PDA

View Full Version : Good experiences with other hunters this year

GoatGuy
10-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Spent the better part of 3 weeks in the EK this fall. Weather was the pits, rain, fog, snow most of the time even spent two evenings in 'zone x' because the hills were socked in. Saw a couple vehicles covering the roads but didn't run into anybody hunting 'off road' or on foot in zone x, just elk and deer.

In the 'mountains' ran into one other resident at the head of a trail and his buddy on a trail the next day. Both were friendly, had some good conversation. Lots of elk, deer, goats, sheep and a couple of g bears when we could see. Ran into a couple guides/clients, was a bit of bs traded but experiences were good.

Ran into a couple of 'hikers', they were super friendly, real talkative.

Hunted region 8 this week, no people just critters.

All in all been a good season on the hunter front, no bad experiences.

Headed out in region 8 this weekend in search of the elusive 'resident hunter' for the busiest weekend of the year. Keeping the fingers crossed.

Been very positive experiences this fall.

Hope everyone's enjoying their time afield.

Johnnybear
10-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Sounds like your having a good time just getting out there Gg. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

urbanhermit
10-08-2010, 11:20 PM
I have met some good people out in the bush so far this year.
One cold rainy morning in my treestand i put one of those hand warmer packets under my shirt on my lower back, when i heard a deer approaching i stood up, and because my shirt was tucked in, it slipped down between my butt cheeks. I didnt want to make any movements, felt like a reverse action George Foreman Grill.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-09-2010, 06:32 AM
Amazing what can happen when you approach someone with a warm, friendly smile:). 99% of the time that conversation has no where to go but "good".

SSS

swampthing
10-09-2010, 07:14 AM
I like this post. Its easy to bitch about people but no one thinks much about posting all the good people they meet. While on a spring griz hunt I ran into spikesaptly and cubdriver, both hunting separatly. Great guys. The outfitter that cubdriver was with feed me supper and drinks one night. Awesome guy. On my northern fall hunt with my son, we found people in the camp we were hoping to use. They offered to share it. We declined but made friends. When they left before us, they left a "care package" with us as we came in quite light. In the bottom of that box was a note wishing us luck and BEER. My kind of people. I have been a PG resident 1.5 years now and run into nothing but great people while scouting and hunting up here. Have a good season all.

lightmag
10-09-2010, 07:38 AM
While my buddy and i were hunting north of town camped for a few days we ran into a trapper ad his wife at their cabin and were invited in for coffee. Great people, great conversation and GREAT coffee!! bumped into them 2 days later at their other cabin, talked abit, were invited for tea, we declined and were told to come back any time from then a until spring and we had a place to stay if we ever needed to. Really was a great expirence, that being said they did talk about a few "not so great" expirences they had had over the years.

dana
10-09-2010, 09:15 AM
I have to say even in the "Legendary Clearwater Area" I've not met another hunter this year. The kids and I have been out a lot and covering a lot of different ground. Aweful quiet out there, both with game and other hunters. Good chicken year though!

steepNdeep
10-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Goatguy,

I'll add to your warm-fuzzy... :wink: I talked to quite a few guys at a few road base camps in the heart of the GONG from all parts of the country. Despite the sh!tshow, all were full of smiles, shaking their heads & laughing at the spectacle of hunters out there... Many left for quieter parts, but laughingly said they'll never forget that day in the war zone... all good guys despite the circumstances.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4124/5050275808_93e4ebaa57_z.jpg

After hunting opening day with 2 partners in the GONG, I headed solo deep into the back country to get away from the hordes... hunted my way into some amazing looking country that I'd touched a bit before. Late morning I got to the back end of a drainage and got a couple of responses and eventually figured it was a hunter. I carefully made my way in with my NOTAFKNBULL orange hat on to confirm it. :rolleyes:

Thought it was an outfitter when we first met. We laughed a bit and he turned out to be a hilarious guy (& his 50+ yr old partner) from the EK. I couldn't believe these guys had humped it in there! He is an elknut of the highest order, has killed a dozen bulls over the years, but never a monster... His partner was gonna leave, he didn't know the country & I ended up hunting & spike camping with him for the rest of the weekend in some amazing new country... They weren't bugling there, but I learned a ton from him & I'm dedicated to helping him get his trophy bull... We've already planned round 2 & I'm sure we'll be hunting together for years to come! :cool:

frenchbar
10-09-2010, 09:22 AM
I havent bumped into another hunter this yr .. but then again i hunt where nobody else does:-D i can honestly say in all my years of hunting ..ive never run into any body thats been ignorant to me or done things to piss me off...

