooting stick. As Liam focused on getting his gun steady and trying to find the deer in the scope I pulled out the range finder and took a reading 169yds. We were a bit to slow getting ready and the deer had walked behind a log pile as we anxiously waited to step out from behind it I told Liam that the 2nd deer was a big heavy 4x4 and the first deer was a smaller 5x5. Soon the 5x5 walked out and I said Liam do you see him? Yeah Dad but I want the bigger deer. The bigger 4x4 never did step out after the 5x5, rather walked straight into the timber behind the log pile offering us no shot. Oh how I was kicking myself for telling him the second deer was bigger. We went home that day with no deer, though still a great day of father and son bonding and the fact we had seen 2 good bucks was exciting in itself. I looked forward to our next adventure in this new spot.

As I found myself preparing for my upcoming moose hunt. I could not forget the adventure Liam and I had just a week before. Looking at my schedule, I soon realized it as going to be tough for the two of us to get out again. With hockey starting up and school now in full swing, I made a decision that I would soon cherish forever.

Playing Hookie

After spending 7 days straight in camp, Wednesday morning finally rolled around and Liam and I found ourselves up bright and early. We packed our lunch and donned our hunting gear and set off to our special spot. We arrived just in time, the sun was just piercing the dark skies and the ground was damp from a light rain the night before. As we hopped out of the truck I soon realized the wind was not in our favor. Actually it prevented us from entering into the area without letting our scent be carried right into the heart of where we wanted to hunt. I told Liam we should go try somewhere else though he was adamant he wanted to hunt this area and I gave in to his pleading knowing better.

As we slipped into our spot I could feel the cross wind lap at the back of my neck from time to time, with dampened spirits I hung in there for Liam. After glassing for an hour we determined there was no deer present. I told Liam they probably got our scent and vacated the area. Liam was determined to make the most of the day and asked if we could call for elk. I agreed as it was still early and the morning air had not warmed up yet. After several cow calls we got a response! I couldn’t believe it, we had a bull coming in and the wind was coming straight from the west now so I was beginning to think we may have a chance. I got Liam set up and called just enough to keep the bull coming in our direction. We could now hear the bull in the timber he was getting closer and I was getting more excited. He was just inside the timber line when all of a sudden he barked and thundered back down into dark forest. Talk about being deflated the wind beat us again though we knew we were playing against the odds. I told Liam we might as well just walk down and out into the slash and make a big loop back to the truck the sun was making it’s ascent into the sky and it would be soon be too hot to do any hunting. Liam agreed, I was happy for his enthusiasm. As we made our away through the slash the wind now hard against our faces we began to heat up with all of the walking. We stopped to shed some of our clothing when all of a sudden 3 whitetail deer jumped up from the center of the willow choked slash and started to bolt away from us. It did not take me long to realize two of these deer were the ones we had hunted 9 days prior.

Liam get your gun up quick! I planted the shooting stick in the ground the deer were determined to put as much distance between us as they could, I started to doe bleat with my mouth when one of the deer stopped and wheezed loudly to warn any other unsuspecting deer nearby. I lifted my bino’s thinking this one was a doe, Liam it’s a buck get on it! Quick Liam it’s going to run. Though to my surprise the deer stood there stomping it’s front hove. The 250 savage barked sending a 120gr silvertip bullet on it’s way. As I stood there watching the deer’s vitals through the binoculars’ to determine the lethality of the shot. I heard the Smack! The deer flipped over tried to get up once but then expired from a well placed shot. I marked the spot where the deer went down pointed out to the spot to show Liam and had him stay focused on the spot with instructions to send another bullet on its way if he saw the deer get up. I slowly made my way towards where I had seen the deer go down in a semi circle so to not get in the way of Liams line of sight. Upon reaching a high stump and making sure the deer was not going to get up I called for Liam. We both walked in together looking for the deer. Liam was so excited he walked literally almost right over it Twice! Before, he was finally able to hold onto his prize. I let out a big YaHoooooo, one of the proudest moments in my life. Liam made an excellent 127yd neck shot on his deer. After a series of pictures we began field dressing the deer together.

Unfortunately Liam shot this deer several kilometer’s from the truck and with a willow/alder choked slash dragging became difficult very fast. I made a decision to cut the deer in half and pack it out in 2 pieces. Back at the truck we took a much needed water break and then started with the high 5’s and hugs.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/IMG_00035.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_00018.jpg
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_00043.jpg
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_00064.jpg
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_00025.jpg

Hope you liked the story Pictures coming soon!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-10-2010, 05:42 AM
Excellent account of a special father/son moment, Wade!!

Congrats to both of you and looking forward to the pics!!

SSS

lilhoss
10-10-2010, 05:55 AM
That's what it's all about for me.My son is going to be 10 in November and he has been with me out in the field for a while now.Not just about taking a deer.Those memories will last a lifetime for both of you.Great story,thanx for sharing.

swampthing
10-10-2010, 07:59 AM
Its pretty cool being the "guide" and putting your "client" on his first animal. Congrats to you and your son.

knighthunter
10-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Great story and to be hunting with your son is also the greatest hunting expirence.

APOSTLEsix
10-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Nice job, which one did you end up getting the big 4x4 or the smaller 5x5? Pics?

luckynuts
10-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Sorry about the pics didn't realize I saved them so big will try and correct tonight when I get home from work. My son ended up shooting a 4x4 but neither of the 2 we had hunted previously. He was much much smaller though still my son's first deer. Thanks for the kind words.

HARDICAT
10-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Good work dad! Congratulations Liam. Looking forward to the pics

Squamch
10-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Way to go dad and Liam!
Some seriously treasured memories of playin hooky and goin hunting with the old man. My grade 7 teacher hated me for it...show up for the first three days of school then disappear for two weeks...

Bear Chaser
10-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Great job. Congratulations to you both.

Islandbowhunter
10-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Amazing story about an amazing hunt. Nice work Liam, awesome moment to be able to share with your father!

luckynuts
10-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Finally pics are posted.

W.

luckynuts
10-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Ok pics are here.. Thanks Marc:redface::redface::oops::oops: Just re-read your pic install instructions.... Can I say Humble Pie. Not the best quality as they were taken with a disposable. Saving up for an all weather point and shoot.

W.

whitetailsheds
10-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Great write up Wade! Congrats to you and Liam. Have to sneak up there and have a look at this deer. Good job Liam!

ydouask
10-13-2010, 08:02 AM
Thank you for taking the time to put such a wonderful story together. Liam, you are a very lucky young man, give your Dad a hug !