PDA

View Full Version : Recreational Halibut Closure

IronNoggin
10-06-2010, 10:57 AM
FN0891-Recreational Halibut: All areas - Halibut Fishing Closure#8207;
Category(s): RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0891-Recreational Halibut: All areas - Halibut Fishing Closure

Throughout the 2010 recreational halibut fishing season, the Department in conjunction with the Sport Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB) Halibut Working Group have reviewed in-season monthly catch estimates.

Catch information indicates that the recreational share of the Total Allowable Catch has been reached.

Therefore, recreational fishing for halibut will close effective 23:59hrs October 18, 2010 for the balance of the year.

2011 management actions will be developed throughout the fall and announcements will be made in early 2011.

Variation Order 2010-395 is in effect.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Contact: Tamee Mawani 604-666-9033 or Devona Adams 604-666-3271

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0891
Sent October 6, 2010 at 09:40
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca (http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/)
.................................................. .........................

This is Complete and utter BS! From First-hand observance, the hit from Bamfield, Port and Ukee was down substantially right across the board this season! For the first season in my experience, a great many of the clients didn't even want to bother with the run out for a single fish each, preferring instead to Enjoy The Madness that the salmon fishing was instead. And while the crew of guides did collect a few, our collective experience strongly points out that the numbers were NO-WHERE near those of the past several seasons.

A similar case many here are not likely aware of...
Area G Troll (WCVI) realizes a September opening based completely upon any "surplus" TAC left over once the recreational sector numbers have been tabulated for that particular season. Given DFO's stance towards Area G of late, it came as no surprise that the numbers were "tweaked" just enough to deny any such opening this fall. However, once the numbers provided by the Department were analyzed by outside investigators, a LOUD Cry went up both from the Area G Representatives, as well as those representing the Recreational Sector. Were the numbers thus provided to be believed, it was readily apparent that EVERY SINGLE TRIP to the grounds had resulted in ALL anglers FAR surpassing their legal catch numbers! Shocking! :confused:
When the cry began to wander towards Enforcement issues as a consequence, DFO immediately changed those numbers (a fairly massive reduction actually) and announced an opening for Area G without sufficient time left in the month to prosecute it! So, in the end, by twisting the data to their own agenda, they did realize what their intent was - basically keeping Area G OFF the water. :evil:

The reason I post that is there are direct parallels between that little (sickening) scenario, and what is occurring with recreational halibut fishing. I did note that several folks have stated that they are prepared to take DFO to task over this new set of "spun" catch figures. I would like to amongst the first to note that if there is Anything I can do to help that along, please do feel free to count on me! :wink:

Methinks the time is long overdue we stood idly by while we are continuously lied to to our detriment!

Thoughts?

Ticked!
Nog

Mr. Dean
10-06-2010, 11:40 AM
What,,,, Hali is CLOSED!?!?!?!???

I didn't get the chance to spend my 5K this year in pursuing my ONE ALLOWED FISH! And now I guess it's off the books entirely. :cry:

I don't get it.
I don't understand it.
I don't like it.

I have written my MORE than fair share of letters over the years, concerning OUR Halibut Fishery.... Others haven't, PLAIN AND SIMPLE! :mad:

Nog;
Do you know what stance the SFAB took on this matter?

blindguy
10-06-2010, 12:13 PM
well there goes 10grand worth of haly charters i had lined up for the end of oct start of nov great just great.

IronNoggin
10-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Nog;
Do you know what stance the SFAB took on this matter?

Awaiting a reply, will post once that is in...

Nog

10-08-2010, 01:04 PM
The following news release has just been issued by BCWF:

BCWF Questions Why Public Access to Halibut Closed, While Private Harvest Continues

So, you thought Canada’s fish resources were owned by the public. Not according to Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO), says The BC Wildlife Federation.

On October 18 the public will be prohibited from retaining halibut for the rest of the year while private interests continue to harvest this species. Once again, the Harper government, through the actions of DFO, skewers coastal communities in BC by depriving them of economic opportunities from the recreational fishery. Why? Because, in contravention of the Fisheries Act, our federal government has gifted 88% of the total allowable catch quota of halibut to 327 private businessmen to dispose of as they choose.

