PDA

View Full Version : Bowhunting temp

killman
10-06-2010, 07:09 PM
At what temp is it not a good idea to use a bow anymore? If there is one. I am thinking of Cold not Hot.:mrgreen:

bowhunterbruce
10-06-2010, 08:20 PM
not one problem with my hoyts at minus 12 to 15. still shots the same as plus 30's

J_T
10-06-2010, 08:44 PM
I sit for 6 hours or hike all day in +30 during the early bow hunt and I sit 3 hours in -30. No issues with the bow. The bow stays in the back of the truck when not in use. Blood cools a little quicker in the cool temperature though....

Ambush
10-06-2010, 08:51 PM
At what temp is it not a good idea to use a bow anymore? If there is one. I am thinking of Cold not Hot.:mrgreen:
Not wussin' out are ya??

killman
10-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Not wussin' out are ya??

No, wasn't sure if limbs started snaping if it was too cold.:-?

slayer B
10-07-2010, 10:52 AM
I think your only worry may be broadhead freeze up if your shooting mechanicals but people bowhunt the arctic and I've never heard of a problem yet. Try calling a bow company and see what they say. Now I'm curious too.

xtremearchery
10-07-2010, 11:04 AM
I trust my PSE X-Force Axe in any temp. I'd be more worried about rests freezing up. or even better yet, release caliper frozen. PSE has the most state of the art testing facility bare none. I guess thats why they have been the leader in technology for the past 50 years.

Bowzone_Mikey
10-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Never had an issue with any of my bows .... the limbs do stiffen up a bit when colder ... so the older recurve style limbs the draw weight would go up a bit in colder temp thus throwing off POI ... but with the newer parralle limb designs ... there isnt much limb flex anyway so its not all that noticable

Go nuts man

Bow Walker
10-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Your muscles will seize up before your bow ceases to function in cold weather. Drawing - or trying to draw - a 50 lb bow with cold, stiff muscles will fee like you're trying to draw a bow with double the weight. I've hunted in freezing weather, wet weather, and of course hot weather. Take care of your equipment and it'll survive much more than you can.

killman
10-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Thank people. That is what I wanted to know. Temps will be dropping soon and the snow is coming. I just wasn't sure it the equipment could take it.

Bowzone_Mikey
10-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Thank people. That is what I wanted to know. Temps will be dropping soon and the snow is coming. I just wasn't sure it the equipment could take it.

well ... You shoot a Mathews ... so we still dont know if it could take it ;)

whatcha mean snow is coming ... it was 14 degrees today ...

killman
10-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Snow by Wed.

Bowzone_Mikey
10-09-2010, 08:06 PM
I think you are on glue ... the coldest its gonna get according to weather dot ca is -3 on friday ... with mixed rain and snow

Granted thats for PG forecast ...
but I can see ya being worried about that tender Mathews ;) at minus 3 ...

LMAO

Seriously tho ... I hope yer right ... seen lots of game untill it warmed right up ... no the woods are quiet ...

Ambush
10-09-2010, 08:17 PM
but I can see ya being worried about that tender Mathews ;) at minus 3
"..tender" Mathews??? That's funny!!

Post up your Hoyt kills and the "..tender" Mathews shooters will do the same.:tongue:

With a name like Killman, he's a natural Mathews Man.

killman
10-09-2010, 08:20 PM

Post up your Hoyt kills and the "..tender" Mathews shooters will do the same.:tongue:

With a name like Killman, he's a natural Mathews Man.

Ha ha I was just going to ask the same thing. A few pics of the Hoyt kills:mrgreen:. Great minds think alike and shoot Mathews...

Bowzone_Mikey
10-09-2010, 08:22 PM

I thought so .....

Hoyts have left my stable ... made room for Bowtechies
however that all said ...
that could be a cool thread

But get serious ....this aint yer daddys bow so catch us if you can

rocket
10-09-2010, 08:31 PM
shot a deer in ft stjohn it was -30 never had any issues with my bow that was 5 years ago still on the money

uraarchr
10-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Just curious what kind of rests you guys have on your bows that you use in really cold temps?

Bowzone_Mikey
10-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Just curious what kind of rests you guys have on your bows that you use in really cold temps?

I have used treated Whisker Bisquits in those temps as well as Trophy Taker drop aways (What I am using now)

Treated Whisker Bisquits is a treatment of anti icing stuff put out by Carolina Archery products, or Fred Bear or Trophy Ridge ... or whoever owns the whisker Bisquit patent this week ... Its basically some silicone lube that acts like WD-40 (I personally used Armour all ... and it worked fine)

Bow Walker
10-10-2010, 07:10 AM
I've had an APA Safari Twister for about seven years now. It's been on two different bows and it performs flawlessly. I like them so much that I got another one and put it on my Hoyt Vectrix XL (target bow) three years ago.

If you're using a drop away rest in sub-freezing temps you might be wise just to do some shooting in the backyard or at the outdoor range before you go hunting. Just to make sure your equipment is in perfect working order and the rest operates properly. Don't want to get out there and find that your point of impact isn't where your point of aim is.

Big Lew
10-10-2010, 08:04 AM
Agree with "Bowzone Mikey," I also use a whisker bisquit and treat it with armourall, makes it quieter and winterizes it for cold weather.

rocket
10-10-2010, 09:26 PM
likewise whisker bisquit like the fact arrow can't fall and clank off riser great for treestands when you stand up don't have to worry about arrow.

randyhood
10-24-2010, 12:23 AM
If it still matters, I've hunted in -20 with a nasty windchill. No problems with a modern bow.

Bow Walker
10-24-2010, 09:45 AM
likewise whisker bisquit like the fact arrow can't fall and clank off riser great for treestands when you stand up don't have to worry about arrow.
Whisker Biscuits are great. Probably the best hunting arrow rest out there. But.

Full containment-type rests are equally great. Cared for properly, they will work in any type of weather and/or temperature. Put a little Moleskin or camo fuzzy stuf on the bow riser, the bow shelf, and the bottom of your bow sight - no more noise.

Ya gots ta treat yer equipment proper.

daviidwilson
11-08-2010, 07:32 PM
I think your only worry may be broadhead freeze up if your shooting mechanicals but people bowhunt the arctic and I've never heard of a problem yet. Try calling a bow company and see what they say. Now I'm curious too.
I trust my PSE X-Force Axe in any temp. I'd be more worried about rests freezing up. or even better yet, release caliper frozen. PSE has the most state of the art testing facility bare none. I guess thats why they have been the leader in technology for the past 50 years.

Bow Walker
11-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Keep your equipment/arrows/mech broadheads dry and they won't freeze up. It's the moisture in there that freezes and gums up the action.