PDA

View Full Version : First Bull Elk

Jager-mister?
10-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Was so very fortunate to be invited by some friends for a Northern BC Elk hunt this year. Last year went with my brother up to 720 for a cow elk draw that was successfull. But this was the first time of targeting Elk in open season. The country was spectacular, the weather ...outstanding. The group of guys at the camp were a blast!
After leaving Maple Ridge on the friday morn @ 10:30 and finally arriving at the camp on Sunday morning @ 10:30, we set all our sleeping gear up and spent a little time BS'n with the boyz and getting ready for the evening hunt. For the 2 of us that just arrived it was going to be a loosen up hike out back of the camp. Get the legs stretched out, and become familiar with the lay of the land. I had 2 weeks in this paridise to enjoy. We hiked back on this ridge about 4km back from camp glassing and enjoying the sights, when all of a sudden I spotted a cow right in the middle of the mountain face that we just glassed (she must have been bedded). My partner at the time said he would take the 1st cow he saw as the last season he had been bit by bad lady luck and struggled to get an animal in camp. So he set up for a 300 m shot and dropped her. High fives and happiness that we had meat, we started a brutal hike straight up to get her. Now we haven't even recovered from the long trip so the legs were just fried and the body wasn't ready for this :-? We slugged our way up about 75 m when all of a sudden I spotted the rather large antlers of a mature bull coming over the ridge to the left... I excited barked at my partner "explicits" "BULL!" We hit the deck as he slowly made his way across the ridge above @ 200m up. He was beautiful! The wind was blowing right in our faces, he had no clue. He slowly crossed, stopping to munch, smell and bugel, most likely on the sent of the cow. Now this hill was so steep that I was struggling to stop myself from sliding backwards down the hill. My partner positively identified it as a 6 point and I took my best shot. A perfect one shot kill! Fortunately for us he slid about 175m down the hill, however unfortunatly the cow was still another 200 plus m up the hill!!! WOW was I pumped!!! :mrgreen: 3hrs into my 2 week hunt on the first day. Tagged! Talk about beginners luck!!! The rest of the trip was a total holiday:-D
Thanks so much to all the guys that were there... you know who you are!!!
And a special thanks to Ali & Ren for considering me for the trip!!! It was truely a trip of a lifetime!!!

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj91/knighter55/Tuchodi%20Hunt%202010/083.jpg

Derp
10-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Congrats!!

lightmag
10-08-2010, 10:02 AM
nice!! talk about getting it done fast!! then beers and sleeping in for 2 weeks!! good on ya!

BlacktailStalker
10-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Good deal!
Was it a riverboat hunt ? I guess all that country looks the same but it looks like a spot I've been to by riverboat.

10-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Great bull and georgeous scenery!

rocksteady
10-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Congrats... The smile in the pic tells the story...

I like the one up, one down brow tine:-D

What's the white stuff all over the ground behind you????:wink:

Any other pictures???

Gotta love elk steak...:mrgreen:

Ruger4
10-08-2010, 10:26 AM
im jeolous , way to go !!

BimmerBob
10-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Awesome! What a great way to start a hunt, love that pic, sure shows how steep the country is but it looks beautiful and your big grin does not show the leg pain at all!

meathunter
10-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Good looking bull!

BCrams
10-08-2010, 10:47 AM
That is awsome. Love the scenery / forest in the background!!

shawnwells
10-08-2010, 10:58 AM
great bull...good photo...congrats

Rattler
10-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Congrats on a great Bull. Sounds like it all came together for you.

trigger
10-08-2010, 12:12 PM
thats just awesome. Not very often you hear of guys going on there first elk hunt and coming home succeful. congrats on a fine bull

LeverActionJunkie
10-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Great bull! Congratulations! Good thing or bad thing them aspens stopped him from making to the bottom of that hill?

Bear Chaser
10-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Congratulations. Enjoy the tender vittles this winter.

cainer
10-08-2010, 07:48 PM
That's pretty awesome-hopefully the rest of the years are that kind to you!

GRIZZEZE
10-08-2010, 08:03 PM
nice bull congrats

Jelvis
10-08-2010, 08:11 PM
That's one of the best looking Wapiti I've seen in 2010 on here, it's an absolute beauty, wow! The color is fabulous and a eye grabber of a rack.
You hunters did it all and I want to say a great short story as well.
Jel .. Nice even big rack, congratulations on a funtastic hunt ..

slaughterhouse
10-08-2010, 08:20 PM
That things a dink

coglark
10-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Im gonna try elk next year, not only do you get them the first day, but its a downhill drag!:-D way to go

rudysteelhead
10-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Thats a dandy bull, and a great picture. If that were me I would have that picture framed and put in a spot where I could look at it everyday. Not to many things in life can put a smile on a guys face like that. Congrats

hunter1947
10-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Nice bull elk you got there ,congrats on your first bull elk http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

Jager-mister?
10-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Thanks for all the congrats everyone. Yes it was very special! My father hunted Elk for a number of years before he passed away but never bagged his bull. This one was dedicated to him! To answer some of the questions, yes we did travel by riverboat to our destination, bout a 3 hr ride and what a ride it was!!! I really wanted to do a european type mount but unfortuneately we had about a 4.5km pack out from where I knocked it down and Griz were a big problem this year:icon_frow. It was pretty well dark when we finished gutting, quatering and loading the pack frames. Cut the antlers off and had to get the hell out. Here's another pic of the rack can see a little more of the upper split on the right side. Too bad the left wasn't as big but hey I'm not complaining! It's a beauty as far as I am concerned :mrgreen:http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj91/knighter55/Tuchodi%20Hunt%202010/098.jpg

River Rat
10-12-2010, 04:04 PM
This guy looks like a bed-wetter to me! He sure can pack though. It was good to have you in the camp Tom. I hope you can come again and join us and all the Grizzlies up north. I put up a big one here in the Koots the other day but he saw me coming. You don't hear the bugling here the way we do on the creek, so glass and stalk and trail watching work better. Cheers Mate! (Never mind the dinky bull comments; good hunts come in all sizes.Besides, we have the best camp in the North.)