PDA

View Full Version : Screwed on the draw.

Triggerman
10-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Got a draw for Cow elk in 4-03 Zone x with a couple of friends - whahooo!! Made plans, took time off work, got the elk calls ready and....

MOE decided to open a GOS for cows in Zone x for the two weeks prior to the Draw we got (Oct 1 to 10) - AFTER THE DRAW WAS MADE!!!

So I get a draw and the GOS is on for the previous two weeks. We spend $750 each on gas, lodgings and food and SEE NOTHING!!! We put on hundreds of Kms in the truck and with boots over 5 days only to find out a ton of cows -and bulls, were shot prior to the draw dates.

Not friggin impressed.

Thanks MOE.

chinook
10-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Why didnt you go during the GOS before your draw?

Triggerman
10-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Already made the arrangements and took off the time from work.

betteroffishing
10-08-2010, 06:21 PM
i feel for you , but im not sure how many others will in that they got an opening on an animal that they wouldnt normally get one on , we'd hate to discourage the moe from deciding to open up a usually leh protected animal when they feel the science dictates an openning. but i feel for you.

muzzy
10-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Ya, sucks to be you!!!:twisted:

BimmerBob
10-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Well THAT does suck big time, you would think that they would have the GOS after the LEH just to make it reasonably fair to the LEH process... just poor logistical planning by MOE, but what do you really expect?

10-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Well THAT does suck big time, you would think that they would have the GOS after the LEH just to make it reasonably fair to the LEH process... just poor logistical planning by MOE, but what do you really expect?

Or you'd think they would know at the beginning of the year that the herd can handle X number of harvests and allocate GOS and LEH accordingly.

Fisher-Dude
10-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Firstly, if you got involved more closely with your local fish & game club, you'd be better informed. We discussed the seasons last fall at a general club meeting, and sent in stakeholder input forms, and we're in region 8!

The cow GOS proposal was available for input in October/November 2009 on the MoE website.

It was also posted on the MoE website February 5, 2010, as the final submission to Victoria for implementation in 2010. So, you're 100% wrong that it was brought in after the LEH draw was done.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/kootenay/wld/Regsproposed/2010-11%20Hunting%20Regulation%20Recommendations%20Koot enay%20Region.pdf

It was also discussed on these boards in late 2009 and early 2010.

Don't blame the cow GOS for seeing nothing - the senior/youth cow, and 4-03X spike was open for 10 days before the cow GOS, as well as 10 days before that for bow only. The elk are where you find them, and move many miles day to day. You just had shitty luck.

BlacktailStalker
10-08-2010, 07:29 PM
$750 EACH on gas, where the hell do you live ?

1/2 slam
10-08-2010, 07:38 PM
$750 EACH on gas, where the hell do you live ?

Food and lodging included in the number.

Jelvis
10-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Man that is not good at all, spending thousands and not even seeing an elk?
Jel .. Check out the Armchair Bio and what he would do to improve this situation so you would not have to go through this disappointment ever again .. You deserve much much better than that .. this needs fixin

Ddog
10-08-2010, 07:59 PM
sorry about your luck, but like fisher-dude said it was implemented long before you thought it was.
perhaps if you asked for a little information from people on the site that actually live here in the zone you would have had better luck, i helped a few in the past and they have been lucky enough to shoot their animals and i would have done the same for you.
expensive trip to go home empty, feel free to PM me if you are ever in the area again with a tag, i may be able to help.
cheers...D

cainer
10-08-2010, 08:08 PM
I feel for you trigger..i was in the EK and a bunch of guys just like you had Cow LEH tags for the 4-20 zone x. they weren't too impressed with the cow GOS either. Kind of a waste of an LEH tag wouldn't you say? Maybe they could've upped the vertical boundaries for the LEH draws or something.

slaughterhouse
10-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Stay on the coast. U won't have this problem.

brenden
10-08-2010, 08:43 PM
I know atleast six GIRLS and six KIDS that shot cows during the draw season. Mabey you can make arrangements to have them take you out next year. Pathetasad....

GoatGuy
10-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Is there policy that says if there's LEH there should be no GOS, or that the GOS should always precede the LEH?

Next time just ask for some help with your draw if you don't know the area or where to find elk, there's plenty of elk around and plenty of people willing to help. :wink:

Ddog
10-08-2010, 10:25 PM
WELL, HELLOOOOOO;
SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST NOT AS INFORMED AS FISHER-DUDE & YOURSELF!!

Having said that, we all know how a lot of responses go towards a guy lookin for help! ie looking for help when one should be up n par with ALL NEW REGULATION PROPOSES!

Please dont blame a guy or an individual, as we all know, NOT all of us have the time to get involved!

This is what this site is SUPPOSEDS TO BE ALL ABOUT! isnt it? to help individuals in there pursiut of any/all game......
So drop that holier than thou attitude and show some compasion.....thats why we have PM......... LET ME REMIND YOU>>>>>>>not to slag people but to help!

SO, IN CONCLUSION; you know it alls, help a hunter out, dont slag him/her!

