PDA

View Full Version : Moose driving me crazy/please help

flyboy
10-08-2010, 12:12 PM
trying to see if there is any more little tricks in locating the elusive bull

have been working a spot for the last three days.

the place is littered with sign, there are multiple scrapes as well as a good bull wallow pit.

everyday i see the same cow/calf pair in the same swamp.

i set up and call moring and night but i cannot get a bull to answer let alown show himself.

i am sure i am not the best caller out there but i did have a bull come to my calls in another area when i wasnt hunting a couple weeks ago.

anyway not sure what i am doing wrong but if you have a hint i would love to hear it.

snowhunter
10-08-2010, 12:18 PM
You are suffering from moosoholism. Cure it :)

chinook
10-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Maybe someone else tried your tactics there already and took your bull or maybe he bred the cow and moved on. Dont give up though, keep trying. Good luck.

blackwater moose
10-08-2010, 12:23 PM
if the rut is over and it may be depending on your area ,you can call till the cows come home ( no pun intended) and they won't answer or come to where your to.

Tenacious Billy
10-08-2010, 12:38 PM
My brother in law and I spent 6 or 7 days in the same area searching for a bull.......on what we decided would be the final evening, 3 nights ago, the bull in my profile came in to my first call. Moose are where you find them and it pays to be persistent - if you think you found a good spot, just keep at it!

shawnwells
10-08-2010, 07:02 PM
change areas...if you wanna get a bee dont go try 2 find a bee....try to find the hive...

The Dawg
10-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Where are you located? The rut is in full swing up here now.

Perhaps you are calling too much?

tomahawk
10-08-2010, 07:38 PM
if the rut is over and it may be depending on your area ,you can call till the cows come home ( no pun intended) and they won't answer or come to where your to.

The rut is definetly not over!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shawnwells
10-08-2010, 07:44 PM
boneswells called in 4 bulls last week...

Cyrus
10-08-2010, 08:53 PM
around region 5 I don't think the rut has even started...lots of single cows out there....and single bulls too??? too friggin warm is my guess??? IMO they aren't movin.....

flyboy
10-08-2010, 11:11 PM
noahdog, i am located in PG and have heard from multiple people the rut is on, thats why it makes it alittle frustrating

found a fresh(stinky)pit tonight and a single cow, still no bull

i thought maybe to much calling too, start with a cow call wait for answer or 20-30 mins then another wait 20-15 mins another call then call every 15 for a length of time. to much?????

bear buster
10-09-2010, 07:54 AM
Have you tried raking some trees with an old antler or shoulder blade, old canoe paddle works too. start off with some cow calling then rake the trees abit while doing a few low bull grunts. I like to start quietly so if theres one close you dont seem to big, wait about 20 min then turn it up abit, if there is water near by use a coffee can or something to pour water into water to make the sound of moose pissin. after second 20 min walk couple hundered yards and repeat. hope this helps, and good luck.BB

Ltbullken
10-09-2010, 12:52 PM
The rut might be waning by now but not totally over. It can go til November. If you're calling, a bull will come to it eventually. If you're working that area hard, leaving lots of scent around, it might force him to move on. I've noticed the weather has been clear at night (Kamloops area) so they'll be more nocturnal, so hunting early dawn and as late as shooting light allows is the ticket if it's the same in your area. And if there has a lot of pressure it's the same, they'll go more nocturnal. I say keep working that area. He or another bull will come around. You might also want to let the area rest for a bit and go back to it later. If the rut is over, the bull may have moved on to a winter range area. So think good cover and access to good browse.

Just a calling tip - give 3 or 4 long cow calls and wait 15 minutes in between calling again. Also, your scent is everything - cagey bulls will circle the spot they think you are in and if he scents you... busted! I do the follwing: call for an hour, then move off a couple hundred meters and call again and try to set up in an area where I might see him come in. Also, do a few bull grunts after cow calling for a while. You might try another area too. Good luck.

jml11
10-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Just put some miles on those boots, don't get so hung up on calling. Not saying don't do it, just that covering ground works pretty darn good for moose too. Shot 7 bulls in the PG area over the years and not one was done by calling, all spot and stalk. This morning, first day out locally, I ran into a cow/calf and then later on a 6 point bull moose that I could have killed with a hammer (walked right up to me...). I called...he ran the other way...lol...but broadside along the treeline for 100 yards first...not the brightest moose...tried to track down someone with a bull draw as he was only 500 yards off the mainline but no one came by...

flyboy
10-09-2010, 07:28 PM
jm11

what zone did you see the moose? i got a bull leh, hence the search

killman
10-09-2010, 07:34 PM
What zone is your Leh?

flyboy
10-09-2010, 07:38 PM
i got a draw in 7-14, good zone lots of sign,seeing cows/calf everyday.

jml11
10-09-2010, 07:53 PM
7-15...wasn't too far from 7-14 but was walking the wrong way

6 K
10-09-2010, 07:55 PM
I called in two bulls a couple of weeks ago.
Course that was no were near P.G.
One to fifteen yards broad side, made me think of my bow hunting buddy:-D

proguide66
10-09-2010, 07:57 PM
The rut is on fire still...videod a moose orgy 2 days ago , two book bulls , 5 others and 6 cows..goin nuts...most bulls are paired off right now up here...spot some cows , drag a shed beside you as you slowly walk toward the cows grunting...works best for me...most bulls are laying down as well..but WITH cows..sure there's one there for you.

BCLongshot
10-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Just returned with 2 beauty bulls.

One morning I called in 5 bulls.

Everybody else was frustrated.

Gotta work HARD and pay the price.

I was exhausted but now I'm relaxing watching the hockey game swamp donkeys and deer at the butcher.

tombstone
10-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Ther rut is not over, don;t give up on your spot if you see bull tracks, use your calling ,scent away and cow piss, and I like to use my paddle or a stick to scrape and thrash at the pines and wiilows.
Goodluck:)