PDA

View Full Version : Itcha Lake 5-12 fly in Caribou hunt

Dad and son
10-07-2010, 12:01 PM
I am considering flying in to Itcha Lake for Caribou and wonder if anyone has done that recently. I wonder how plentiful the caribou are, how far they are from the lake, is there any cabins to stay in at the lake and if you know if there is a guide helping hunters in the area. Any help would be appreciated

Piperdown
10-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Talk to Dale Dunn at Blackwater Spruce Ranch, he knows all there is to know about that area, good luck!

kodimack
10-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Did a hunt there about 12 years ago , their were 2 cabins aprox 20-40 min walk from the lake but I don't remember the direction,1 cabin was used by sleders it was near a small lake there were fish in it may sill be some there maybe take a small rod and the best part was the new outhouse with a padded seat, who would have though . We hunted hard for 5 days climbed itcha mt saw 1 cow moose and that was it . When we flew back to Nimpo lk we saw a herd. Check with the pilot on how late in the season they will fly ,ours wouldn't land on the lake if there was any ice to hard on the floats.
hope this helps some

Blair
10-09-2010, 01:14 PM
the outfitter with that territory is Roy Mulvihill. He has a ranch near Chezacut.

mod7rem
10-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Flew in from nimpo lake in 2008. There are two guide outfitters that border at the lake so there is lots of traffic with clients being dropped and picked up at lake. We went first week of sept but if I went back I would go 2nd or 3rd week when the caribou would be moving more. You can definately get them around the lake or on the mountain. There are good trails going in all directions. It is very much like a park and there is lots of horse hunter traffic because it is only a days ride into there. Dont count on the cabins because of the traffic but if you set up a nice camp on the lake, you probably wont be alone but there is fire wood everywhere (beetle kill) and there are lots of caribou.

Summit 512
10-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Dad & Son keep in mind if your flying in to Itcha lake this late in the season the elvation is high and the lake can freeze up over night.....just some thing to think about.