“Over half of this commercial quota is not even being fished by the original quota recipients,” said Wayne Harling, a member of BCWF’sTidal Water Fisheries Committee. “Instead, they lease ‘their’ quota annually for $2 -$3 per pound (in some cases, this amounts to more than $100,000) and retire to warmer climates at the expense of the Canadian public. And that gift was permanent which means that their quota can be sold or passed on to relatives in perpetuity, even if the recipients never fish for halibut”.

“This gifting of halibut quota is just the tip of the iceberg”, said Paul Rickard, also a member of BCWF’sTidal Water Fisheries Committee . “Unless there is a public uproar over this give-away of halibut, DFO intends to go the same route for all commercially-caught fish and shellfish on the Pacific coast. All Canadians who value our public fishery should contact Federal Fisheries Minister Gail Shea to voice their concern.”

For further information, please contact Patti MacAhonic, Executive Director, BCWF, at 604-291-9990 extension 230 or 604-308-1914.

Mr. Dean
10-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Same old, same old...... I guess DFO see's that it's easier to manage 327 individuals than it is to play ball with all us Rec-Fishers.

And we let them. :mad:

FishBC.org
10-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Wow. What a crock. How about instead of taking out the recreational fishermen who would go out and catch one fish to feed their families, instead they should shut down the commercial fisheries.

Simply amazing.

Crooked isn't even the word.

This almost tops the cake when out hunting last year I came across an entire remote camp full of American BOEING employees, who had an all expense paid trip, and "Shoot Anything" tags purchased direct from our government. This just proves to me it's all about the money to the government and they give no care to us who were born here and do this for fun, or introduce others to the fun.

Am I shocked? No.

dryflyguy57
10-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Shoot Anything Tags . Never heard of that before . Who was running the the show ? Sounds like some of our fishing lodges on this coast .

FishBC.org
10-12-2010, 07:24 AM
I couldn't believe it either, but allegedly Americans and corporations can buy multi tags for things we cannot shoot without a LE (Eg big bulls, Grizz, etc), all legal and purchased at a very expensive rate. Pretty sad when we as residents have to put in a LE to get a big bull, but an american with a fist full of dollars can get auto granted such a tag for a high price. Sad but true. I had never ever heard of this either prior. They were loaded with an arsenal that would make Arnold look like a wimp. One even offered to fornicate with the bear I had shot an hour prior (Black) over the tailgate of my truck. It was something else that's for sure. There was about 8 of them on the trip. It was at Middle River Camp in 7-26.
I don't even think these guys were guided, unless I missed the guide, but looked more to me like they had just "rented" a cabin. I'm unsure, but I thought the "Guide" is granted so many tags, and they can be used by the guided hunters, but that's not the way it sounded to me when we happened upon this.
This wasn't last season, but the season before.

willy442
10-12-2010, 04:32 PM
I couldn't believe it either, but allegedly Americans and corporations can buy multi tags for things we cannot shoot without a LE (Eg big bulls, Grizz, etc), all legal and purchased at a very expensive rate. Pretty sad when we as residents have to put in a LE to get a big bull, but an american with a fist full of dollars can get auto granted such a tag for a high price. Sad but true. I had never ever heard of this either prior. They were loaded with an arsenal that would make Arnold look like a wimp. One even offered to fornicate with the bear I had shot an hour prior (Black) over the tailgate of my truck. It was something else that's for sure. There was about 8 of them on the trip. It was at Middle River Camp in 7-26.
I don't even think these guys were guided, unless I missed the guide, but looked more to me like they had just "rented" a cabin. I'm unsure, but I thought the "Guide" is granted so many tags, and they can be used by the guided hunters, but that's not the way it sounded to me when we happened upon this.

Can't legally happen as you are describing.

FishBC.org
10-13-2010, 11:08 AM
That's what I figure, HOWEVER, I am under the impression it would be a guide's tags they required, and there IS a guide at that camp, but the american's told us they didn't have a guide with them that day. I have no idea what to make of that other than.. Well SOMEONE could be in big trouble?

It's only now when thinking back to it, how wrong that whole situation really was.

sako_300
10-14-2010, 10:52 AM

What are you talking about... as Willy says this isn't possible.

MB_Boy
10-14-2010, 11:05 AM
Halibut closure to Boeing employees buying magical hunting permits that don't require a guide to accompany them?

This sure went sideways. :-?

FishBC.org
10-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Didn't it lol. Anyhows back to the Halibut closure.
Oh No's...
And I was going to fish for some this winter.