PDA

View Full Version : Looks Like I Get to Keep Half My Guns!

PointMan
10-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Ok, I know stories are somewhat mandatory so I'll do my best. Left the house this morning at 4:30 AM and headed out to Bonneau FSR for a look around (no worries about giving up my honey hole LOL). I really wasn't getting that "warm and fuzzy" feeling I usually get when I head out hunting, but I just chalked it up to discouragement from such poor luck on past excursions. Anyway, once I got up on Bonneau, I almost turned around because of the rough road, but pressed on anyway. I covered a lot of road and hoofed over a lot of cut block and bush, lots of fresh sign everywhere, but nothing moving. Wasn't looking as promising as I hoped, but I still pressed on. As the day wore on I decided to start heading back down the hill to find another spot to try, checking each cut block as I went.

At one point I was walking along the top of a cut block and heard this exciting noise, the rustling of leaves! I looked down to catch sight of a pair of whitetail does booking it for a knoll, I squawked a couple of times through my new deer call, it's supposed to stop them, it didn't, stupid deer call. Off I went again.

As I passed below the 5K marker I stopped to glass another cut block, one of the last before I hit Creighton Valley Road. As I was glassing along the top I noticed a couple of mulie does. "This is at least a LITTLE promising I thought. I got out of the van with my rifle and binos and glassed some more. The does started to head toward the tree line, so I decided to give the deer call another chance, "MWAAAA" THEY STOPPED! Deer calls are GREAT! I glassed again and another 3 does came out of the tree line, COOL! "MWAAAA" MORE deer, but still no buck! CRAP! "MWAAA" More does and a fawn, AARRGGH! There has to be at least ONE buck in there! There's at least 7 deer... Wait! What's that? Are those SPIKES!? Down goes the binos, up comes the rifle, I peer carefully through the scope and watch. Maybe spikes, maybe branches, come on, MOVE! It turns it's head, the "branches" move too. It takes a couple of steps, YUP! SPIKES!

I drop to one knee (I have too, I'm shaking too bad for a free hand shot, LOL). Looks to be about 120 yards, uphill, I line up as best I can with the tremor, squeeze.... BANG! I see it jump forward with pink frothy blood spewing out of the wound and it's down! AWESOME!

I'm wondering who's cheering for me then I realize I'm the one doing the yelling! LOL I felt like I was 14 again. What a rush! I had to gut and haul this thing down the hill myself, that part wasn't as much fun as I expected, but fun just the same.

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy59/CapturedGrace/101_2640.jpg
A little high in the kill zone, but a kill just the same, broke the spine and took out the lungs.

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy59/CapturedGrace/101_2644.jpg
No B&C record holder, but meat just the same.
http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy59/CapturedGrace/101_2650-1.jpg
http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy59/CapturedGrace/101_2647.jpg
This is where I had to drag it from.
http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy59/CapturedGrace/101_2652.jpg
This is where it had to go, even had the smell out before the wife and kids got in!

BlacktailStalker
10-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Pimpin' ain't easy (in a mini van) but it's necessary :cool:
Glad you got one.

2slow
10-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Love it when a plan comes together. Nice job

islander7mm
10-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Yes! We got a Spiker down! Nice work, I love hearing stories of buck fever.
Way to get er' done.

TPB
10-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Congrats on getting one and keeping your guns ;)

BimmerBob
10-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Damn, there goes the firesale on guns! :mrgreen::wink:

Congrats on your first, I wish you many more!

thepitchedlink
10-08-2010, 06:44 PM
glad to see you dumped one there Pointman...I recongnise that cut block too...good to see it produced something.

demlake
10-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Looks good.

Thanks for the pics.

dl

LeverActionJunkie
10-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Congrats! I always wanted a mini van 4 huntin :)

yzchamp
10-08-2010, 08:11 PM
congrats !

steepNdeep
10-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Right on!! Cool to see someone excited about hunting and appreciate their animal... Congrats! :cool:

Jelvis
10-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Nice! That is a healthy lil buck, man those chops will be dee lish ...
.... Beauty shot also and a great short story.. congratulations brah
Jel .. You got one ..

Mik
10-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Well Done, in a mini-van to top it off.....Congrats

cainer
10-08-2010, 09:24 PM
nothin like the old spiker meat! strip loin steaks for dinner?

PointMan
10-08-2010, 09:27 PM
nothin like the old spiker meat! strip loin steaks for dinner?
You know it! UMMMMMM UMMMMMMMMM UMMMMM

Dragginbait
10-08-2010, 09:31 PM
And now for your second tag, the hard one is done now and it's on to another one. Congrats

Jordo
10-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Nice work! Looks like the spiker I took last weekend. Good Eatin!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-09-2010, 03:59 AM
Congrats on your first!! :)

Now, this Sunday, head back to where you saw those whitey does and pop one!
You're on a roll!

SSS

hunter1947
10-09-2010, 04:39 AM
Nice buck you got there he will be very tasty on the dinner plate ,congrats to you http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

Ltbullken
10-09-2010, 06:48 AM
Good hunt. Congrats!

swampthing
10-09-2010, 06:59 AM
Its hard to be cool in a mini van, unless you gots a buck in the back! Good on ya.

J_T
10-09-2010, 07:01 AM
Congrats on your first deer. Excellent.

