PDA

View Full Version : Brand NEw Duck Hunter

mklaver
10-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Hi Folks - this is a cut and paste from the Newbies forum from a while ago. I reported on my first hunt this am just now, so I want to post that here for all you waterfowl hunters.

Cheers,

Michael

---------------------------

ok, so the one thing I figured out is that I need to post a joke before I can ask questions.....

Ok, so i am a brand new hunter - 1st hunt was a dove hunting trip this month in Yuma AZ - loved it and want to learn how to hunt duck and geese here in Vancouver - I live in White Rock. As soon as my PAL arrives in the mail - it apparantly has been sent to printing - I will run out and by a Remington 12g 870. So, I will be posting some duck hunting questions later.....

ok here is the joke:

a duck was arrested in the fountain in City Hall and appeared before the Judge. The Judge said "State your name,what you are charged with and how you plead". The duck said my name is "Quack" and I am charged with blowing bubbles in the fountain and I plead guilty. Ok - 6 months probation. Next! Another duck. Same instructions from the Judge. the duck says - my name is "Quack-Quack and I was caught blowing bubbles in the fountain and I plead quilty. Ok says the Judge - 6 months probation like the other guy. Next!

Now a 3rd duck walks in and the Judge says "ok I'm gonna stop you right there - let me guess. Your name is "Quack-Quack-Quack" and you were caught blowing bubbles in the fountain, right?"

No your honor - my name is "Bubbles". :grin:

ok, so when I ask some questions in a day or two - like where in Ladner can I hunt ducks - remember I told the obligatory.

Looking forward to learning lots......and maybe even shooting a duck or two

Michael

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/misc/progress.gif

mklaver
10-09-2010, 11:27 AM
And here is my report.....any help/advice/mentoring is always appreciated
------------------------
Ok folks, so I was out to Boundry Bay this am. I had pre-scouted the end of 112th, but there is no public parking there and I didn't feel like walking all the way from where there is, so I went to the end of 104th and walked about 800m east of the entrance and hunkered down on the sea side of the dyke. It was still black when I got there. I know that it is not open until 30 mins before dawn, which was 7:24 this am. It's funny - right on time at about 6:55 the first one flys by me. I wasn't ready so he got away, but now I am alert. A few too far away fly by and then a group of 4 or 5 go by me and I open fire and drop the first one I shot at. Awesome! It was then that I learned my first tough lesson - be properly equipped. I was hoping to wade a bit in my gum boots but to no avail - he was too far out. Luckily he was dead before he hit, so he wasn't flopping around and suffering. I feel badly - I don't want to shoot ducks jusy for the sport of killing them - I want to bring them home and eat them and have a real point to it. I definitely will get some chest waders. I stayed out until 9:15 or so. Just as I was packing up I looked up and a flock of geese was flying right at me and real low! Then, just before they got into range they too a hard right hand turn - smart. So, I walked back to my car and when I was just about there a nice flock of ducks came close by, but I was pretty sure I was within 150 yds of the building there, so I though better of it. I also passed on some hittable birds, either out over the water or back over the farmer's field - separated from me by a huge ditch. Again not wanting to hit something that I didn't have a decent chance of retrieving.

So I went home empty handed, but pretty proud I hit the first bird I shot at.

I got home to S. Surrey at 10, greeted at the door by my 10 month old Golden Retriever Lola - could have used you today girl..... Maybe time to train her for ducks, eh?

I had a great time today - the first of many hunts for me.

If there is a kind soul that wouldn't mind teaching a newbie how to do this better, I'd sure appreciate it. I am 42, a family man who knows responsibility, I am a PADI Scuba DiveMaster, so i know and value safety/protocol/procedure. I listen and learn.

I can also do weekday morning hunts on quite a few days - flex work schedule.

If there are any takers, just let me know.

Michael
778-386-1973
604-541-9598
klaverfamily@shaw.ca

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/misc/progress.gif

pnbrock
10-09-2010, 03:35 PM
if you were [lanning a hunt for tomorrow morn i could possibly run my dog for you he was just trained at someday retrievers so he will definately go for whatever you drop let me know.

mklaver
10-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Crap I wish - busy with Thanksgiving stuff (I am the cook).
Please let me know when we could do this again. Might go Mon am or eve. I really appreciate it. M

heyblast
10-09-2010, 06:26 PM
I don't understand why you didn't retrieve the duck. If the water is over the top of your gum boots you can still walk out to retrieve it. Can't retrieve it don't shoot it.

mklaver
10-10-2010, 01:08 PM
I don't understand why you didn't retrieve the duck. If the water is over the top of your gum boots you can still walk out to retrieve it. Can't retrieve it don't shoot it.

Thank you for your feedback and I concur, which is why I bailed on shots I could have taken but was afraid I wouldn't be able to reach where they would fall. Also didn't want to be soaked to my waist 10 minutes into the hunt. Went as far as I reasonably could but had a long ways to go.... I learned from the experience and took immediate corrective action and learned a lesson. I hope the tone and spirit on my story shows that we are on the same page on this - we both believe don't shoot what you can't retrieve - hense the newly purchased chest waders yesterday afternoon and the thought of training my Golden.

Cheers.

Ddog
10-10-2010, 02:59 PM
lesson learned the hard way i guess, but good for you on passing other shots.
i would love to help but unfortunately i am in the EK.
cheers.

mklaver
10-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Ok so I think I am making progress. I decided to go out for the evening hunt last night - end of 104th in Delta - sea side of the dyke. Got there at 4:30 and there are TONS of ducks out in the bay, waiting to come in. Not much flying around. Pretty quiet until 6pm rolls around. Still waiting for those damn ducks, but while I am waiting a flock of Canada geese goes by and I bear down on one and shoot twice and drop him in the bay. Nice! And, BTW, I have waders now so I am able to retrieve. So, pretty excited, I go back to my chair and wait for those ducks. Well, another flock of Canadas goes by. Picked one - fired all three this time - dropped another (got him twice).

Feeling pretty happy, I went home at 6:45 - those damn ducks still laughing at me from ther bay.

Wow - cleaning a goose is hard work - breasted one out and kept the drumsticks (mostly because I was too rough plucking and tore the skin) but the second will make a nice roaster. The racoons loved the smell and came by shortly after I was done cleaning.

This was my second hunt ever - the first I detailed above - so I am pretty happy.

32-40win
10-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Sounds like you are progressing. If your dog will retrieve, check it to see if it is gunshy. Make sure that you are in front of the dog, try it with a .22. It is amazing how fast they can learn the tasks neccessary to duck hunting, and what you will learn about your dog. And how many people you can meet at the places you can go to do off season training. It will open up a whole new scenario for you.
Welcome to the addiction!!