Really? were you born an idiot or did it take your whole life to become one?
perhaps you should read what i said, i offered help.
you may have read someone elses post and thought i said something different.
the fact of the matter is, it wasnt the MOE that screwed him, it was the lack of information he had.
where is the holier than thou attitude? where did anyone say they know it all?
LET ME REMIND YOU<>>> no-one was (slagged?) in my post
i offered information and help.

bforce750
10-09-2010, 09:33 AM
WELL, HELLOOOOOO;
SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST NOT AS INFORMED AS FISHER-DUDE & YOURSELF!!

Having said that, we all know how a lot of responses go towards a guy lookin for help! ie looking for help when one should be up n par with ALL NEW REGULATION PROPOSES!

Please dont blame a guy or an individual, as we all know, NOT all of us have the time to get involved!

This is what this site is SUPPOSEDS TO BE ALL ABOUT! isnt it? to help individuals in there pursiut of any/all game......
So drop that holier than thou attitude and show some compasion.....thats why we have PM......... LET ME REMIND YOU>>>>>>>not to slag people but to help!

SO, IN CONCLUSION; you know it alls, help a hunter out, dont slag him/her!

HAVE ANOTHER DRINK MIK:-D

Mik
10-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Really? were you born an idiot or did it take your whole life to become one?
perhaps you should read what i said, i offered help.
you may have read someone elses post and thought i said something different.
the fact of the matter is, it wasnt the MOE that screwed him, it was the lack of information he had.
where is the holier than thou attitude? where did anyone say they know it all?
LET ME REMIND YOU<>>> no-one was (slagged?) in my post
i offered information and help.

OUCH! That Hurt... A little!
The first line in my post was actually meant as a compliment to yourself and FD. Then I proceeded to make a few comments in general. Sorry if you took it the wrong way, a little to late, however, i deleted my post :)

Bowzone_Mikey
10-09-2010, 11:49 AM
so the GOS wiped out all Cow elk in the area????? get real

I'm thinking that you wouldnt have seen any anyway??? It happens from time to time .... ...especailly in an area that you are not familiar with (by that I mean you dont live in and see it daily)

each year in the peace the LEHs are always after the GOS .... everyone I know personally that draws the LEH sees animals....not always successfull harvests ..but always sees animals

BlacktailStalker
10-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Let us remind you, hunting is not a SURE thing... better luck next year... maybe?
A side of beef is a sure thing.
Many 6pt elk areas you could have hit too, rule number one when hunting, if you arent seeing sign, MOVE !

city hunter
10-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Got a draw for Cow elk in 4-03 Zone x with a couple of friends - whahooo!! Made plans, took time off work, got the elk calls ready and....

MOE decided to open a GOS for cows in Zone x for the two weeks prior to the Draw we got (Oct 1 to 10) - AFTER THE DRAW WAS MADE!!!

So I get a draw and the GOS is on for the previous two weeks. We spend $750 each on gas, lodgings and food and SEE NOTHING!!! We put on hundreds of Kms in the truck and with boots over 5 days only to find out a ton of cows -and bulls, were shot prior to the draw dates.

Not friggin impressed.

Thanks MOE.I just came back from 4-o3x zone this morning,I went there for 8 days and saw one cow elk only but missed shot (I really pissed myself then no more being seen but more than 20 hunters over there,they got nothing either,I talked to the farmer,he said we came too late,the passed 20 days before (youth and open season) there were some cow elk in the ranch but now all spooked away,The government is very suck and leh doesn't made sense,anyway we got home with 2 deers and 2 turkeys,I feel for you too.

BIGHUNTERFISH
10-09-2010, 05:19 PM
It's called hunting not shooting .Sometimes you get them sometimes you dont.If the enjoyment and success of your hunt is based solely on harvesting an animal then I feel sorry for you.I just spent 6 days in region 5 looking for a buck and came home empty,but I still had a great time beautiful color on the trees awesome sun sets I caught some nice fish wacked a bunch of chickens and I got away from reality for awhile.The weather was warm so the game wasnt moving much .If you want meat I think there is a place up North that has paid bison to shoot on a ranch.I guarntee you will get one and you wont spend as much money.

Night Hawk 3
10-09-2010, 05:46 PM
LEH, GOS or whatever, I've been on lots of hunting trips where no game was taken. It's not only about the kill, it's about the time you spend enjoying nature, your companions, the weather, time off from work etc...

The last trip I went on to the WK and the southern Okanagan yielded nothing that we wanted. We could have taken a few very nice (large) bears with a rifle, but that was not what we were after - and since I couldn't get in range with my pointed sticks, we let them be for another season.

Go hunting to enjoy yourself and the outing, taking game is a bonus.

~NH3

Jelvis
10-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Some fellas want to bring meat home too, not just get out doors, the significant other wants to see something when they get home.
Jel ( Where's the Burger ) Dear ? ....

Triggerman
10-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Had a great time just the same and loved the area. Kimberley etc was beautiful this time of year. I'll pm some of you for help next time and appreciate the offers. The crappy part was "winning" a draw but losing the opportunity to capitalize on something that I had "won" by getting an LEH.

Oh well. Learned a lesson not soon to be forgotten.