PDA

View Full Version : My First Moose Hunt

Riverbc
10-08-2010, 12:06 PM
So, I went on my first moose hunt last week with friends who are experienced hunters. In fact I had to borrow a rifle from a buddy at work, as I had only bird hunted before. Caroline had told me to learn how to do moose calls, as her and her husband don't call....Terry uses a moose antler and "rakes" it against branches, and does bull grunts every now and then, and has success over the years with that method. So, I learned how to do cow moose calls as we would be in an area where the rut was just starting.Thank goodness for youtube! :)
We spent 4 days driving the logging roads, and checking out logging cut blocks, with binoculars. I had done lots of research as this was my first game hunt, and I do like to be informed. So on the morning of the 5th day, I asked them to drive up the side road in a cut block and drop me off at the top of the hill, where I'd have a great view of the valley below, plus the sound would carry a good distance. After they drove off, I walked out into the cut block, found a dead tree and knelt down behind it. I let out a few cow calls and settled down with my binoculars in hand, scanning the valley below me. After only 10-15 minutes of waiting, I thought I heard a noise. Scanning the tree line, down below, I saw a moose standing 50 yards out from the trees. At that distance I didn't know if it was a cow or bull. I called again, and definitely heard a bull grunt as he started walking out into the valley floor. He walked about 400 yards, and then stopped at the main road.....looking up the hillside. I called again , and with no hesitation he grunted and continued on his way. Now he was coming up the hill, directly at me. Every 30-50 yards he'd stop and look in my direction. I'd call, he'd grunt, and start walking again. About 200 yards away he stopped, and I gave a real faint call, as if a cow moose was moving away from him. The bull then started walking, but was angling towards the side road. At this point I brought up the rifle, but had a hard time finding him in the scope. I finally had him in the scope. When he stopped, I had a perfect broadside view. I found my spot on him, and squeezed off a shot. I was really surprised at how he just dropped. I stood up and slowly walked up behind him. Terry had said to be very careful, and to get close and put a finishing shot into the head. I don't believe I needed to, but wanted to take no chances.
So how did I feel? I was very excited when he got to the road, and came in a straight line at me. I knew I had a chance. I had calmed down as I worked him closer towards me. I felt a little panic when I couldn't find him in the scope. When he fell, and didn't get up, I felt a huge sense of relief. I really didn't want to screw up. I definitely felt I had really accomplished something. My first hunt, and I had called in a moose from just over 1 kilometer away, to 95 yards of me, where I dropped it with one shot. When I told my hunting partners my tale, they explained what I had done was no small feat. I soaked up the praise that came my way. They were also very happy that the moose lay less than 30 yards from the side road, as now the work was to begin. I'm looking forward to our next hunt together.

http://www3.telus.net/river_rat/moose4.jpg

Derp
10-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Great story! congrats on a dandy bull!!

ChilliwackWinchester
10-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Good job. Looks like region 7a!

BiG Boar
Pretty cool calling in your first bull. Even more so when he hits the dirt.

nerka992003
Looks good! Hooked now aren't ya!

7MMDAVE
Nice bull, congrats. Great story to go along with it to.

Dave

Rattler
10-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Congrats on your first bull.

BCrams
10-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Great way to pull in a bull! Congrats on getting some fine eats for the year!!

moose2
10-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Great story and a really nice moose. Sounds like you did everything right. The key was getting out of the truck where you could call and hear well. Many times this time of year you will here moose calling while you are out sitting or walking , an advantage truck hunters don,t have. Congratulations on a fine first animal.
MIKE

ryanhuntslots
10-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Now you will start to twitch about the end of august every year, toss and turn in bed, and count down the days till hunting season. your officially hooked

LeverActionJunkie
10-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Good work on a nice bull. First of many I'm sure.

ydouask
10-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Great job on calling that bull in.