PDA

View Full Version : Elkoholism

snowhunter
10-06-2010, 01:48 PM
What kind of price does our society keep paying for this highly addictive, and nearly incureable disease of Elkoholism, that often affects familylife ?

Usually one good shoot from your favorite gun ends the Elkoholism, Or does it just aggrevate it further ?

I have, in order to help for a cure for myself, find out where the next meeting of "Elkoholic Anonymous" takes place....

Please Help, I know you understand :)

rocksteady
10-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Snowhunter... Don't know how to break it to you...

THERE IS NO CURE !!!!

You are beyond help, 12 step programs do not work...

Anyone who says they are a "recovering" elkaholic is just a plain lying Bast$%d...

Once you have it, you will have it til you leave this earth...and maybe later on if there is such a thing as the "happy hunting grounds"....

Sorry if you were not ready to hear the truth...but now you can get on with life....

Time to man up and just go with it...Fighting it is useless

elkdom
10-06-2010, 02:07 PM
What kind of price does our society keep paying for this highly addictive, and nearly incureable disease of Elkoholism, that often affects familylife ?

Usually one good shoot from your favorite gun ends the Elkoholism, Or does it just aggrevate it further ?

I have, in order to help for a cure for myself, find out where the next meeting of "Elkoholic Anonymous" takes place....

Please Help, I know you understand :)

there are NO SUCH formal meetings,,,"Elkoholics Anonymous"
it is not necessary,to have a meeting for perfectly normal behavior,,,,,
there is nothing wrong with"'elk-obsessiveness",,,
everything and anything, is less important, than the pursuit of elk,,,

why would anyone seek a cure for something so normal????:confused:

Mik
10-06-2010, 02:15 PM
I do not know of what you are speaking about! I have never shot a bull elk! The high I get is to "whack a Mt. Goat :) ..... "Goatism" just doesn't quite have the same ring as your title... LoL

Maybe one day I'll get the "elkaholism thing"
But first I would need some GpS co-ordinates;)

elkdom
10-06-2010, 02:21 PM
I do not know of what you are speaking about! I have never shot a bull elk! The high I get is to "whack a Mt. Goat :) ..... "Goatism" just doesn't quite have the same ring as your title... LoL

Maybe one day I'll get the "elkaholism thing"
But first I would need some GpS co-ordinates;)

it is a VERY small step from Goats to Sheep, just be careful,,,,

you never know when someone is filming!:neutral:

Mik
10-06-2010, 03:17 PM
it is a VERY small step from Goats to Sheep, just be careful,,,,

you never know when someone is filming!:neutral:

You never know! Do ya? But sheepis next, I'm gonna do it! As for filming, bring it on, when your legal, one has nothing toworry about:)

snowhunter
10-06-2010, 04:54 PM
The (rocket propelled ?) speed, spooked elk accelerate gives me Elkoholism, from zero to 100 mile an hour in split seconds, often, while stalking the elk, just gives me 1-2 seconds to reacts before they are gone, just to make a quick and sudden stop within 100 yards or so, to check me out, before running completely out of sigh, but never not long enough for me to get over the surprise and lift my gun for another shoot, and when they are shot, the dead elk can still run a considerable distance on it's high velocity momentum, before dropping.

I begin to believe that I need to use heavy bullets in my 30 caliber guns in order to stop or slow down or stop a spooked and running elk ?

Has anyone in these fine pages experience in using 220 grain, 30 caliber bullets on elk ? Or do I need to use larger calibers and heavier bullets to find a cure for my severe case of Elkoholism ?

blackbart
10-06-2010, 05:36 PM
From what I have read there is a very large group meeting currently occurring in the WK's. It also sounds like a number of folks have recently been cured of their "Elkoholism" problem through the attendance of said group meeting! The cure may not be permanent however, perhaps a future backslide will occur next year when the group meeting is predicted to be smaller?

bear buster
10-06-2010, 05:48 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs728.snc4/64869_495302104672_774369672_6721654_6419854_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6721655&id=774369672)

Elkaddict
10-06-2010, 06:46 PM
The following is an excerpt from an email I sent to my father following this years hunt. He can no longer hunt with us, but very much enjoys the stories. As Rocksteady says, there is no cure. This memory will feed the addiction until next year, only about 340 more sleeps!!

Next morning we got up and did some more glassing. It had gotten quite warm, and things had slowed down dramatically. After a couple of hours and seeing only one bull, far too high on the slide we decided to go down to where I shot my bull and glass that part of the river. We were just coming up to the rim of the bank when I heard a bugle. I eased up to the edge and looked down on a "Wild Kingdom" moment. This was the defining moment of this year's hunt, that one super memory that will last forever, eclipsing pulling the trigger on my bull by a long shot. I looked down on to a group of cows and calves on the far shore of the river. The final count was 9, I can't remember whether it was 6 and 3 or 5 and 4, doesn't matter I guess. There were a couple of cows in the water. I don't know if they were playing or fighting, I think the former. They would run at each other, bounce, and spray water. The sun was low in the sky and caught the splashing water in mid air, making it look like flying jewels. If this was not enough, out of the grass a couple of yards away steps the bull. He just stood there proud as shit, looking over his girls, and making sure no one strayed too far away. I was in awe.

We watched the cows and calves cross the river one by one and then Dad came across after everyone was safely on our side. He stepped from the water and shook his coat. Thousands of tiny droplets sparkled in the sunshine. Try as I might I could not count six points on this bull. He had a very dark rack and a dark almost black head and mane. He lifted his head and I could make out two nice long G1s, but could not see the G2s. He was at about 450 yds. The right side antler was in a classic 5 pt. configuration, the left side had a small sticker out the back, making him a 5X6 IF he had two brow tines, but I just could not see the G2s.

The cows had started to filter into a small grove of pines, if they kept going in that direction they would break cover just below us at 350 yds. No one was in a hurry so I made the decision to run back to the truck and get the spotting scope. It was the only way I could see if he was legal. As luck would have it, after I left, Chris said a couple of the cows moved up a grassy slough directly towards us, and the bull followed to herd them back to the others. He apparently came up to about 350 yds in full sun. I probably could have made the count. Being Chris's first elk hunt he didn't trust himself to make sure the bull was legal. By the time I got back, all the cows were in the timber on the far side of the river. The bull stood in the middle of the water at 350 yds, took a look around and followed his girls into the timber before I could set up the scope.

swampthing
10-07-2010, 07:40 PM
I think huntism is what we all have. My wife is giving me the evil eye right now because I am "hunting" on the laptop. No matter what your quarry, happy hunting.

ELKAHOLICS
10-31-2010, 11:58 PM
couldnt help to reply. A 300 win mag,or weatherby 30-378 will always,with experience lay them infront of you. the elkaholism is the need to hunt these vocal creatures,hunt, photograph,if you have time teach the young,and the old our way of life. its an incredible obsession.:-D

The Hermit
11-01-2010, 12:53 AM
If there are degrees of this happy affliction be forewarned you triflers - you rifle hunters - you modern-day Hephaestus ... foreshadowing the inevitable there is a sign written in the sweet sweat of a millennium's fruitless effort that hangs over the traditional bowhunter's elk camp that says "All hope abandon, ye who enter here!". (With apologies to Dante)

Other than standing toe to toe with a grizzly nothing else quite gets me so wired as being in a head-on stare down at ten yards from a screaming stomping bull... straining at full draw, stick and string, heart racing, waiting for him to whirl broadside in an escape attempt and my opportunity to loose and paint my arrow in frothy red. Alas my friends, he walked backwards away into the bush and disappeared. I named him Dionysus and yet dream of meeting him Sept 1st in the mountain's dawn.

Signed,

Sisyphus The Hermit