I've had trucks all my life, started having kids and the wife didn't like hauling kids in and out of the truck with her short skirt. Bought a mini-van... It's pretty hard to look 'hunt' driving a mini-van. Brought a couple of dead animals home in it, (left a little smell in) and the wife was ordering me to buy my own truck. "Yes Dear".

snowhunter
10-09-2010, 07:07 AM
Congratulations :)

Gun Dog
10-09-2010, 09:00 AM
It looks like a Subaru Forester -- a nice AWD station wagon. Note that the rear side doors swing out, not slide, and the rear seat is folded up, not removed.

edit: and congratulations.

spear
10-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Nice work, glad you nailed one

PointMan
10-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Thanks fot all the congrats guys, the hunt was awesome, today though, I'm reminded I'm not 20 anymore and apparently seriously out of shape! OWWW. I ache all down my back and across my chest! LOL

It looks like a Subaru Forester -- a nice AWD station wagon. Note that the rear side doors swing out, not slide, and the rear seat is folded up, not removed.

edit: and congratulations.

It's actually a 1995 Honda Odyssey, their first attempt at a mini-van, wish they still made them like that. It's a mini-van with an Accord suspension, tranny and engine. It looks like a van and drives like a car. (Thanks to all my hunting trips I now have to replace a popping ball joint)

The Hermit
10-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Advil and Ru to work the kinks out! Then a nice backstrap steak and some wine and you'll be right as rain! Congrats

stitch
10-09-2010, 09:57 AM
There ain't no better feelin then a buck in the truck...er wait...ah mini van..... way to go....great buck and meat in the pot!

PointMan
10-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Congrats on your first deer. Excellent.

I've had trucks all my life, started having kids and the wife didn't like hauling kids in and out of the truck with her short skirt. Bought a mini-van... It's pretty hard to look 'hunt' driving a mini-van. Brought a couple of dead animals home in it, (left a little smell in) and the wife was ordering me to buy my own truck. "Yes Dear".
HMMMM. Maybe I should have "forgotten" to cut off the scent glands. Next time.

moosecaller
10-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Four guys have been going to the same moose camp for many years. Two days before the group is to leave, Ron's wife puts her foot down and tells him he isn't going. Ron's friends are very upset that he can't go, but what can they do.Two days later the three get to the camping site only to find Ron sitting there with a tent set up, firewood gathered, and dinner cooking on the fire. "Dang man, how long you been here, and how did you talk your wife into letting you go?""Well, I've been here since yesterday."

"Yesterday evening, I was sitting in my chair at home and my wife came up behind me and put her hands over my eyes and said. 'guess Who?' I pulled her hands off, and she was wearing a brand new nightie.

She took my hand and pulled me to our bedroom. The room had candles and rose petals all over. On the bed she had handcuffs, and ropes!

She told me to tie and cuff her to the bed, and I did. And then she said, "Do whatever you want."So, here I am.

PointMan
10-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Four guys have been going to the same moose camp for many years. Two days before the group is to leave, Ron's wife puts her foot down and tells him he isn't going. Ron's friends are very upset that he can't go, but what can they do.Two days later the three get to the camping site only to find Ron sitting there with a tent set up, firewood gathered, and dinner cooking on the fire. "Dang man, how long you been here, and how did you talk your wife into letting you go?""Well, I've been here since yesterday."

"Yesterday evening, I was sitting in my chair at home and my wife came up behind me and put her hands over my eyes and said. 'guess Who?' I pulled her hands off, and she was wearing a brand new nightie.

She took my hand and pulled me to our bedroom. The room had candles and rose petals all over. On the bed she had handcuffs, and ropes!

She told me to tie and cuff her to the bed, and I did. And then she said, "Do whatever you want."So, here I am.

I'll have to be married a few more years before I try pulling that stunt. Helps that my wife is still in her 20's. Some things are still more important than hunting right now, we'll see where I stand when she's 40 and I'm 52. LOL

nano
10-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Congrats Pointman, hand work and determination pay off in the end.

10-12-2010, 09:10 PM
nice work on the buck.

a trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

sounds like you have good one.

BimmerBob
10-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Congrats Pointman, hand work and determination pay off in the end.

Congratulations and what kind of work was that again??:mrgreen:

nano
10-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Damn my bad spelling got me again!

rollingrock
10-13-2010, 09:52 AM
I'll have to be married a few more years before I try pulling that stunt. Helps that my wife is still in her 20's. Some things are still more important than hunting right now, we'll see where I stand when she's 40 and I'm 52. LOL

Don't even think that far. By the time she's 40, you'll be amazed you still can stand by your bed. :twisted: Hunt as much as possible before she gets 40.

Congrats on the buck!

BimmerBob
10-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Damn my bad spelling got me again!

LOL, my fingers seem to insert the wrong characters time in and time out, some times I notice and some times I don't. I just thought that in this case it came out kind of fun! :-D

PointMan
10-20-2010, 07:59 AM
This was my wife's Facebook status last night, "... guess I was meant to be with a hunter. Happy to have a stock pile of deer in the freezer... 'cause deer burgers are nummy :) Happy all our kids loved them too!"

And she was also suggesting I buy a few more tags and take Friday and Saturday and do some more hunting. Seems all my guns are safe now, may even be able to buy a couple more! MWA HA HA HA :mrgreen:

ravensfoot
10-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Nice clean ethical shot, way to go. Thanks for the story and pics. Hey, what brand of deer call did you get? I just picked up the "k'mer Deer" call, never used it and want to ry it out. I'm heading out in 2 days, CANT WAIT!!!

PointMan
10-20-2010, 04:29 PM
Nice clean ethical shot, way to go. Thanks for the story and pics. Hey, what brand of deer call did you get? I just picked up the "k'mer Deer" call, never used it and want to ry it out. I'm heading out in 2 days, CANT WAIT!!!
Thanks Raven, it was a Primos Hands-Free. It was $12 at Wal-Mart. Didn't really expect much from it, was really surprised at the response from the mulies. Looking forward to hearing about your hunt. I'm heading out again on Friday and Saturday to try and pick up a WT doe. I'll post pics if I nail one.