BCrams
10-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Having a great year thus far here. No resident hunters in the 'field' so to speak. Quite a few were cruising the roads in trucks / quads. All in all its been a great experience!!

BlacktailStalker
10-09-2010, 09:27 AM
I ran into a guy 25kms back in my LEH zone, got to talking and learned we were both after a different species, me a goat and he was after a moose, elk or sheep.
I already had my elk so offered a bit of advice.
He tried to help me with where he kept seeing goats but it wasnt my area.
Exchanged names and amazingly we were both from the same place, over 1300kms away. What are the odds of that !
Of course the hoards of road hunters were present but at best of times they are only a faint hum away considering where I like to be.
I also met 2 solid guys off this site one of which I hope to show around my area next year for tidal flat bears and fishing.

So in all, its been a good year in that respect... and really, so it should be, incidents like H47 should be far and few between, we're all doing the same thing so have more in common than most like to admit.

Piperdown
10-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Met some great people and some not so great. But the highlight was the guy working for a guide in the EK, man he had the best mullet I have seen in probably 20 years. Still makes me smile just picturing it :biggrin:

Rusty
10-09-2010, 03:55 PM
It was great to meet Steven, a real nice guide in the area, after chatting with him on this forum it was great to finally catch up with him, and Yes.... He advised me some nice places to go ..... Also 2 guys from Victoria, who were great to get along with, and a pleasure to have a yak with after dinner and share hunting stories of the day.
Didn't get my Bull!
Missed the biggest Deer I have ever seen.....It's been a couple of weeks now... so I can talk about it... lol
Can't wait till next year to go back and find em..
Rusty

JDR
10-09-2010, 04:28 PM
I have had bad run ins with other hunters in the past who figured they owned the area, but they are far and few between. This year, we met a couple different sets of guys elk hunting...nothing but a pleasurable experience. One group even stopped in at our camp to congratulate us on our bull.

knighthunter
10-09-2010, 04:42 PM
It was great to meet Steven, a real nice guide in the area, after chatting with him on this forum it was great to finally catch up with him, and Yes.... He advised me some nice places to go ..... Also 2 guys from Victoria, who were great to get along with, and a pleasure to have a yak with after dinner and share hunting stories of the day.
Didn't get my Bull!
Missed the biggest Deer I have ever seen.....It's been a couple of weeks now... so I can talk about it... lol
Can't wait till next year to go back and find em..
Rusty

Where did you say that was again?

Fisher-Dude
10-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Anytail and I only saw 2 guys on quads all morning today. 38 mule deer, 5 moose, and one nice young cinnamon bear. Saw a dandy buck while I was hikin' a ridge, but he bailed 2 seconds before I could get the crosshairs on him.

Good day of bullshit with Anytail. Not many people in the bush for any buck season. Surprising.

BCrams
10-09-2010, 07:40 PM
. Not many people in the bush for any buck season. Surprising.

Thought hunters would be tripping over themselves with liberal seasons.

I guess this is a good means to push for more GOS and get rid of restrictive point restrictions elsewhere.

sawmill
10-10-2010, 05:40 AM
I`v hardly seen a soul around here.Very strange but nice!Yesterday we hauled 2 big loads of firewood from a good hunting area and never saw a vehicle out there.Saw some does though,they open today,think I`ll wait awhile,don`tfeel like skinning another critter just yet.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-10-2010, 05:49 AM
Saw a dandy buck while I was hikin' a ridge, but he bailed 2 seconds before I could get the crosshairs on him.

What's up with all this talk about "hiking"?? :?That's the second or third time you've mentioned it this fall!

You get knee replacements in the off season??

SSS

GoatGuy
10-11-2010, 03:00 PM
tried, but no resident hunters found, just critters. Oh well there's always next weekend.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-11-2010, 03:04 PM
tried, but no resident hunters found, just critters. Oh well there's always next weekend.

Daughter and I saw two people all day yesterday and that was at last light.....was another father/kid combo:).

First day of doe season I thought it might be busier.

SSS

steepNdeep
10-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Daughter and I saw two people all day yesterday and that was at last light.....was another father/kid combo:).

First day of doe season I thought it might be busier.

SSS

Wanna trade??? :rolleyes: :wink: